United Magazine Service, Inc. / Complete scam operation!

Like others posted on this site, I was called in August of 2005 and offered a good deal on the renewal of four magazines that I was currently getting.

Only one of the four magazines continued to be sent and the other three stopped when my original subscriptions (not through UMS) ended. I placed two calls to them and was given some BS about why there was a delay but that everything was in the system to be taken care of.

Of course, nothing ever happened and now UMS has taken everyone's money and run.

Don't every purchase discounted magazine subscriptions over the telephone! Deal with the publications directly!

Jo

Comments

4th of Apr, 2007
    United Magazine Service, Inc. - Never received any magazines

I purchased a two year renewal with Soap Opera Digest and the magazine tells me they never received it. And that I must deal with the company that sold it to me. That company's phone number is no longer in service and so I lost a great deal of money.

24th of Apr, 2007

I received a renewal for the Sporting News from UMS and I paid the 3 installments of $33 bucks. It took me almost 5 months to get the magazine, which I finally did, but then a mysterious $149.95 charge was taken out of my bank account. Supposedly for discount tickets and the like, of which I never received. Now, I can't get customer service to help me research this, they say they never dealt with UMS before. Funny, how I have this lady's name and phone number who I have been talking to for 5 months, and NOW??? she doesn't know a thing about it. SCAM. SCAM. SCAM. NEVER buy from anyone other than the company directly. If you get a bill for payment, that is NOT from the company itself, don't pay it. It is a scam to take your money. We all got screwed and learned the hard way.

• Ju
      3rd of May, 2007
    United Magazine Service, Inc. - Paid subscription, no delivery

We received a notice that our Subscription was due, we renewed for 3 years on 3/30/06. We recently received a notice from the Enquirer that our subscription was expired. When calling the billing number for United Mag. Serv., Inc. was informed that number was disconnected.

• Cy
      7th of May, 2007
    United Magazine Service, Inc. - Phone number disconnected, no magazines received!

In November of 2005 I renewed Soap Opera Digest for 2 years and paid $70.00. I got the 1st year but the second year should have started mid April. I have not received one in two weeks. The 888-610-0477 number has been disconnected. What can I do about this.

9th of Dec, 2007

This company is a scam paid for three years soap opera digest and stopped coming six months ago lost out two years money phone disconnected.

20th of Jan, 2008

United Magazine Services, Inc has ripped off many it seems. We would not give credit card or bank account numbers over the phone. UMS wanted their money now but we wouldn't agree. They sent us a bill and even gave us 10% off if paid by a due date. I checked with the local police and they knew of nothing going on about magazines. Our calls have not been returned. Go with your gut feeling.

21st of Jan, 2008

I have had the same issues. I got a call while I was half asleep. I don't know why I even agreed. I don't read magazines. However, they said they already had my card number so I gave it to them as a confirmation. They made it seem different. I planned on canceling it after getting the complimentary "gift." Later in the day they called to confirm and I told them I decided to changed my mind. They said I couldn't since they pre-order the magazines (which doesn't make sense) and that was that. I already gave them my # so what was I going to do. Since I couldn't cancel it I decided to call my bank and I told them about the situation. They said they never give numbers out (UMS said they got my # from the bank) and they canceled my current card and gave me a new one. I have since gotten calls from unavailable or random 800 #'s. I have also received letters telling me that I owe them $99.60. They have made "threats" telling me something bad will happen but they haven't really said what. When they call and I don't pick up they also don't leave messages...how professional, right? They also put big words into the letter that you never usually see in letters for late credit card payments and they such. In other words, they're trying to hard. There are also major typos. I knew it was a scam as soon as I talked to my bank and I am NOT paying them anything.