Universal Gas And Electric Corporation / Unable to cancel service!

1 30555 Southfield RoadSouthfield, MI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 248-594-2345

Last month my wife signed us up for UNIVERSAL GAS AND ELECTRIC CORP. to start supplying us with our natural gas and we finally received the 1st BILL! Lets put it this way, I figured out what we would have been paying $65.00 less that what Universal Gas & Electric just charged us for only 1 month.

I had the wife call them and (ATTEMPT TO) cancel their services, that way we could just go back to the way it was with Consumers Energy charging us for our natural Gas.. Well Universal Gas told the wife that they already purchased us 5 years worth of Gas (at the locked in rate) and if we cancel now, there will be a $250.00 penalty. My advise, avoid them...

Va

Comments

• Na
      21st of Dec, 2007

I have some issues with the way they do business as well, but ALL consumers should expect their bills to go up at first. You are buying gas at a higher rate than your gas company is currently charging in hopes that the fixed rate they offer will eventually be significantly less than what your gas company charges. You suffer a little now in hopes that it will pay off in the long run. That's what I'm hoping for, praying that it's not a rip off.

• Ai
      28th of Dec, 2007

Just a few minutes ago, I got a knock at my door, in the middle of winter, and a snow storm. I open the door, to a man, with his head down at some papers, with him saying a speach about saving money on my gas bill, and told me he needed to see it, had my husband not been here, I dont think I would have answered the door, but since my husband was home. I sent my husband to the door, and let the sales man in. He saw our bill, and said we could save money. We gave him our info, and he asked us to sign, My husband, said not with out reading what were signing, and with out copies, well he wasnt going to give us any thing, so I took a look at the brochure that he wasnt going to give us, got the name and a phone munber and called,a nd looked on the internet, the only thing that came up, for this company was the name of te company and SCAM. So i called, and got no answer just lots of your on hold crap, please wait! Im so glad we just told him no thank you, and sent him on his way, if this was a great ideal, Im sure we would have heard of it sooner, and it would be all over te news as too, what a great ideal this is. Looks like this person just saved us, alot of grief and money! Thank you! Merry Christmas! oh, and my husband thinks the only reason they are going door to door, this time of day, is because most women would be home, with out their husbands, lol xoxo

• Fa
      11th of Jan, 2008

It's entrapment & false promises. They promise to save you big bucks on your gas bill and neglect to inform you it will cost you $250 extra when you find out and try to cancel.
    Consumer Protection Program is what they call it- who are they protecting? Certainly not the consumer. They trick & trap you into a five year contract.
    They caught me as I was pulling out of my drive way telling me they would get me the lowest cost for natural gas and that it would never go up. They neglected to tell me it would cost $250 to cancel their hignway robbery.
    You can bet the people who work for them don't use their services. why would they pay double for five years?

• La
      11th of Jan, 2008

They're scammy to the bone. I was recruited for a job at Universal Gas and Electric and this process was just as dishonest (fortunately, it didn't cost me anything) as the scam itself. They lure you in with promises of big promotions, expansions, excitement, and other hype. However, they don't tell you ... it's door to door sales! In fact, they tell you it isn't sales which it clearly is once they begin explaining the process in depth. They claim they're doing background checks on prospective employees and need resumes, but they don't. They just look for naive fools like me evidently.

I was there only one day and the script they were training us with sounded horribly unethical. The door to door agents themselves looked depressed and empty, while the managers seemed happier than kings.

They use a verbatim script to try to obtain your gas bill, but do not use a script for the service application process - they let you word it how you'd like. My guess is they don't want a script to be leaked for the service application process because it's the poisonous part and very likely borders on being illegal.

Consumers should be aware that agents are filling out an application form and only need a signature. Once they get this signature, you are locked into a service that you'll be lucky to get out of without a large fine.

So in summary, the same dishonest process used to trick consumers is used to recruit workers. I was the sixth smartest person that morning - I was the sixth person to leave in disgust.

• He
      15th of Jan, 2008

Very frustrated,just recieved bill after signing up for "Universal Gas" and realized what a scam this is. I tried to cancel plan but was told of 250.00 early term fee. Dear God this company is preying on the low economy in this state and are taking advantage of people who are trying to save any dollar they can. My question is what happens if we cancel and do not pay the 250.00? Affect our credit? This is by far the worst scam I have seen.
    We were never told of early term fees or 5 year contracts.

17th of Jan, 2008

I worked for the company in the office. I wish i had taken the other job i was offered. They do do background checks on employees. They were very hush hush with everything. It seemed very fishy to me. I found out from an ex agent that they fire the office help if they learn too much. They have been thru 5 people in a very short time. They have people up front so that when people walk out of what is called an interview they dont talk to eachother. Not a good company all around.

17th of Jan, 2008

I have had the same experience-a fast-talking "salesman" for Universal Gas and electric who assured me that I could cancel at any time-(Not just in the first 30 days) but that signing up would guarantee cheaper gas - and since I'm a senior citizen-his scare tactics (I'm ashamed to say) worked. I never got the call he promised would come within 24 hours-and when I had time to actually "READ" the contract-and realized I wanted nothing to do with it-I could never get through to a real person on their phone number-just an automated phone system that, when it said "you will be connected to a customer service agent"-only gave me a busy signal.
    Evidently because they were never able to call me, they finally sent me a letter-which I returned with CANCEL written on it. When their outrageous charge appeared on my gas bill 2 months later-I tried again to call-only to be given a very scripted run around with the end result of-"All I can do is have them send you a letter, because you didn't cancel your contract within the first 30 days." My complaint that I could never REACH anyone-was of course of no consequence.
    As much as I can NOT afford it-I plan to pay their BLOOD MONEY of $250 to get out of the contract and if there is a class action or consumers action group to FIGHT them-I would happily join them!

17th of Jan, 2008

This is the main office--
    Toronto, Ontario Canada

721 Kenoor se
    Grand Rapids, MI
    (616) 575-9215

Toll Free Phone: 1-877-863-2444

I heard channel 13wzzm is going to investigate anyone who got scammed by them might want to give them a call.

18th of Jan, 2008

WZZM 13 News Tip Line (616) 559-1300
    (616) 785-1313

• Sh
      20th of Jan, 2008

These people came to my door when I was as work. My live-in significant other told the girl she would have to come back when I came home. He signed what he thought was an appointment for her to come back and talk to me. When she did I told her I was not interested in their services. This was 10/30/2007. Now these people claim they have a signed contract which I still have not received a copy of. They said they sent we a welcome letter which never came because I never agreed. And now they want me to pay 250.00 to cancel something I never wanted to begin with. It might be a help to know that these people have a mult-million dollar lawsuit against them for unethical business practices. They are crooks in a suit. If they come to your door slam it in their face. FYI they don't need a signature to switch you all they need is your account number from your bill. Don't show them your bill that's their foot in the door so to speak.

• To
      22nd of Jan, 2008

I just got off the phone with this company, I too tried to cancel and was told I had to pay the $250.00 within 7 days or it will go to collections. They made everything sound so good when they came to the house, I thought I was doing something good for the family, not putting it into debt even farther. There has to be something that we all can do about this company, I can't afford to pay the bill after their company took over, it's close to double what consumers would have been, so how am I supposed to pay the cancellation fee. This is crazy. I was told I could cancel at any time or I would not have signed up with them. Hopefully other people will check them out before signing and not get screwed like we have.

• Kr
      22nd of Jan, 2008

I HAVE HAD A SIMILAR SITUATION WITH THIS COMPANY. I HAVE ALSO CONTACTED THE MICHIGAN PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION AT 800-292-9555. UNIVERSAL IS SAYING TO ME, THEY WON'T RESPOND OR ACKNOWLEDGE THE STATE OF MICHIGAN, THAT I DID NOT CALL TO CANCEL. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!! AND YES, THEY WANT TO CHARGE ME $250. TO CANCEL OR THEY WILL STILL BE ON MY BILL FOR 5 YRS TO COME! I AM A SINGLE MOM OF 4 AND THEY ARE CHARGING ME AN ADDITIONAL $200 PER MO MORE FOR MY GAS THAN CONSUMERS ENERGY. UNIVERSAL GUARANTEED THAT THEIR RATES WERE LOWER THAN CONSUMERS ENERGY, WHAT A LIE!! THE LADY FROM THE PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION SAYS TO BE ON THE LOOK OUT, THEY ARE STARTING AN ELECTRIC COMPANY NOW TOO!!

• Mg
      2nd of Feb, 2008

these clowns came to my house today. we were sick and had a lot going on and dogs were going nuts. this guy made it sound like they were an agency that protected against my provider raising my rate over $1.04 for 5 years. he looked at my gas bill and said we qualified for the program since we were under 2000 something or other. i just wanted him out of my face and i signed the paper. then i started researching and called to cancel right away. there better not be any charges on my bill. i filed a complaint with mich public service commission and im going to call universal again to file one, they have to report all complaints now so call them if they screwed you.

• Jm
      6th of Feb, 2008

I was an employee and trainer for this company towards the end of 2007.

They are bordering the line on ethics. They have you dress up like a gas man and "Enroll" customers.

They receive around twenty cents per ccf and give the "sales people 1 to 1 1/2 cents per cff.

You go door to door for 10 hours a day and make Around twenty bucks.

They even encouraged me to cross the border into Canada to work for them in Toronto. I got caught and almost was arrested at the border.

They are ###
    Run Run Run away from these clod hoppers.

• Wa
      8th of Feb, 2008

My wife signed up for us since I was 74 years old and they said I couldn't sign. This was December 20, 2007. They pronised a "cap" on the price per CCf of gas from them. We assumed are present rates would still be in effect and we would pay any natural gas price increases up to the "cap" that they mentioned. It wasn't spelled out to us that we would be paying that "cap" price right away for the next 5 years. On January 22, 2008 we received a letter from them that was dated JANUARY 2, 2008 (20 days before we received it) and it was in our hands 3 days after our 30 day Grace or Cooling off period as they put it. In their short letter they finally spelled it out very clearly that we would have to pay them $250 to have our "contract' cancelled else we would be paying $1.049 per Ccf of the natural gas we used for 5 years. Figuring it roughly, it would cost us over $10 more a month right away. I sent them a registered letter on January 29, 2008 which I have record of them receiving on January 31, 2008. I told them to cancel the contract without penalty since they chose to hold up their letter to me with the straight facts about their scam so that the letter wouldn't get to me within the 30 day period. I have yet to hear from them. I had called them previously and they told me to send a letter to them which I did. I had stayed on the line that time until finally someone talked to me. It took a while. Sonething has to be done to stop this company from robbing people blind.

• Tt
      9th of Feb, 2008

Yes, these people are out and out legalized criminals. I unfortunately got sucked into their con. I began working with them in their beginning and was very good at it. I guess I have an honest looking face and am a good talker. I made very good money and feel so horrible and stupid for letting them take myself and the hundreds of people I signed up. You can blame Michigan's Consumer Affairs division for unleashing this scam on poor Michigan. The general population doesn't even know what a CCF is or how to even read their bill, then they allow these scam artists to come in and mislead the general public under the guise of competition to lower prices. Shame on Michigan. Cigarette companies are more ethical than these cowards.

• Wa
      16th of Feb, 2008

Inform the people that post their complaint on your site to contact their state Attorney General's office web site.
    I to was scammed and I contacted the Michigan Attorney Generals's office. They had me email them all the documentation I had concerning my complaint with Universal Gas and Electric. I sent them Universal's letter to me spelling out in detail just what I had gotten myself into. Their letterhead was dated January 2Nd, 2008. I received it January 22Nd, 2008 (3 days after my so called "cooling off" period where I could have cancelled without the $250 penalty. I also sent the Attorney General's office my letter back to Universal, asking to have my contract cancelled without penalty because they held up their letter to me so i wouldn't get it within the 30 days. The Attorney General's office sent me a card saying they would send the documents I emailed them to Universal and would let me know what their reply was. The card also stated that they would consider Suing Universal if their office received enough complaints against Universal. Please ask The people who post on your site to contact the Attorney Generals office as soon as possible. Together we can bring Universal down with help from the Attorney General's office.

• Lk
      7th of Mar, 2008

I'll make this quick. My wife and I normally ignored these, but a couple months ago she made the mistake of agreeing since it seemed like a good deal (btw - they kept sending both of us letters about joining, wtf). Well she just looked at out bill for this month and realized we are getting charged about 30 cents more than we should be. Well I am going to follow the advice and contact the Attorney General of MI, and I do have some -relatively- good news:
    "The Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC) today issued an order initiating a formal investigation into the marketing and customer service policies and practices of Universal Gas & Electric Corporation (UGE). The Commission also rescinded the company's license as an alternative electric supplier (AES), at the company's request."
    Good work everyone, I hope they get taken down!

• Ro
      14th of Mar, 2008

They (Universal Gas & Electric) tried to recruit me as well from Southfield, Michigan. Said they got my resume off of Careerbuilder that I had applied to their company. That was untrue. I never applied to them. They are posting for jobs on Careerbuilder and they just go after anybodys' resume. Scam city. I told them no thanks after checking them out on [redacted]s.com and other scam websites. They rip off the consumer and the employee. BEWARE!

1st of Apr, 2008

this is a protection plan to protect your rates for 5 years. when you get your april bill notice DTE has already raised thier gas price to $1.oo5oo per ccf. Sad to say but everyone ranting and raving over something that is going to save you money just as i was told.

I happened to get on this program in the summer of 2007 and my cap price is $.999 so i will be payin less, guess the protection is kicking in.

And yes if you understand your bill you understand alot more of this program. Just cause your bill went up alot doesnt mean price also means usage. cant say oh my god by the coldest months when lookin at bills and compare them to lower usage months.