Universal Adventure Online / taking fees off card

GA, United States Review updated:
4.15
Phone: 1-866-800-0580

approx 4 months ago I was contacted by this company saying I had won a free trip. It turned out they wanted money for the trip. They said I had entered online (I do not recall ever entering any contest online) I turned the trip down (after i HAD GIVEN THEM MY CREDIT INFO as i was uncomfortable with the whole thing) Now 4 months later they called again. It was not until I was halfway threw the call that i realized they were the same company. They had my credit card on file and called back because I had recently applied money to the card. I told them I had no money on my pre paid card so i was not interested in the trip. Once I realized that they were trying to take the money off it was too late. They took $97.00 off my card! I demanded my money back explaining that I was not interested in the trip but they refused. I even spoke to the superviser and same thing, they were very persistant! They refused to re-credit my card! What do I do? I want my money back and to be off their crooked call list! I called the company that supplied my card and they said they would charge me $20.00 to try to reclaim the fee. Is that all I can do?
Ke

Comments

Is
  21st of Aug, 2008
I was also scammed by them, with the same approach and when they refused to provide a full refund (they also threaten me and they have been extremely rude) I considered that enough is enough. I called phone busters and I claimed the refund from my credit card company. As Universal Adventures USA has been responsible for misrepresentation and use of high pressure techniques, my credit card company reimbursed the whole amount in 24 hours. I also informed Georgia governor’s department for customers and they let me know that they are now watching the activities of this company. So if you have complaints, if you have been misled, scammed refused to be refunded by this company, don’t hesitate to write to Georgia Governor’s Office of Customer Service.
Gu
  21st of Aug, 2008
I am alaw professor and what youa re doing is called defamation and libel. You see if you own a credit card you are responsible for the purchases you make. You yourself have the ability to hang up the phone before you willingly give anyone your credit card number. The credit card companies guidelines are simple the moment you read your credit card to someone you are doing this with the INTENTION OF MAKING A PURCHASE. If you say other wise you are LIEING. I would bet you also LIED TO YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY THAT YOU DIDNT AUTHORIZE IT TOO. But in fact you had what is called buyers remorse later on and decided to defame the company, Lie to the credit card company and now your potentially setting yourself up to be sued for Defamation and Lible because you can not sit around and maliciously tell lies about a company without facing consequences. If I were you I would be thankful the company did give you your money back and stop making trouble for yourself.
Is
  22nd of Aug, 2008
Oh my god Guy, you really think we are so stupid!!! You are obviously working for them, you remind me so much of them...Can you explain me why, when I said to the Security officer of my credit card company that Universal Adventure USA has a record with me confirming the credit no (which i gave only because they LIED that it's only for verification), the Security officer replied to not worry because I am covered for this, because what they did it is known as HIGH PRESSURE MARKETING TECHNIQUE and it's ILLEGAL...That's also why PHONEBUSTERS and the RCMP (wich, by the way it's a sort of Canadian FBI) registered the complaint and said they already have a file on this...And BTW, if you don't understand what you read, let me tell you again, it's not Universal Adventure USA who gave me my money back, but my credit card company, wich now has a lawsuit against them...If Universal Adventure USA would agreed when I asked them to give me my money I would have been satisfied...Like this I AM NOT!!! Because they lied, threaten and continue to scam other innocent people...
Gu
  23rd of Aug, 2008
My dear I believe I struck a nerve!!! But before I correct you on the law. My first question would be to you... How many times do you give your credit card number over the phone to anyone withour making a purchase OR without knowing you were making a purchase? Even if it is to confirm reservations months in advance the charge is always placed and you know that! Secondly I would like to know if the saecurity officer of your bank knew the whole story of the entire call if you would have gained any sympathy. I am a very well respected member of my community and in no way do I sympathize with anyone sho says they did not authorize a charge BUT in the same breathe admits they gave out their credit card number for a purchase. I own my own business here in Canada and I respect my cutomers rights. On occasion there are some customers that buy my services and then decide later not to use them and instead of doing the right thing and comply with the terms VERY CLEARLY ON THE DOCUMENTS THEY SIGNED, they call the credit company and LIE about the purchase trying to manipulate the system and pretend to be victims!!! It's called BUYERS REMORSE. I have nothing further to say, Except I hope you learned a valuable lesson... Other wise some other innocent company will fall victim to your scam my dear...
Ch
  26th of Aug, 2008
This a response to this guy...You sound as anything but definitely not as a layer, it’s unbelievable how much guts you have people!!! First off all let me tell you something, if you’re saying you live in Canada you have to know about the existence of the OPC and the RCMP program of Frauds and Scams - Telemarketing Fraud...So, let’s just say that indeed, someone wants to purchase a package and after a while he realize that he doesn’t want this anymore or that it is not exactly want he signed in for, and than he call the company and asks for a refund...The difference between an honest company and a disgraceful company of this kind – Universal Adventure USA is that an honest company do everything to keep a client satisfied and tries to resolve the situation, if the client claims his money back the honest company will reimburse him the full amount. If the company is a dishonest company, in fact a scam and a fraud telemarketing company as Universal Adventure USA, it will act exactly as these people claim: it will refuse to give them the money back no matter that what the company is doing it’s totally illegal!!! Because it seems you don’t have any idea about the Canadian law, let me tell you that the federal and provincial laws give a chance to the consumer, in Ontario he has 7 days to cancel the purchase in Quebec he has 10 days...In case that the company refuse to cancel (which obviously happen in the case of Universal Adventure USA) it doesn’t matter anymore if the consumer was aware or not of what he is doing, purchasing a package...because the law give him the right to cancel! And if the company refuse to cancel ( and tries to blackmail him, threaten him and so on) the company in this case disqualify itself and proves that it’s nothing than a shame...That’s why the OPC exists and that’s why these laws exist...because there are companies like Universal Adventure USA and you can say whatever you want, the law gives a chance to the consumer, because the consumers are the victim and not the companies (what kind of stupid could say such an idiocy “innocent company fall victim to consumer scam”...in no case that stupid is not a layer, no way...). So that’s why the consumers in this case receive their money back and that’s why this kind of shameful companies start to be put under surveillance and under investigation...Because "Something's rotten in Denmark" ...”my dear”...
Ch
  26th of Aug, 2008
"BUYER'S REMORSE" is a state of mind in a case of a purchase you cannot cancel: usually a house, a property, a meal etc...After they bought a house, after they ordered and eat a meal at a restaurant some people can have “BUYER’S REMORSE”...Why? because after they purchased the house, the meal etc they didn’t have much option anymore: they had to accept and live with it...So” BUYER’S REMORSE” it’s not applicable in the case of a purchase that you can cancel, in case that, for various reasons, you are not satisfied with the purchase. And I repeat, this is why the law exists, permitting to customers to cancel their purchase (in case you buy a travel by phone, or buy a something online etc). You, as a customer, have the right to cancel. And the travel company is compelled by law to offer you the full amount of money in case of cancelation... That’s why, very often, scam companies, as Universal Adventure USA, will tell you that the package is non refundable, because they want you to believe that you really don’t have any chance against them...Which is a lay. They can say whatever they want, the law is very clear: in case of purchase by internet or phone call you have the right to cancel in 7 or 10 days, depending of the province you live...If the Travel company don’t agree with this, it is illegal...But very often customers don’t know their rights...They should know that, according to the Criminal regime of the Competition Act, these practice may brought before the criminal courts and the matter can be also referred to the Attorney general of Canada. You, as a Canadian costumer, cannot go into a private lawsuit against an American company (and vice versa) but the Attorney general of Canada representing both Canadian costumer and Canadian government can...So, any way you look into it, you, the costumer, have the power to do something, you have the power to recognize the fraud and to reveal it. And the government, with your help, can stop it. In Canada it’s the Competition Bureau who deals with marketing frauds: http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/epic/site/cb-bc.nsf/en/home
And also the RCMP: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/pro_ser/colt/accueil_colt_e.htm
If you were victim of a telemarketing fraud just call them. As customers we have to start being responsible.
Ia
  27th of Sep, 2008
2 days ago my wife received a call from Universal Adventure USA. They told her she got her name from an online survey(she has not done any such survey). They gave her a huge list of vacations that she had "won" and all she had to do was pay 249 per person. She said she wanted to talk to me about it first. Thay said "wouldnt your husband want a trip to florida?". She said "of course"(who doesnt?). They then informed her that they already had her credit card information(she has never given out her credit card information on any survey or anything. How they got it we dont know). they then told her they just needed to finalize a few details. She told them she felt uncomfortable about it and didnt want to do anything until she talked to me. They then told her its too late they had already charged the visa for $498. When she protested they put a manager on who asked her why she had changed her mind, and the recording would prove she had agreed to the transaction(editing audio files is not a difficult thing to do these days).

We are currently battling to get our money back from Universal Vacation USA. They have managed to walk the line between legality and flat out fraud. I know its fraud but cant prove it to VISA or law enforcement yet.

Universal Adventure USA is nothing more than a group of con artists. If you ever get a call from them just hang up
Di
  5th of Nov, 2008
Last October 27, 2008, I was called by the Universal Adventure USA telling that i won a free trip. As what they did to others they force me too to get my visa card number. As what i understand they just get my visa card number so that they can send my confirmation number.They force me too and I told them that I dont want to get any vacation or book a trip that time if they will gonna charge. And in the following days i received an email from them knowing that I have purchased already for a vacation.Just lately when I got my visa bill that they charge me for $653.91 canadian dollar.They didnt told me that on the spot they will charge me because I still want to inquire thats why they got my card number too.I didnt expect that they already charge me.I dont want to pay for the vacation and Im still inquiring.I want to refund and take my money back.Please help me too what should I do and How can I take back my money.
Le
  19th of Jan, 2009
I was also scammed by this company they also go by another name: Universal Fun Pass, www.universalfunpass.com be on alert!
Le
  19th of Jan, 2009
Also scammed by this company!

Yes it is a scam they also have gone by the name Universal Fun Pass now I just got ripped off over christmas!

This is what happend:

Another travel Scam!!! Universal Fun Pass or Universal Adventure

December 27, 2008 I got a call saying 'won' a FREE trip to Orlando Florida for 3 days and 2 nights from "Molly (5108)". Then proceeded to say that I also won another trip to Daytona Florida for 3 days and nights as well. She then asks me if this sounds good I quickly respond and then she says I won another trip to Cancun Mexico for 5 days and 4 nights.

She was a very fast talker and didn't let me think about anything that was being said! It was quite overwhelming and she kept saying how excited I must be to win this free trip!

Then says that I have to pay a registration fee for each adult of $249. And then asks for my visa expiration date. She said she had my visa there on file and all I needed to do to confirm this vacation was to give her the expiration number and it was all mine. I asked how she had my visa number and she replied that they were partners with the visa company.

I asked her why I have to give her a credit card # if the trip was free? She just said it was for a registration fee and began to tell me over again what all the 3 vacations were and what was involved. She says 'don't you want to go away'. I ended up giving her my expiration number. During this conversation I keep asking her if it was going to be charged on my Visa and she kept saying don't worry about it it won't get charged if you don't have enough money on your visa and I kept saying its not going on my visa is it and she kept saying not to worry it wouldn't be a problem.

At this point I confirmed my visa #(which they already had btw) and continued to be told about the trip details. At which point I began to have second doubts about the "free trip" and said I was no longer interested and please do not charge anything on my visa, she called me a liar for claiming that I did not understand that the charges were going directly on my visa and that the charge had already been made and it was non refundable...

I started to freak on the phone and told her I would be disputing this immediately with my visa company again she kept calling me a liar and that the ticket was non refundable. I ended up calling my visa and having a conference call with both parties on the phone the whole time the representative from Universal fun pass kept calling me a liar and over talking anything I said.

At this point they are no longer answering my calls and the complaint is being processed with my visa company. What a nightmare this whole experience has been, it completely wrecked my holidays. I hope that this email can help to prevent the same occurrence from happening to other people.

I have filed complants with the BBB as well as the RCMP (phonebusters.com )

I would recommend anybody else experiencing this or any other scam do the same!
Ne
  8th of Apr, 2009
Guess what I have to been ripped off by Universal exploration inc apparently a sister company of the one above. They ring you and tell you you've won a fabulous holiday (yet when you recieve their e-mail it states it isn't a holiday but in fact a promotion) another one of their lies. They took the money from my account, I asked for a refund but guess what it isn't refundable. To my horror the bank rang me the following day to say that they had tried to take out a further £600, thankfully the bank managed to stop this money being taken out of my account hence all my accounts being closed. After e-mailing universal exploration inc they then rang me so you never have any written documentation off them that my suggestions was "completely absurd". The woman then began shouting at me when i refused to answer her questions about my bank account! I cut her off, i then had another 3 harrassing phonecalls when she then spoke to my husband to ask for our account information again. We cut her off.

I am unable to get the money back because the bank have said that they are providing a service but until you go to book the vacation you don't know whether it is a con or not and i'm not willing to take the chance.
Ro
  23rd of Apr, 2009
This company is a total scam. I will be checking this board when ever i need to check up on a company. They threatened me with jail time and i have it recoded as they left it on my answering machine. No matter what I did i am pretty sure you can't advertise a prize that you have won then demand money. I have learned a $550 leason.
DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY FOR YOUR VACATION.
In reguards to time share deals mentioned in previous memos I am not even going on my "free" vacation due to miss trust i have and the "free" fees i will most likely have to pay for.
Er
  28th of Apr, 2009
They called my wife few days ago, they spoke in a way that you feel you win the vacation to Florida and Bahamas, but finally we understand that "its just a promotion". they told her that they will only charge each of us one time registration fee of two-forty-nine (we guess they mean 2.49) but finally we found out they charged us more than 640 CAD which we cannot afford at this time, and when we call them they told us that this money is absolutely non-refundable! the other thing is they already had her Visa card no and I don't know weather it is legal or not.

I am still stuck in how to refund the money but I want you to be aware of Be aware of Universal Explorations INc.
Ve
  28th of Apr, 2009
has anyone recovered any $$ back either from the Universal vacation co or your visa company?

Also scammed by Universal Exploration inc.
Er
  29th of Apr, 2009
I called the credit card company they refused to cancel the transaction.
Ra
  13th of May, 2009
I have also been scammed by this company (Universal Adventure Online). I have the same story as most (they called me to inform me of my "winnings", explained the packages...etc...) but I actually agreed to pay the $249 (x2) I felt that the package was well worth it. I knew, however, that I would not be able to use it within the year (which is how long they said it was good for). I therefore ONLY agreed to the purchase ON THE CONDITION that the package could be extended FREE OF CHARGE. The woman had been saying how the package is good for 1 year but could be extended by another year no problem, all I had to do was call them. I double checked this with her and she assured me I could extend it for FREE. They called me later that week to "make sure I was happy with everything" and if I wanted to book my trip right away. I said no thank you. So 11 months go by and since the 1 year is coming up I call them to extend it (as I was told I could do FOR FREE!!). They said I could extend for 6 months or 1 year for $99! I told them what I had previously been told and that I only purchased the package on that condition. The woman started calling me a liar. I demanded my money back as they provided me with false information. She said it was non-refundable and my story since then has been hell. A "Cancellation Specialist" was supposed to call me back (3 times!), I called back and spoke to the most horrible human being EVER! She said that she was unable to cancel but she could connect me with my bank and I should ask to speak with the disputes department (why she did this is beyond me!). She tranfered me and told me that if I wanted to be connected with her after I was done with the bank I could press #. It turns out she was listening the whole time! She broke the law commiting all kinds of privacy violations! She came on the line while I speaking with the woman from the bank who was infuriated (as I was). We got absolutely nowhere with the woman from hell as she simply repeated herself over and over and spoke over anyone else. She was extremely mean, nasty, unprofessional, threatening (!), disgraceful... (I could go on and on). The bank was unable to cancel the purchase (even though the bank woman wanted to be able to after speaking with that awful woman!) since it had been almost a year. As others have stated, had I called to cancel within the first 10 days (Quebec) I could have gotten my money back. I have definitely learned my lesson but I do still plan on fighting these evil people.
FYI - In Quebec what they are doing is illegal (randomly calling you and soliciting).
Ne
  14th of May, 2009
The company i have been conned by is Universal Exploration Inc but they are all using the same methods to con innocent people by bombarding them with so much information your not thinking clearly at the time to agreeing to pay the initial amount. I had my bank account hacked into by them which they say is a lie! Luckily the bank managed to prevent further amounts going out. I was shouted at by the company who then tried to call my husband for our bank details after my account had to be closed down by them. In the end everytime they tried to contact me, I don't know what for, I told them I was ending the call because they were fraudsters and abusive to realise the money had been put back in my account! To this day I don't know whether the bank had managed to get the money back or they changed their minds after I reported the company on numerous websites. All I will say is if you pay by credit card make sure you have the card protection activated and if this company rings you saying that they are going to transfer you to your bank don't do it they will listen on the line to all of your details, its amazing how they try to get the info out of you. I hope you all keep fighing and get your money back.
Kh
  13th of Jul, 2009
Wow I really thought I was alone in this world to have had a bad experience with the company but apparently I'm not. I suspect this company to change names once in a while because now they're listed with the BBB as "AAA Promotions Inc". Last year when I did a search on the BBB site they were still listed as Universal Adventure Online (or USA). At that time they had only 1 complaint filed with the BBB and I thought "ok 1 complaint over so many years that's not a big deal". I made other online searches for the company at that time and didn't find anything else than someone who was trying to sell their package on eBay because they couldn't go that year. There was no complaint board like this one, nothing I could really trace. And now I read that they go by various names, probably to have a "clean slate".

My story looks a lot like Rachel's and others. Either the company hires airheads who can't speak properly and don't really know what they're doing and saying, or they're all scammers who don't mind lying to people. I went through everything: the superb advertisements and the excitement of not paying a lot for a vacation that looks "WOW!", the worrying when they wanted the credit card "just for verification" but that was charged on the spot, the protest on my side and the talk with the "manager" who was reassuring me that I had a good deal and that I wouldn't find other deals like this anywhere. She told me that customers were very happy with them and that yes, I could extend the package for another year "no problem". I'm a full-time student, and my life can be very unpredictable, so I needed to know if I could extend the package. No other detail was given to me.

In April I figured that this summer I couldn't travel there yet, so I tried finding buyers to transfer the package to someone who could profit from it this year. Lots of people have been thinking about it but nobody took the package. Nobody told me they made a search for the company and found a complaint board like this one, etc. I'm guessing they didn't buy it from me because we're in an economical mess all over the world. I also called the company around beginning of May to figure out how to extend the package and how to transfer the name on the package. They gave me all the info I needed, and it was then that I was told the extension was going to cost me 99$. When I showed my surprise, as nobody had told me this before, the girl was like "err well I don't know why they didn't tell you, but this is like an open plane ticket, you need to pay for extension". Funny enough, I think in the past I got a year-long open plane ticket and I don't remember paying fees to extend it a few months, but it's possible that in general we do have to pay an extra. I asked that girl when was the "deadline" to call in for the extension, as I was not willing to pay then and needed time to think about it. She said "oh you don't have to rush, you can call us on the expiration day (July 12th) if you want!"

Time flew and we got nearer to July 12, which was a SUNDAY (yesterday) and their office is closed on Sundays. I decided to call on Friday the 10th, since apparently I had no reason to rush. The airhead I had talked to in May didn't check on her schedule to realize it was going to be a Sunday, she didn't suggest me to call a few days in advance due to their inability to take all direct calls (all I've gotten when I called Friday was either an answering machine or a message after 10 rings saying "please call again" without a possibility to leave a message). They say their office is open Mon-Fri 9am-6pm. I first called around 3pm or so and left 2 messages, saying they had to call me back in "emergency" since my package was to expire on Sunday. At 5h30 it felt to me there was nobody around anymore (or perhaps they blocked my phone number) because the answering machine wouldn't go off anymore. When I called today to figure out what was going on with my problem, I got the same "please call again" message on both their phone numbers. I could try again and again, I'm now more and more sure they don't want to deal with me anymore and don't want me to leave messages. As a last hope, I sent an email Friday but I was sure they wouldn't read it before today (and it may even take them longer, since once I had sent an email and waited for a week and seeing no reply I sent another email or called them instead).

Yesterday (before doing the internet search about the company I did today) I thought there was still a chance for me to renew this package and to transfer it to someone else who could profit from it this year. I thought the company would understand that it was all about communication issues and they would give me the extension today. Now the more I read about the company, the more I think "they really don't care". I filed a complaint with the BBB Friday (I was very angry that I couldn't reach anyone at the company) and I'm not sure what will be the outcome. Probably nothing refunded but eventually another stain in the company's file (under their new name, at that). I'm hoping that all the complaints filed and all the contacts we can do to stop the company will lead to the stop of their practice, and I'm personally hoping for an arrest of some or all the "employees" (whatever their status is). They've been putting pressure on people, lying, manipulating, threatening, and dishonest in so many occasions. They're the ones who need to do jail time, not the customers.
We
  5th of Nov, 2009
I have similar story with Rachel. They told me i can extend my vacation for the first year for free. I called to extended it and the lady said it's all done. When I called to book my vacation. They told me my vacation was already expired and they never sell free extensions. note: I called 3 times to confirm the extension and asked for email confirmation. They all confirmed over the phone that the vacation had been extended but never sent email. They replied on the phone that the email would arrive in 24 hrs, which never came. I emailed customer care. Never got a response back. I called this morning and asked if they would investigate on the case. Tiffany from 1-866-800-0580 told me there's nothing to investigate because I misunderstood the conversation.
Pa
  25th of Jan, 2010
Has anyone actually taken the trip offerred by Universal Adventures? I have read all comments and haven't read anywhere anyone who booked, recieved the trip as offerred.
I would be interested in any replies along this line

Paul