United Subscription Agency / Scam and cheating

1 Vero Beach, FL, United States Review updated:

Two young lads showed up at my door and tried to sell me magazine subscriptions for magazines I didn't want. They told me they were doing it for some contest so I said I'd be happy to make a donation. I said I didn't have any cash, so they said they'd accept a cheque (one each!) but that I had to make it out for an actual subscription, and the proceeds would be donated to kids or something.

Well, usually I'm not a sucker for these sorts of ###s, but this time they were so persuasive and pushy and willing to use underhand tactics that I found myself giving them $76 in total. I'm a college student. I can't afford that!

Anyway, this was on a Friday, so after spending the weekend being suspicious of the whole situation, I went down to my bank first thing on Monday morning. I told them all about it, and they closed my account for me, opened up a new one and blocked the cheques (which hadn't been cashed yet), all for no charge. All they need is one cheque, apparently, and they can keep draining cash from your account.

So don't be fooled by these sorts of wankers, and if you are, act fast like I did.

Ro

Comments

• Sh
      1st of Dec, 2009

You do know that this is a valid company I get all my magazines for my business through them. for you to have buyers remorse and then cancel the check its the thing to do. You should have called the company and canceled your order. That is the proper way to do it. If you gave them a check it is mailed to Vero Beach Florida and it is pulled, It would have never hit your account. Buyer remorse dose not give you the right to give someone a bad review.