Universal Power / cancellation charge to cancel contract

Canada, Ontario, Madoc Review updated:
universal power
a guy came to the house to offer a good deal for hydro .he made my wife believe that he was with hydro which was incorrect. At the time we asked if we moved or rented an apartment that we could cancel the contract. he said yes no problem. we were so wrong. In April we sold our house and informed them that house would change hands in may 9. They said that no problem cancelling contract just fax sale of house, morguage paid, agreement to rent, and all other information done...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ big f...

We got notification that they Did not receive it, we gave them verification of faxed infocost 10.00 to sent .Couple of weeks later we got a call if we did not send documents again we would go to collection roughly 1400.00 with penalty and cancellation. so like good people we resent info again $10.00 PLEASE . GOT A CALL AGAIN RESENT INFO. CALLED SEVERAL TIMES HARRASSING MY WIFE AND MAKING ME MAD.. QWE STATED WE SENT INFO TWICE AND THEN THEY STOPPED FOR A month then IT STARTED RIGHT BACK TO COLLECTION. AGAIN WE TOLD THEM WE SENT ALL INFO THAT THEY REQUIRED.

WE GOT A CALL THAT WE HAD TP PAY A PENALTY TO CANCEL CONTRACT AS WE DID NOT INFORM THEM IN TIME. we are good people who pay our bills and have never been in collection.this has been a bitterpill to swallow as this is ### $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ we finally paid them to get rid of them. IF THEY TRY AGAIN IT WILL BE HARASSMENT...

A  23rd of Jun, 2009 by
Universal power is a scammer. We moved from Canada last year to the US and later when I got laid off was back in ontario living with my inlaws.

We did inform Universal last year that we were moving and they said fine and told us that the service was cancelled.

Today we received a collections notice at our new address asking for $450 stating that as per the contract we were locked in for 5 years and even if we moved we have to pay a penalty.

Does this mean that when we sign, we agree to pay them for 5 years no matter if we r subscribing to the services or not? How could the legal systems allow them to operate in such a manner.
A  2nd of Jul, 2009 by
Absolute scam... I just sold my house and cancelled all utilities etc only to get a letter from Universal Power...they want upwards of 400$ for early termination fees. I am not purchasing another house nor will I be renting anywhere and they are still expecting the termination fees. Absolutely ridiculous! Do not sign on with these robbers. If anyone knows how to get out of this...please share.
N  30th of Jul, 2009 by
Same deal here. I signed on and they told me there'd be no charge for canceling if we sold our house.Guess what? They want to charge me over $400.00 to cancel my hydro. I really can't believe this is even legal. I have no idea how to get out of this, but I'm going to try.