Universal Energy / Mislead in every way

1 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

My situation:

The original application was signed by someone who was not on my lease, not on my hydro bill, and not my spouse.

She was misled into signing this thing by someone she thought represented the government, and was told to check "spouse" on the application.

They called 10 days later, and heeding this persons advice that the deal was good, I gave my verbal consent.

Now, clearly I was wrong for trusting this person without reading the agreement. But is this even accepatable under canadian law? When agreeing over the phone, I had absolutely zero knowledge of a 5 year term or that I was even binding myself in any way (I had never even seen any paperwork before).

Now I'm stuck with these fools. I'm considering just paying the cancellation fee and making it my life's quest to tear this company down, but I'm wondering if anyone can advise on my options.

Thanks

Rd

Comments

• Br
      17th of Jun, 2008

We understand your frustration with this company 100%.

Our situation. My boyfriend and I both resided at different addresses and each had universal energy for both our hydro and natural gas accounts. When we decided to move in together, I moved out of my property and he sold his. We moved into our new home together, with one problem, our new home is heated with hydro. There's the situation, seems simple enough.

We bought our new home in September of 2007 and contacted Universal Energy immediately to first explain the situation that one of our accounts would have to be canceled completely and the other would only have to cancel the natural gas account because we don't have that service here. Of course the choice would be whomever has their name on the hydro bill itself. Again, seems simple enough.

Problem, when we first spoke with a representative with Universal Energy, they told us that for the individual that is only canceling the natural gas account, only the MLS listing proving there is no gas here would be needed. For the other individual, only proof of address would be needed because I didn't actually own the property for which there was a contract. This was all done and faxed to them in September.

Eventually, we received a phone call in January stating that I was in collections for not paying the cancellation fee, more documents were required. I sent the documents they asked for and was told all was fine, the account was going to be canceled. Weeks later, more phone calls asking for the bill of sale of my old property. After explaining to them I didn't own that property, again told all was fine.

Eventually, its mid-May and my boyfriend receives a phone call stating that he is in a credit agency. When he inquires as to why... Universal Energy for the natural gas account. Bear in mind, there is no natural gas coming to this house. He's told he needs to send more documents: Proof of address. I sent our hydro bill as proof of address. He's told all is fine. When he calls back because the creditors are still calling the house, he's told he needs more documents: a bill of sale for the old property. I sent his bill of sale. We get more calls from the creditors. When Universal is contacted, we're told that a bill of sale is not sufficient documentation and that now we need to send the land transfer deed. All of this, because we just don't have natural gas for this house.

All the meanwhile, my original faxes get lost somehow and are no longer attached to my account, therefore, need to be resent five months later.

When we call to speak to a Supervisor now, he can no longer find the hydro account that my boyfriend still has with them and he can't find my natural gas account. Keep in mind that the proof of address I faxed in was the hydro bill that clearly states "universal power" on it, which he can't see.

We're actually seeking legal council against this company and filed a complaint with the better business bureau. There's no way that we can be the only people affected by this company. They've screwed up my account and his account and from what we've heard, we're not the only ones.

Anyone care to share their experience with these people?

• Ji
      17th of Jul, 2008

Ridiculous how this company can be allowed to operate. We have the same situation, and they are threatening to send it to equifax which could affect my credit rating. We moved out of our previous address which nullifies the contract and they keep requesting proof after proof which magically keeps disappearing! absolutely insane.

• De
      8th of Aug, 2008

I see that there are many victims such as myself in the same boat. I have been going through this same "business" with Universal and more recently their collections agency that called me yesterday and left a message.

Not more than two weeks after I sold my home and moved into a rental house where no gas is provided did I start to receive threatening letters from Universal. I hadn't even settled into the new home.

I had a very disagreeable conversation with an evening supervisor at Universal, and subsequent to that I faxed some information that was requested. No further correspondence was received from them, and not contact was made until yesterday's voice message from their collections people.

The message stated "You must call before 10:00 a.m. tomorrow morning to address unresolved issues, and refer to your case number such-and-such." The company name was not given, so wasn't even sure what it was all about. I called this morning at 8:35 and left a voice message.

I didn't receive a return call, so I called again after 11:00 only to discover that it was a collections agency calling about my contract with Universal regarding my gas account.

They want a bill of sale for my old home, a copy of a lease for the new home, a copy of a Bell bill, a letter from the City stating how my new home is heated and that gas is not provided to the home - I'm surprised they didn't ask for my birth certificate and a blood sample.

I pity a senior citizen who encounters such heavy handed treatment. I will never recommend Universal and would be very happy to find one day that they are regulated by the government so that they cannot pursue ex clients like they are criminals.

• Vi
      4th of Dec, 2008

Story sounds wayyyy too familiar!

We ALL MUST complain about these people, please fill out a complaint:

i just sent in my 3 page letter, i managed to get out of the contract but who knows, they might start hasseling me again.

• Ka
      18th of Dec, 2008

I am an immigrant. I can't accept this kind of fraud and conduct. In my original country it won't be allowed.

3rd of Jun, 2009

I had an interview with Universal Energy on Monday. NEVER did they say that the position was door to door, we were led to believe that there were office positions available. By noon, we were told that we were going to shadow some employees. I figured we would be around the office. Not so. Before we left, we had to sign this ridiculous piece of paper stating that we were dressed nice and all this bull****. I had to go to the washroom very badly at this point. When I asked to go to the washroom they said in a few minutes. I though ok, I can hang on for five minutes more. Then we met the guy we were going to shadow. We were on our way outside of the building when I said I had to use the washroom. The guy was apprehensive to let me go and he followed me to the men s room door. Finally they said were going to get in a van, have lunch then be on our way. WE HAD NO IDEA where we were going. By a miracle, we stopped at an A & W right by my house. I said I needed a cigarette and so did this other girl who was like me and in the van. We were not allowed to be alone. WEIRD. Now I had this very weird feeling and I though this isn't for me. I went up to the "superior" and tried to tell him that it wasn't for me. He nearly didn't let me leave and said I should go for a bit. I said no I don't want to and I left. I got a call TODAY from the Ministry of Labour telling me this company is a major scam and con artist and the money they said we would make would was a big lie. They are terrible, tell you all this good stuff. In short they said I would make over 3500$ per month. I thougt this is too good to be true. It was. Watch yourself, don't sign ANYTHING from them, and don't work for them they treat their employees terribly

23rd of Sep, 2009

Everyone should file a report via http://www.recol.ca/ and contact anyone you can (RCMP, MPP, BBB, etc).

• My
      17th of Nov, 2009

My husband and I recently moved out of our rental home and into a new rental that had all heat and utilities included in the rent, I just got off the phone with a rep at Universal Energy and she told me that as long as we send a copy of our new lease agreement stating that our rent was all included then we would not have to pay for the early termination damages ( we still had 22months left). after reading these complaints I wish I had recorded that converstion just in case, we will see what happens.

• Rd
      13th of Jan, 2010

I am having trouble with Universal Energy. I have asked for, and am entitled to, the phone conversation my wife had with them regarding the ability to get out of this contract if we are not satisfied. I am waiting for the cd. If they were not completely honest with respect to their product the Ontario Energy Board, Consumers Relation branch will contact Universal Energy on my behalf. It is my understanding that this is the organization which monitors companies like Universal Energy and can pull their liscence.

• Wo
      1st of Feb, 2010

We, too, were tricked .We are seniors and just discovered after 3 years we were signed up with universal energy on our gas

bill. Somehow they got hold of my signature but we have no memory of signing any contract. We tried to get out but just got

threatening letters about their collection agency. Eventually we paid the penalty fee, but here is the real scam - we have

still receivd two more bills. When I enquired about this the representative had no notice of cancellation on our account.They

will look into it but it would take about 7 days. Enough of this. We called our original supplier, changed our name and made a

new account with no questions asked.- not sure what will happen next.

• He
    Ontario
    Canada
    Phone: 1-866-900-2373
    universalenergy.ca

I am sure you have had other complaints about the business dealing or should I say scams for the above company!!! I signed up with them Oct. 2008 and the hydro bills I have received have more than doubled. It is at the point where I may have to sell my house or loose it. In the past three months I have paid over $2, 000.00 in hydro bills. My home is only 2000 sq. ft. and we don't use hydro during the day as we all work.
    Something should be done about this so called company. I am appauled that the Canadian Government isn't protecting the citizens of Canada.
    I have requested to cancel my contract with them. The results are as follows; a $1, 500.00 cancellation fee is requested, if I don't pay this fee my credit rating will be in jepordy and therefore, my status as a Canadian citizen.
    I have researched this company on the internet and there are thousands of complaints with regaurd to this issue. In 2008 they were fined $200, 000.00 and the scam continues.

In short,
    they charge one fee and continue to charge that fee regardless of the usage time. Our power is regulated based on demand, when demand is high the price is high. Universal power charges 8.49 cents/KWh all the time!!! This is almost double and criminal.

I have filed a complaint to Ontario Energy Board and also David Sweet my MP today.

I will expect someone to follow up with this complaint.

Heidi Terbenche
    829 6th Concession Rd.W
    Millgrove, Ont. L0R 1V0
    905 659-4227

8th of Aug, 2010

i to am a bit confounded

im con founded too