Universal Power / Deceiving new customers

1 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Universal power agent came to my home and asked for utility bills. I gave him and was told that I am not signed to any protection plan and that is fine to sign with them. After couple of phone calls from Universal power I agreed to sign with them. Two days after that I had another phone call from Direct Energy claiming that i agreed over the phone with them and have to pay early cancellation fee. I talked to Universal power and they said that it is fine that that they had meeting and won contract to Direct Energy. Now I have letter from collection agencies that I have to pay fee to Direct Power. Universal Power forgot about our talk couple of months ago.

I was not told truth twice first on my door step and second dealing with them over the phone. Do not sign anything with them

Du

Comments

• Ji
      4th of Dec, 2008

I agree they are currently tryin to collect a insane amount for disconnect fees after i sold my home!

19th of Feb, 2009

I know, I signed on with Universal Power July 2008, and I'm the kind of person who doesnt really take a good look at what's on my monthly utility bills. This month i received a HUGE Hydro bill and I called to find out why. They reminded me I signed up with them, which means I had to pay an extra $150 to Universal Power. I looked on their website, and they still had the B.S. promises like "November 2008 rates are going up 12%, sign up now to save, lock in at 7.99..." umm. It's Feb 2009 and the rates are 5.6. What a big lie. Also, the guy who came to my door explained I'd be guaranteed to save so much money, and I asked about cancelling, he said no problem, you change your mind, call us and we'll cancel it no charge. Well I called yesterday to cancel and they're demanding a $650 early termination fee! Wow, what a crock. I'm going to find a way of this, I have to! It's too much B.S. to be valid.

• Do
      27th of Feb, 2009

I am also the victim of this B.S. scam - October 2007, I moved into a rental townhouse - the next day, 2 young girls of Asian/Philippino descent came knowking at my door, offering"Price Protection" - when I asked them what it was all about, they told me that they are collecting consumenrs names to take to the government so that they will "NEVER" be an increase in hydro bills - I advised them that I just moved in the day before, and not yet in possession of any bills - another set of 3 Asian/Philippino girls showed up again knocking at my door 3 weeks after, to follow up on "the commitment" I made to them, which I refuted, because I never made a commitment with them, since my landlord just faxed a request to Hydro to create an account for me.
    To make a long story short, I finally gave them a copy of, y bill for their review, later, received a check of $25.00 in the mail - when I asked them for the reason of the check, and for the mention at the back of the check, I was advised not to be bothered with the mention, that I could cancel the plan any time - WHAT PLAN? I never agreed to any plan with them, and to my surprise, 3 weeks later, they send me a "contract" with an increase of hydro charges - I send them a letter advising them that I never agreed to anything, send a letter to Hydro Mississauga that I did not agree to anything with Universal Power, and to my surprise, the january 2009 bill came with a charge of almost 90.00 for Universal Power, and I expire the account.

The next week, I received threatening letters from a collections agency, as well as from Universal Power employees, to pay $650.00 for early termination fee.

I am moving back to Africa - this is worse than the worse conditions we experienced in Africa, and I do not care about my credit - i will come back to Canada after 5 years, and it will no longer show on my credit report, as the statut of limitation is now only 2 years.