Universal PowerDeceiving cost savings

1 Review updated:

Over a year ago...a very friendly young man came to our door at night. He was so convincing about the governments plan to increase hydro rates and managed to convice us that by going with a protected rate with Universal Power we would be in a better situation.
A year later; our hydro bills have more than doubled. The protected rate offered to us was only in place for 2 months and since then I have discovered, from speaking to a friendly associate at Ontario Hydro, that Universal power is also adding on the Provincial benefit (charges) to my bill. With the government the provincial benefit is also paid but it is covered within the rate (kwH).
When I called Universal the service rep referred to me to my brochure and started talking about the Provincial Benefit REBATE and how that is an added charge...pretty sure that the word REBATE means return of funds, not extra charges.

So I am actually paying almost 12cents / KwH for my hydro in this latest reconcilation bill. ...compared to a cost of around 6 cents with the government!!!
I am going to get out of this contract...I am appalled that any company can be deceitful and allowed to charge for energy at this price.

DON"T sign with them...they obviously are using lies to attract customers and are not conducting business with any kind of morals.

I am currently waiting to hear from someone from the company to discuss my contract cancellation, and am certain that will be a fight. Since I don't believe they have lived up to their contractual obligations by charging me in excess of the guaranteed rate...does anyone have any advice on how to best approach this challenge.

Comments

Jun 29, 2009

I agree, something needs to be done. We have had the same thing happen to us. We call them about once a week . They tell us to get out of the contract it will cost over a thousand dollars. That wasnt in the copy of the contract that they sent to me when i requested a copy because they didnt leave me one. But then again I guess they didnt want us to know that the gentleman a the door lied. He said he was representing Veridian.My hydro and gas doubled. How much can two people use? Especially when they are gone all day. I agree something needs to be done. But at what cost? I know they are not getting a thousand dollars or more from me to break a contract, to witch they were deceitful about in the first place. I will give it to a lawyer first.

• Jc
      Sep 01, 2009

Ditto here. I'm about a 10 months into my 5 year contract. I just called them and they quoted $626.64 to cancel.

I just took a look at the historical rates going back 5 years for the provincial benefit (www.ieso.ca), and in that time there have only been a few times on a given month that there was actually a rebate (barely). In the long run, it just makes sense to cut my losses now and break the contract.

I talked to Veridian and they said they are receiving a lot of complaints about Universal but can't do anything about it.

• Pa
      Sep 13, 2009

I am also dealing with the bull ... with universal power. They quoted me $814.00 to get out of the contract. I don't know here to turn. The provincial benefit last month was $89.00 alone. Help, this is making me crazy.

• To
      Sep 24, 2009

i agree with everyone's opinion here! We too, , , were fooled with signing up with Universal Power... Our hydro bill has doubled.. and I have never had a reasonable bill since! I tried to cancel.. and when I did they sent me a notice saying I had to pay $700 to get out of my contract... this is because they supposively bought hydro for me... and so I could get it at the fixed price.. and to get out of the contract... and I would have to pay them back for that...sorry if this doesn't make much sense.. but I am so frustrated!
    I feel so helplesss...
    if anyone knows how to get out of this contract asap... PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!
    Tonya
    Lindsa, Ontario

• To
      Oct 22, 2009

does anyone know if you can call the actual hydro company.. and ask THEM to take universal power off your bill?? they want five hundred from me to cancel!!!
    please help