Universal Rent A Car / Fraudulent charge!

1 5400 Dixie RoadMississauga, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 416 676 2021

I am a retired person living on Canadian Security payments. I am at a loss to know whom I should turn to when I am cheated by this Car rental company. If you are unable to resolve this please advise as to where I should turn for help. I give my story below.

Rental Agreement C. with Universal Rent A Car.

Arranged by CarRentals.com.

On the morning of 18th February I rented a car through Carrentals.com website to go to the airport that evening. The car was picked up from Universal Rent A Car, situated on 5400 Dixie Road, Mississauga. The agreement was that on return we would be dropped off at the airport. I, my spouse and another couple used it for the transport to the airport in the evening. As we had to report at the airport at 4.30pm, I arrived with another passenger at 5400 Dixie Road at about 4.30pm to return the car. We stayed there for a long time to be attended to. However the person in charge was on the phone for nearly half an hour. Saying that we will be late to the airport, one of the junior officers came over to clear our vehicle. He, along with both of us went around the vehicle and did a vehicle check up. Then he checked inside of the vehicle and the odeometer. Then he asked both of us to hop in and that he would drop us off at the airport. At that time we asked for a receipt for the vehicle return. He said that his boss was busy on the phone and it was getting delayed to go to the airport. He said that it would be sent in the mail. I trusted his words and left for the airport to fly out of Canada.

We returned to Toronto late on the 26th evening. On checking the messages on the answering machine the following day I found a message from Universal Rent A Car. It was to say that there was a damage on the windshield and that the cost of the repairs would be recovered from the Visa Card. I wish to state that there were no windshield damages on the car when I returned it, or was any pointed out to me at that time. The rental company now maintains that there was a windshield damage on the car and that this was pointed out. However, I still maintain that there were no windshield damages on the car and also if it was pointed out at the time of taking delivery why should he leave a message later on on my answering machine.

I also took this up with Carrentals.com and it merely forwarded my email to Universal Rent A Car and replied to await for a reply from Universal Rent A Car. The rental charges for the day was only $25.71cts, but the rental company had charged $282.00 on the Visa Card. I give my 'phone no. in case you wish to contact. It is. I also give the 'phone no. of Universal Rent A Car and it is.

Thanking You,
N.Sivarama.

Comments

2nd of Apr, 2008

Hello,

My name is Noshee. I rented a car from Universal Rental for two days. The charge should be about $55.00 plus tax. I handed over the car and gave them thorough inspection and they were satisfied with it along with the Gas. I have just found out that they have charged my credit card for about $400.00.

I would pursue this fraud with appropriate authorities in Canada and with my credit card company.

Noshee.

• Qm
      20th of Apr, 2008

kick it back by going thru your visa card.
    Call visa and dispute it, they would need to prove it
    Q

• Si
      17th of May, 2008

NEVER RENT FROM UNIVERSAL RENT-A-CAR IN TORONTO ON 5400 DIXIE RD.
    ok guys, trust me on this one. I think the only reason I made my reservation from this stupid place was because it was little cheaper than others. I rented from www.carrentals.com But will NEVER do it EVER again atleast not for this location and company and you SHOULDN'T as well.
    First of all, the guys working there are the most ignorant people I have met in my whole life.
    I made my online reservation and was supposed to pick up a car at some rate, I called this company at 18663035888 ATLEAST 3 times to make a slight pick-up time change but it never was done. I am brown myself but the paki guys working there I think shouldn't be in this country, I mean the people who have no idea about the country they are living in or understand its values GO BACK. I had my reservation and confirmation# and STILL they didn't have car with them and Stupid ### was giving me reason that he has never seen QUEBEC license before and doesn't know how it should look like and it might be fake. He asked for another ID and was like I don't know how to read the second ID as its from QUEBEC as well. I mean how dumb you have to be not to be able to see a name and photo on ID.
    The dumass working there was some paki called kashif and the manager (omar) was no help either and hung up rudely (even though I was really polite).
    I ended u calling COPS, but the guy got scared and took off and NOW im filing a civil court case as they charged me in advance and I had my prior commitments and they didn't have car even though I had my confirmation. I WASTED so much time and peace of my mind.
    SO AGAIN PLZZ save yourself from the hassle and have to deal this some of the most annoying people in your life, DO NOT RENT CAR FROM THERE...

• Sy
      12th of Jun, 2008

universal rent a car is a big fraud. I put a dispute against the charge. He charge me $76.89 where it is supposed to be $24.18. This guy should be punish by the law.

12th of Jun, 2008

I do agree that these guys are fraud. But hello Mr. the owner is not Paki guy but Indian Guy Singh. Did not you notice one big guy wearing Turban. Anyway, I got my money back from them. They also did not have car for me besides registering in advance.

• Mr
      23rd of Jun, 2008

I'm really surprised at you people, 'the customer'. I mean what do you expect when you rent a car from the cheapest bidder, the best service? Come on, spend another 5-10 dollars more and use a respectable company...and maybe then you wont have any problems! Everyone always expects the best service for the lowest price, when will it change, i dont know. I've rented cars from several local toronto car rental companies, and most have been acceptional. I've also rented from Universal in the past and had similar results, money gauging is what it is. They know you wont come back, so might as well take you for what you are worth! My advice, deal with a bigger brand company, atleast you can get some results.

• Sh
      13th of Jul, 2008

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS PLACE BIGEST CHEATERS, RUD AND THIFES
    DO NOT RENT FROM rentalcar.com EITHER BECAUSE ITS THERE RESPONSIBILITY TO SCREEN THE COMPANIES, BECAUSE ANY THIFE LIKE UNIVERSALL CAN ADVERTISE ON THERE SITE

I rented a car over christmass from universall through rentalcar.com.It was the worst experince of my life .First they told me that they have sold the car because i was late one hour, when i told them that the plane was late and I kept on leaving massages on your voice mail that the plane is late and we will be there to pick up the car.He told me that it was is not up to him if the plane was late.Finally after lots of arguments they gave us one of there personal car which was dirty smelly and not working properly.After that i decided not to rent a car only from universall cheater I will even rent a car from rentalcar.com.
    I think it is there responsibility to advertise credible companies on there web site
    d

• Iv
      30th of Jul, 2008

Guys, I came from Canada two days ago and found out that my credit card was charged by the Universal $ 1000 more. I have no idea why as I returned car in the perfect condition...then a friend of mine has informed me that there was small hole in the front window...this is why...so they charged me without any need to contact me by phone or email...I want ask them to provide me with the any prove and with the invoice for that window which I have doubts woudl cost a such an amount of money! But I ma prretty sure there was no any hole. But the way is very strange. I agree...all this company sucks.i

• D
      23rd of Oct, 2008

I am adding my name to the growing list of people scammed by Universal at 5400 Dixie Rd in Toronto. Although the agreement clearly stated unlimited mileage when I returned my car they tried to charge me an extra $75.00 for mileage - when I complained they asked for a copy of my boarding pass, which I faxed to them immediately (apparently local renters are subject to a max. of 200km/day). The manager Omar agreed to refund my payment, but I have been waiting for over two weeks now. Totally unprofessional rip-off artists. I even returned the car with extra gas in it

18th of Nov, 2008

DONT EVER RENT FROM THIS GUY. CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD STATMENT, THEY WILL CHARGE YOUR CARD AFTER A MONTH. I HAVE DISPUTED WITH MASTER CARD..

30th of Dec, 2008

UNIVERSAL RENT A CAR IT IS A REAL SCAM!!! AVOID. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.
    My plane was late so I could not pick my car on time, but I called them and let them know that I want to keep my reservation. They said not a problem.
    When I got to that rental place, they told me that it was automatically canceled because I did not pick a car up on time (2h window). They did not care about my earlier calls. They got me another car not for $29.99 but for $55.99 plus some 3rd party insurance for $8.99 a day ?????!!!
    Upon inspection of the car, the guy did not tell me about some huge scratches on the right side of the car (back passenger door. When I saw that, he said that he was going to mention that (yeah right).
    That was late evening, no sun light when I was surrendering that car back to them. The guy from the distance of few meters saw a stone chip on the front windshield. I did not notice that and he saw that right away. I am pretty sure that that was there when I rented a car, I just did not pay attention to that (my bad). He said that there is nothing to worry about since my credit card insurance is going to cover that, and I will not be charged anything. I said that I am not going to sign any of the documents so then he said something about me having a conversation with his boss (like I give a dame. After me having arguments for few minutes I said that I will only sign a statement that there is a stone chip on the windshield, and I need all the copies of the documents that i signed along with his signature. I knew that non of the insurance companies will pay for windshield replacement because of that.
    There is one very important thing, that company is not created to make money on a car rental. It is made to make money by committing different kinds of frauds!!!
    The first thing that I did after I left their office was a phone call to my bank. I reported my card lost, so there is no chance to charge me anything right know. On the top o this they should never make a xerox copy of the credit card, it is like giving them permission to use it whenever they want to!!!
    They called me this morning, since they are not able to charge my credit card, to give them claim number co they can get some money from insurance.
    I do not know if they are just taking some chances or they are really dumb people. They called me from Canada here in US thinking that I am going to help them to screw myself up. Really interesting.

My advice is avoid that place, help me to remove that place from the car rental web search engines. Write your complain to http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/compform/english/complaint.asp.

If they got you for some reason, immediately block your credit card to avoid any charges. Do not let them make any copies of your documents. Ask for a copy of every document that you sign. Best of all do not sign anything, you are not obligated to do it by any of the laws. If they have a problem with that tell them to call caps and write a report. DO not listen to them, they are just a bunch of ###s whose main goal is to screw you on money.

Hope it helps.
    Best

• Ni
      22nd of Mar, 2009

thanks for your feedbacks, i actually booked a car for April 4 and then i cancelled the reservation after reading all these feedbacks, thanks again

• Sc
      3rd of Jul, 2009

Hello all customers who think u got scammed. i used to work for universal rent a car and i know dey charge ppl alot but dey cannot charge u just for no reason.dey have xcuses to charge n customers leave dose xcuses like get a parking ticket n ignore itdey charge u for parkin ticket + 50$ service charge and most probably none of u guys were responsible enough to read all policies that r ritten in tiny words.10 ppl out of 100, 000 every year complain and dats normal in every business ppl even complain to Mcdonald and dey get more complaints dan ne one else dey don close it down, ppl ignore small thngs and end up paying for dat, if all u guys gto scammed by them how come none of you could do nethng in country like canada. N u mister SINGH talkn abt paki guys the owner ius one of u guys and he don give a ### abt his own race. dere r 1000s of customers who come back almost every next month, bottom line no one can scam u. if u r dumb u think u got scammed cuz u don wanna admit da fact that u r dumb enough to know wat u r doing.THANK YOU

• Mt
      8th of Jan, 2010

thanks for the tip. I was going to rent from them because of their cheap rate, but don't want the hassles afterwards, so I will find another rental company. thanks.

• De
      27th of Feb, 2010

i have had no issues with the company, the problem with most of you people who are complaining is that your tooo damn lazy to read the fine print at the back, there is a reason why the rental company does an inspection with you when u take the car and make u sign the inspection sheet while u inspect the car with them and theres a reason y they inspect it when u bring it back also, as far as the fraudulant charges that many of you people here are complaining about is not true, every company has the right to charge you especially if u dont pick up your damn fones, also to save themselves from you lazy people out there, , there is a reason why they make u sign soo many different places on the contract, ALSO living in Canada every car that you drive needs insurance in order to drive it by law, and credit card insurance only covers Collision, you can fully clarify that with your credit card company they dont cover liability, so you have to purchase liability! i been renting cars for 5 years now with all sorts of companies, and with universal rentacar i have had no issues with them, People just ask for wayy too damn much, and when they get it they still want more, if your paying 15buks a day for a car especially if the car is between 2007-2010 thats a great deall stop complaining wut more do u want!

• Ao
      20th of Mar, 2010

I agree. I have rented from Universal several times and have never had any problems with them. They have always been punctual to pick me up from the airport and have addressed me politely - in fact much more politely than some of the major car rental companies I have dealt with. In fact, during the last time I rented from them, there was poor lighting when I inpected the car so I did not noticed a small chip and crack on the windshiled and only noticed it the next day. At the end of the rental when I returned the car I pointed out the chip and crack to the Universal Car Rental agent, thinking that it may have happened some time during the first night of the rental without me noticing it. The agent was kind enough to inform me that the chip and crack was there when I tool the car and that I should not worry about it - that was last Christmas and since then they have not "scmmed" me by charging anything to my credit card as some of you put it. So, I agree with the last commenter. The interesting thing is that automatically charging damages to a car renter's credit card is not something unique to Universal. One of the really large international car renters did exactly that to me. As to rudeness, I have never received rudeness from rental agents at Universal but have receicved plenty of it from the large international agencies. The bottom line? I shall continue to rent from universal - as I am really averse to being gorged by the large international car rental agencies. Why should I pay $60 to $75 per day for a car from the large agencies while, for a ten minutes drive away from the airport, I can rent for as low as $8.99 per day?

• Gh
      25th of Sep, 2010

It seems like "scar.boi" and"dexter" are a part of the Universal car rental. pretending on this forum to be "satisfied customers"...
    does any one else smells a rat as well??

4th of Oct, 2010

SCAM!!SCAM!!SCAM!!SCAM!!SCAM!!SCAM!!SCAM!!SCAM!!

BIG TIME SCAMSTERS..charged me over $1000 for nothing..the SINGH guy is a big cheat..am an indian but this guy has no shame...how come we are not able to do any thing..lets all who got scammed file a case!!

• Ka
      6th of Jun, 2011

I was charged for damages that never existed when I returned the car. I got receipt on purpose to show that fact before I left BUT still my credit catd was charged $950!!! They are using our money to buy new cars or fix the junky ones they have!!!

• Mr
      5th of Apr, 2012

I was looking to rent a cheap car for my trip to Toronto, but after reading all this crap they pull on people I will spend a little more to save a whole bunch later! Why are theses guys still in business??? I think a Class Action Suit would put them under!