United Steel Building / Fraud

2700 Cypress Creek Rd.Ft Lauderdale, FL, United States Review updated:

BEWARE!!!

This company will take your money and give you nothing of value.
Same as the other complaints...forwarded 25% deposit to "lock in price" May 2008, and promply received prelim. plans, standard computer drafts of a building with my footprint. Included were Terms & Conditions. I immediately informed them that these were completely unacceptable and I would not sign and if I was expected to do so they could refund all monies immediately. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING, YOU WILL BE SORRY. I didn't sign T & C (or prelim. plans). After a couple days Jack Rachlin responded to my complaints without addressing any of my concerns specifically. The plans were so wrong it was easier to send them a scale drawing with several pages of specific requirements and detailed notes I had given them before they quoted my "final price".

I have received nothing else but requests for more money. The first request was for 50% deposit on some accessories( which I had been informed peviously as unavailable). The second for approx. 20% of the total building price for structural changes as a result of "being quoted incorrectly from the beginning" as stated by Jack Rachlin. These request are labeled "Revision Orders" beginning "as per your request". DON'T SIGN IT, IT IS A TRICK! I never requested changes, as it wasn't right on the first set of plans. After the first revision order, Jack Rachlin stated after alot of negotiation that he would make any further changes at his expense. LIE. No changes have been made. No plans have been sent out. No money has been returned. Instead, I received an Order Cancellation form stating, in short, if I signed, they will keep my money but not sue me for the remainder! So much for 6 week delivery time, my watch says 6 months...

Do not believe anything sales rep Bob Marks tells you. Chances are it is false. More LIES! USB is not the Engineer of Record as I was informed. USB does not include footing plans with Building as I was told(they claim to provide this service if you are willing to give them more $$$ which you may never see again). After several requests, USB will only state that drawings are state stamped. What state? As the building is drawn it is unlikely any certified and state registered engineer would sign of on the garbage plans I received.

"BAIT & SWITCH" plain and simple. You tell them what you want, sent a deposit, you get something else. To lure you closer to your building they EXTORT you for more $$$s. If you send more, you will get more requests for addition $$$s. USB's attorney will not even respond. Maybe some rats do know shame.

FRAUD complaints filed with the Florida State Att'y General have been forwarded to the Broward County Consumer Protection Board via the State Board of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs. A roundabout process since Broward County told me to file the complaint with the State at the start. No word yet. Keep your fingers crossed.

If you have been burned by USB, continue to call all the above Florida State entities daily, as well as, the Federal Trade Commission(file a formal written complaint...IMPORTANT), and your State consumer affairs Dept.(they can issue a 'beware' flag to any inquiries concerning USB.

If you are considering buying a steel building excercise extreme caution, there are other companies similar to USB. I looked at one contract that actually had a waiver of rights to file a fraud complaint in their T & C's.

Comments

Da
  18th of Oct, 2008
Take your money give you nothing. Cut and Dry
  24th of Feb, 2009
Whew! I don't know where to start to dissect this ridiculous complaint.

So I'll start at the beginning. Steel building companies - EACH AND EVERY ONE - send out generic approval drawings of a building with no openings in it. It is up to the customer to mark up those approval drawings and send them back to the company. At that point, any discrepancies between the approval drawings and the customer's desired building are rectified. Depending on how little of the final details the customer told the salesman initially (and yes, also depending on how many of those details actually got transferred by the salesman to the Purchase Order), there can be some additional cost here. This is why it is a good idea to consult a general contractor any time you put a large project out to bid. A person who does not know what rigid frame endwalls are, for example, should not put a job out for bid without getting some input from someone who does.

The most patently absurd assertion in the disjointed diatribe above is the hilarious suggestion that no engineer would sign off on the drawings. Last time I checked, United Steel had delivered buildings all over the country, including plenty of states/counties/municipalities that don't let you even think of putting up a building without a permit. Who does this person think stamped the final prints for those people? (Hint: IT WAS AN ENGINEER FOR THAT STATE!)

Some people cannot be made happy. Check the BBB for the real skinny on United Steel Building.
  17th of Mar, 2009
Comment by Frank Rizzo is obviously a ploy by USB to divert attention away from their questionable activities. Hey Frank, did you see the drawings and documentation provided, or were you a party to discussions regarding same? If you were...you work for USB. If not, you have no idea what you are talking about.

BBB is only an indicator of very recent activity. May '08 USB had a B- rating with 12 out-standing complaints. By September rating was a D. Now it is a B. Not very reliable. BBB only reflects complaints filed with them, not the Florida State Economic Crimes Division, for instance. Complaint status is assigned by BBB and may not reflect ongoing litigation, criminal investigation, etc., or other remedies available to a complaintant.

Call the Florida State Attorney General and other juristictional entities to inquire about USB and fraud. Then, ask yourself, why there are dozens of complaints on this site warning BUYER BEWARE!, Fraud. Bait & switch. etc.

You know why.
Da
  24th of Mar, 2009
I'm a business owner in the state of Washington and am ashamed to say that my company is also a victim of this bait and switch.

I gave USB(united steel building) my deposit once we agreed on a price. USB then sent me the preliminary blueprints and said to make any changes needed to comply with my counties building codes sign and return with in 14 days, so we did. USB then demanded an additional 20% to comply with my counties codes. I informed USB that if they were going to do business that way to give me back my deposit and USB said oh its nonrefundable. When I got off the phone I immediately called my attorney and he said that USB didn't comply with number 18 of their t&c to make a good faith attempt to ascertain my building codes and that USB was in breach of contract. So we sent USB a letter releasing USB from the contract if they returned my deposit or we would sue them. Ofcourse no response so we again sent the letter certified and called ofcourse no answer. So my attorney and I were preparing to file a complaint with the states attorney general and file suit and Bam I get preemptively served by USB for the remainder of the building cost. Now i have to defend myself in florida, I don't have the shop I need, I'm losing business because of that.

USB is a broker not a manufacturer so they are not out any expense other than the cost of the paper to print a standard CAD drawing off of the computer. Beware. I have the FBI involved, attorney general of both states, BBB of both states, IRS, FTC and much more to come these guys will be sorry. Hopefully we can stop deceitful companies like this from preying on honest people. Oh by the way Dan Marino endorsed this company and still does. I wonder what the hall of fame, ESPN, NFL, CBS, NBC, FOX News and AP might think of that? Just curious! There are over thirty Complaints filed with in the last year that i know of, we can't all be in the wrong!

DAN H.
  9th of Apr, 2009
You are not the only one. Contact me regarding your situation. I have left info at your https://www.complaintsboard.com message box. Also, an open invitation to any one who has been ripped-off by or is currently having problems with USB, to join my group on this site, titled "United Steel Building SCAM victims". I'd like to get your contact info, basics of your case, and post any helpful info you may have.
  14th of Apr, 2009
I am having similar problems with USB. They have delayed the entire process for over a year, and then they served me with a lawsuit. USB does not act in good faith. Bob my salesperson is gone, and Jack is not helpful. I have had to hire an attorney in Florida to defend me. It is ludicrous!
Wr
  2nd of Aug, 2009
I was ripped off by USB in 2007 after sending in a $4000 deposit to "lock in the discounted rate". I felt like I was being rushed by the salesman to accept this incredible deal and in the back of my mind I knew that something was going to go wrong but I gave them a credit card number anyway. I received the cookie cutter generic drawings just like everyone else did; the only thing "customized” or “engineered" about the drawing was my name. Anyone with a CAD program could have pulled up this template and added a name and called it customized. Along with the “engineered” drawings was a sheet of paper with instructions telling me to mark up where I wanted my windows and doors and to send it back USB.

My problem actually came about when the county health department came to access my property for a building permit. I was informed by them that I couldn't build because the building would sit on my secondary drain field should I ever need to put in a new septic system. I had just spent $6000 on tree removal so I'm sure that you will all agree that I was a bit disappointed.

I knew that the site assessment should have been done first but I did not want to lose out on the "great" discount being offered so I went against my common sense and gave them the deposit.

I informed USB over the phone that I could not build a building on my property through no fault of my own, I did not cancel because I wanted to -- I was canceling the order because of my local governments assessment. I thought that I would be nice enough and ask for all but a couple hundred dollars back; since there was no "actual customization" work done, but to pay for any actual time and equipment that was used like (the customization of my name on the cookie cutter drawings, paper, toner, time that they spent on the phone with me and postage).

The company representative stated that they understood my dilemma and said that my cancellation would be sent to the proper department and that I would hear from someone shortly. What I received was a cancellation form in the mail stating to sign and send back in and that by doing so they would not sue me for the remainder of the contract price. I immediately called down to FL and spoke to someone named Jack; I argued with him in a polite and courteous way stating pretty much what I stated above and conceding to giving them $500 for their time and effort, he said that the initial contract that I signed was a no refund contract as per section 10 (I believe – I’m doing this from memory) and that their company had already began work on customizing my building. Unfortunately my attorney agreed with him stating that if I signed a contract then I have no recourse.

Well I never signed the cancellation order and I have never been sued. I do often dream of visiting the Fort Lauderdale office and punching Jack in the mouth. I’ve considered taking a vacation there as well and just picket the place for two weeks too.

John Wright
Salisbury, MD
Kc
  22nd of Sep, 2009
John, I'm just telling you what I am told to tell you. But if you want to come visit me and punch me in the mouth, feel free to do so. I'll be sure to pass the message to my boss.

Jack
Kc
  22nd of Sep, 2009
Marcus, you know you're only telling about 15% of the story. This site and others like it are a nice way to drag a company's name through the mud, but not a good way to ascertain actual facts.
  22nd of Sep, 2009
JACK, you and the owners of the company are crooks. You stole my $15, 000 and then filed a lawsuit against me! How can you possibly think that is ethical??
  22nd of Sep, 2009
Jack, Myself an attorney Marc Faust agreed to pay for 100% of the building via Escrow and you guys still refused to honor our agreement.

THIS COMPANY IS TOTALLY INCOMPETENT. THEY TELL YOU LIES! TAKE YOUR MONEY AND THEN FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST THE BUYER (Even though their own contract specifies problems will be handled in mediation)!

I have been in the real estate business for 22 years and I have never encountered people who are just plain and simply CROOKS!

JACK- please take $3000 for "engineering fees" and return the remainder of my $15, 000 deposit!

I know 100's of people could file a FDUPTA claim against your company and the owners William and Theodore Knote and Howard Zimmerman personally!!!
Pa
  3rd of Oct, 2009
Well if you want to screw people you move to Flordia and get you a lawyer and you are in business. Boca Raton area is a good place for crooks to get together. These guys have stolen money from old people, churches, women with breast cancer and anyone that is insane enought to do business in Florida. Everyone needs to put up a web site. For $200.00 you can tell your story and help others save their money. Not many people see this everyone sees the web. Maybe the truth will starve them out.
  17th of Oct, 2009
Here is a number for you guys call this number let him know what you think. Remember NY yankees think if you are from the south you are a hillbilly. Call it regularly and often ask for Jonas or Louie real wise guy. He is part of USB. 561-674-7070. CALL HIM !!!
  2nd of Nov, 2009
Hey got idea IRS needs money let us all turn them in you get 10% of what they retreive from them you know they are not paying taxes and they have to have false books. GET on board IF you can not get your money get that ###!!!
  5th of Nov, 2009
Check out another website devoted to USB...
Al
  17th of Nov, 2009
United Steel Building charged me double the original price quoted and delivered my building in August 2009 (ordered Nov. 2008) and I am still waiting on the doors, for which I paid nearly $3, 000. They will not return my calls nor e-mails. I have requested a refund or immediate delivery. I am so concerned about their flagrant disregard and breach of contract, that I have decided to travel to Florida (several times if necessary) and hire an attorney as a public service . Allison Robertson
Be
  27th of Nov, 2009
The lawyers you deal with see you as a meal ticket also BEWARE !!!
  3rd of Feb, 2010
There is a reporter in Florida who is chasing these guys! Eme with THE SCOOP has apparently made some progress with getting money back for some people. She is also pursuing the individuals WILLIAM KNOTE, HOWARD ZIMMMERMAN, and others for Fraud under the FDUPTA laws. These guys need to go to jail. I was told they are currently operating another metal building company called SUPERSTEEL! Stay away from these terrible people! Here is a link to THE SCOOP http://www.v1-p.com/unitedsteel.html These guys, along with their attorney Jeffrey Berlowitz, have been deceiving folks for more than two years. I originally contracted to purchase a $37, 000 building in February of 2008 and immediately made a deposit of $15, 000 (more than required). A year later, I was still trying to take delivery of the building, and they sued me giving no legitimate reason for the lawsuit! It was their attempt to use the Broward County courts to "WIN BY DEFAULT". I am in Texas, so I was forced to hire a Florida Attorney for another $5, 000 who managed to get the case DISMISSED, but getting a building or even some portion of my deposit back never happened. I have heard that almost 50 people were victims of this scam and the Florida Attorney General Office has still not opened an "Official Investigation" as of Feb. 2nd
Lo
  25th of May, 2010
It is now almost the first of June how is this situtation going? Is it still not delievering it's product? Are they still scamming people? I am also a victim of this activity and have been wondering what my outcome is going to be?
  25th of May, 2010
Go to:
unitedsteelbuildingscam.webs.com
for the latest...
FBI is investigating criminal charges and Florida AG is supposedly investigating for "unfair trade practices"
Contact info is at the site above.