United Magazine Service / Never received Discover Magazine

I received a call from United Magazine Service the end of March, 2006 to renew may Discover Magazine. Since I am suspicious of any business over the phone, I asked them to send me the info in the mail, which they were very reluctant to do, but eventually agreed to. After receiveing the info, I sent them a check for $39.60 on April 3, 2006. In June, $154.00 was missing out of my checking account on a day that I happened to go to the bank twice. Since I caught it early, my credit union coperated with me to find out what happened. Guess who they traced it to! United Magazine Service! I called them and gave them hell and told them that I thought their company was out to scam people and wondered about my magazine. They told me the were sorry about the "mistake" and not to worry about my magazine. When I started receiving cancellation notices from Discover, I called United Magazine Service again in September. Again they told me not to worry, everything was OK with my Discover subscription. It is now November 16 and my subscription has been cancelled and have no Discover magazine. I cannot call them since their phone number has been disconnected. But what really gets me angry is their use of the American Flag on their letterhead of their original letter they sent me. Have they no shame?

Bruce Tremblay

Comments

• Do
      20th of Jul, 2008

Someone from this organization called me asking if I wanted to pay a cancellation fee for a subscription to Fortune magazine. The man said he was in Massena, N.Y., but there was no pnone listed in that town for United Magazine Services.
    The phone number given answered with a recording referring to Customer Service. A recording there suggested calling during regular business hours. My call was made on a weekend.
    The scheme was to offer a subscription at a decreased cost, but the fine print gave only ten days to cancel without a penalty.
    Have others had an experience with this organization.
    They wanted payment only with Mastercard or bank draft.

• Bj
      6th of Aug, 2008
    United Magazine - Harassing phone calls asking for $
    United Magazine

We have received calls for about a year claiming we are someone who owes the magazine money. We do not even have the same name as they are looking for, they swear, call us names and refuse to give their phone number or connect to a supervisor. It has to be a scam. We do not and have never owed money to a magazine firm nor do we have the right name and they threaten us each time with legal action. We could probably sue since we know we are not who they are looking for but you can't get any phone number or names or any info from the caller. When you keep asking they hang up.

• Br
      27th of Aug, 2008

I got 2 phone calls from this company claiming that I owed a debt for some subscription from 2004. First, I would like to point out that my caller ID said "private caller" which is illegal for a Collecion Agency to block their name so right off I was pretty sure it was a scam.
    They said that I had agreed by phone to make 20 payments, that I had made 3 then quit. The payments were from a "First National Bank", pretty generic bank name, no city or state and not one I have ever used.
    Both calls were a "last" courtesy call to allow me to settle for 399.98, but for today and today only, otherwise they would turn it over to the legal department and I would have to pay the 1200.00 (800 + interest) and they would ruin my credit, which they both mentioned several times.
    They could not tell me the magazine but that it probably included a watch. They also said they had the recording, I know, why does it not tell which magazine I was supposed to have ordered. They were both very nice and friendly at first and then very ugly and threatening when I insisted it was a mistake. I eventually was sure it was a scam but at first just thought it was a mistake. I hope I didnt accidentally give them any more information. One refused to give me any information about the company until I had made the payment, but the other did give me an 800 number and a Better Business Bureau number, both turned out to be bogus.
    Hope this helps!!