United Magazine Service / Fraud attempt!

1 New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 212 490-1169

I have been approached by a "Collection Agency", informing me that I would have an outstanding debt with United Magazine Service for a subscription which I allegedly failed to pay since 2004(!!!). The only magazine subscription I have (since 1999) is with TimeOut, which I made directly with the publisher and about which I have never had any problem. This is a clear attempt to get money from me on the basis of an alleged service which was neither requested nor provided.

(I have made some inquiries with United Nations colleagues and discovered that UN officials seem to be a favorite target of this company, which is attempting to embezzle money, preferably from foreigners. Anyhow, I have never had nor want to have anything to do with this company. If they insist in harassing me, I'll ask my lawyers to sue them.

Regards.

Comments

• Ki
      20th of May, 2008

I JUST RECEIVED A CALL FROM A COLLECTION AGENCY STATING THE SAME THING. THEY TOLD ME I HAD AN OUTSTANDING DEBT SINCE 2004 FOR 700$ AND THEY WOULD SETTLE TODAY FOR 400 IF I PAY BY CREDIT CARD RIGHT NOW. I TOLD THEM NO AND ASKED FOR A PHONE # OR WRITTEN CORRESPONDENCE ABOUT THIS ISSUE. i WAS NOT NO I COULD NOT GET THAT INFORMATION. I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT THEY WOULD PUT THIS ON MY CREDIT RECORD. I TOLD THEM I WAS NOT GIVING THEM ANY MONEY. THEY KEPT ASKING FOR CREDIT CARD AND THEY GOT UPSET THAT I WOULD NOT GIVE IT TO THEM.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS EXPERIENCE.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

23rd of May, 2008

I also got a call from a collection agency stating that I had a debt with United Magazines. The first call I got a few months ago and I simply stated then that I didn't order any magazines in 2004 and unless they could come up with the names I supposedly did order I wasn't paying. Two days ago on 5-21 2008 I got another call and this guy was more insistent and I again stated that they needed to tell me what I supposedly ordered. He said the company had a privacy policy and they did not give out the specific information. I said I wasn't paying and he told me I had three choices, pay a settlement, pay the remaining 17 payments, or forward to litigation. I told him to forward it on to litigation and ended the call. About an hour later his supervisor calls me and tries the same tactics and this time tells me what the settlement amount is, 499.99, but since I've never had any credit problems in the past and so on he can offer me a one time payoff of 399.89. I told him again to forward it on to litigation at which time he informs me that they will do so and in the meantime my info would be forwarded to the credit bureau and then it would end up in small claims court. I told him to give me the contract number again and the number of the magazine service. Imagine that, he didn't have a phone number but said they shouldn't be hard to find a number for. So looking for a number I ended up here. This must be a total scam.

• Bu
      23rd of May, 2008

I also got a call stating that I was 17 payments behind on a magazine subscription. He stated that I was under legal binding to a recorded telephone contract and that the credit card that I originally placed the order with was no longer good and that after attempts to bill me in Jan. 2005 and June 2006 that my account had been turned over to his agency by the billing department of United Magazine Service. He stated that I had an outstanding balance in the $700.00 range and that they would settle for a payoff in the $300.00 range. He refused to tell me the name of the magazine and would only give me a six digit number for a reference. He also avoided my repeated asking of a phone number where I could request more information about this issue. When I asked to talk to a supervisor he side stepped that request many times, said that they would say the same thing as him, and finally said that there was really no one above him. He said that his name was Adam Marsh and his number was 29646. He had mentioned that the only way that I could get a phone number was by being transferred to the verification department and that he could only transfer me if I were to agree to payoff the account. He also threatened litigation and reporting the case to the credit bureau. I told him that I would be calling my lawyer and that I thought that he was in a garage somewhere with other people making these phony phone calls.

• Da
      26th of May, 2008

I just received a call from United Magazine service regarding a outstanding balance of $800 that I could payoff today with a credit card for $399. The key is they could not tell me any information regarding the subcription, to what magazine it or any other detail. Also I could not get a call back number. They agents name was John Wilson and he stated he was in Florida, he threaten legal action and would report me tomorrow. Sound pretty false.

• De
      30th of May, 2008

I just recieved a call from a ADAM MARSH with United Magazine Service stating I owed money for magazines I ordered back in 2004 (??? it's 2008) . We never got into how much I owed because he never could verify that i was the person he wanted. He would not or could not tell me my social security number. He wanted my credit card number . He was very rude yelling at me telling me he was used to people like me dodging credit collectors. I told him he was not getting any info from me and that he should have info on me if I ordered this US womens group of magazines which i have never heard of and i do not order magazines over the phone. I hung up on him when he yelled at me when I told him this was a scam and I do not give out info to scam artist. The phone number he called me from was 204-480-0432 in Winnipeg Canada.. BEWARE OF ADAM MARSH.. AND UNITED MAGAZINE SERVICE...

• St
      24th of Jul, 2008

I just received a phone call from the U.S. Magazine Service indicating that I had an overdue balance on the US mens group of magazines. Same thing! I was told that I owed money from 2004 and that I owed like 17 payments or something and they offered me a settlement to pay it off. They kept demanding a credit card number from me. I kept asking him what magazines I ordered and he wouldn't tell me. He mentioned that the US men's group magazines include things about golf, cars, and Playboy. I have never, ever received a subscription to Playboy!! The scary thing is that I was asking him what credit card that I ordered off and he gave me the first 4 digits to the credit card. He couldn't get anywhere with me so he just threatened a collection action and hung up on me. It's got to be a scam to try and get credit card numbers out of people.

• St
      23rd of Jan, 2009

i was receiving over 15 magazines in the mail and i got a call from ums telling me i owe them $2500 in overdue fees so i was shocked but they mentioned if i was willing to make a payment that they would close up my account and cancel my subscriptions for $499.89 so i payed thru my visa and i have never been happier they gave me a 9 digit verification # cofirming that my account has been closed and guess what? those magazines stopped coming in the mail i would give ums 3 thumbs up if i had them for the excellent and professional service the name of the agent i spoke to was michael carter ask for him, hes the best