United Law Group / scam artists

1 2400 main street 2nd floorIrvine, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800 670 5578

this company solicted 2500.00 from me promising to do a loan modification. needless to say 5 months later they have not. they do not call me and if i try to contact them via phone or email they cannot be reached.they are profiting off peoples misery, what can be done about it ?

Comments

• Oh
      23rd of Feb, 2009

you must not have returned your documents in time or something, i paid $3, 500 for a loan mod through them, and they stopped my forclousure and dropped my payement from $2, 100 a month to $1, 200 a month and they also negotiated my 10% fixed rate down to a 3% fix. i would highly recommend this law firm to anyone. i was skeptical, so i researched them on BBB.org and checked with the california attorney general before i started working with them. if you dont believ me try it... bbb.org -> look up a bussines or charity -> united law group .

• Ju
      23rd of Feb, 2009

I am in the same situation right now.
    I paid a retainer of $3000 and now I can't get in touch with them, my bank has never been contacted by them and they didn't show up to my court hearing this morning. Needless to say, the judge says the bank is taking the house.
    There are about 4 numbers I call to reach them at and they all say the same thing, that I have contacted United Law group after business hours even if it is the middle of the day!
    I think I just got scammed and now I am going to be out on the street as well.
    I returned my documents, they had me faxing so many things that I would receive from the bank and filling out all kinds of forms for a modification and forbearance and once I did that I never heard back from them again.

25th of Feb, 2009

These guy are great. They only charged me $3500 when everyone else wanted 5k. They reached a deal in only two months and my new payment is $700 less than before, fixed rate for the life of the loan extended to 35years at 3.5%

25th of Feb, 2009

You are probally the competition!! I know 2 other people who have used them and they are happy!!

26th of Feb, 2009

I worked with them before and had GREAT success. You either didn't turn in your documentation in time or you must have lied on the application.

I am also starting to think you're a competitio trying to tarnish their name. I verifed their business with CA Attorney General.

• Kl
      26th of Feb, 2009

Hey - Who ever said they checked with Better Business Bureau (bbb.org) is either giving you a bunch of bull, or just stupid as a rock, because the attorney behind this United Law Group was just admitted to the CA state bar in June of 2008 - so he culdn't have been [lawfully] in business long enough to have established a profile on bbb.org

I looked up United Law Group on the CA State Bar website (you can go ther at http://members.calbar.ca.gov/search/member_adv.aspx

It's ran by an attoney named Sean Alan Rutledge. His bar number is 255938 and he was just admitted to the CA state bar as of June 2008.

So if you have a complaint - you may want to start at the state bar. Or if you truly feel that this group is a scam put a complaint in with CA State Attorney General - Plus if you think the people working on your file (I think they call them selves "negotiators") have been giving you legal advice you may even want to contact the Orange County District Attorney's Office and file a complaint with them.

You may also want to check out CA Rules of Professional Conduct ( which you can also find of the calbar.ca.gov website). Here are a few rules that may be of interest:

Rule 1-300. Unauthorized practice of Law: (A) A member shall not aid any person or entity in the unauthorized practice of law.

Rule 3-110. Failing to Act Competently. (The duties set forth in rule 3-110 include the duty to supervise the work of subordinate attorney and non-attorney employees or agents. (See, e.g., Waysman v. State Bar (1986) 41 Cal.3d 452; Trousil v. State Bar (1985) )

Rule 3-500. Communication: A member shall keep a client reasonably informed about significant developments relating to the employment or representation, including promptly complying with reasonable requests for information and copies of significant documents when necessary to keep the client so informed.

Also just FYI: Evry attorney in CA have to have a special attorney trust account. Any money they get from clients has to first be deposited in their attorney trust accounts. In orther words whether you've paid $2, 00 or $3, 500 it cannot be deposited into a regular business or bank account. The CA State Bar strictly enforces this too -

KLB

You are an idiot. If you look at this website http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=100076162 you would know they are registered with the BBB.

KLB, you are probably a sleaze bag attorney that got beaten by their group of lawyer and now you're sour.

• Ab
      27th of Feb, 2009

Please do yourself a favor and do not use this company. They wanted $2000 from me without any paperwork. They asked for my checking account information (they don't accept credit cards) without anything in writing. When I insisted to get at least a piece of paper that would specify the amount I was going to pay, they said that I would get paperwork from the salesperson, within 5 minutes after giving them the payment information. This is BS!!! Every time I had to pay a deposit or retainer fee, I had at least a piece of paper from the vendor describing the service and the deposit amount. How do I know that they wouldn't take $5000 from my account! No reputable law firm would take money from the client's account without a written agreement. I'm in a very dire situation but I had to refuse working with them. The person from "Compliance" will try to intimidate you saying that "he's thinking to deny" your case if you ask too many questions. He will say that if you don't trust them now, how are you going to work with them in the future? Nonsense, nonsense, nonsense... All I asked in the end was a piece of paper stating how much the deposit was going to be. He said that the company is not going to change its protocol for every client. I also asked earlier in the conversation for some kind of stipulation saying that my money will be refunded if there was no modification achieved as a result of their efforts. The "Compliance" guy said that he's in no position to modify the contracts and that the lawyers are too busy to do that for every client. I am so angry that these guys are getting away with this. I will report them to the Better Business Bureau.

• Ya
      27th of Feb, 2009

Consumers needing help with their loan modification are exposed with this rampant and insidious scam. If you are someone out there who is trying to figure out whether you should use United Law Group or not, the answer is --research and beef up your knowledge on how to safelychose a firm that will help you best with your loan modifications. I learned the hard way, I decided to trust and use them. It was too late by the time I discovered this website. Attached here is a link being maintained by a non profit group with one and only one main objective- " to fight against bad people and to fight for good people." Obviously, when you have someone like Michael Morales who will call someone like KLB an idiot who is only out there trying to help makes it harder to decide. Please read the attached link and see for yourself. You will not find United Law Group on their hit list. But I promise you will soon. United Law Group operates exactly the same as the illegal firms you will find there listed on their site.

• Al
      27th of Feb, 2009

i am 4 months behind on my mortgage... my lender sent me a letter of intent to accelerate... at this point i am very scared of 2 things... loosing my house, and attempting to get a loan mod and being ripped off. after reading this forum i decided to do my own research on this law firm. i used the bbb.org website to look them up and this is what i found...
    BBB Reliability Report for
    United Law Group, Inc.

A BBB Accredited business since 11/26/2008
    Company- United Law Group, Inc.
    Rating B+ -- Our opinion of what this rating means:
    A very high rating. A company with this rating would not have a significant number of complaints or other considerations that could pose a problem to consumers.

The following grid displays the number and responses to complaints over the last 36 months:
    No. of Cmpl Type of Response
    0 Refuse to adjust, relying on terms of agreement
    0 Unanswered
    0 Unassigned
    3 Total

everyone is entilted to their own opinion, and my opinion is that only 3 complaints in the last 36 months tell me that this is in fact someone who is NOT frauding people or ripping anyone off... if they were eligedly ripping all these people off, you would think the gov run bbb website would def know about it, and wouldnt be awarding them such a high rating. those responses above me do not sound like they came from actually customers but more like other loan mod companys trying to talk down their competition.

i was also contacted by a American Mitigation Group, llc. who was promising me everything everyone else has at this point, and they sounded legit in my conversation... however, i also checked them out on the bbb.org and this is what i found...
    BBB Reliability Report for
    American Mitigation Group, LLC
    Company
    Rating C -- Our opinion of what this rating means:
    Average rating. We would expect consumer transactions to be satisfactory. Since each transaction is individual, read our full report to determine if you have questions or concerns.

Complaint Closing Statistics
    2 Refuse to adjust, relying on terms of agreement
    0 Unanswered
    0 Unassigned
    5 Total

this does not take a rocket scientist to figure out... this law firm everyone is tryin to talk down on... actually has a B+ rating which is very high among loan mod companys... i looked up the attorneys on the united law group site and was very pleased to find out all the attorneys have gone through alot of law school and even tho they have only been on the bbb since 11-08 doesnt mean that they are not legitamate law firm lol, i mean dont you think the BBB would have recieved more complaints by now if they were in fact " ripping people off" ? ... the american mitigation group does not seem to be fraudulant either, however comparing the conversations between the 2, i am going to move foward with the united law group, they sounded very proffessional, and the other company didint sound very confident .

i hope all who reads this will have common sence... use the BBB they are a gov run operation, if you cannot trust them, then you have personal issues .

28th of Feb, 2009

I hope Allen C is not a real consumer otherwise he will be singing a different tune in about 4 weeks. However, if you are just someone sent by United Law Group to further fool consumers, then the question for you is how can you people sleep at night knowing you are profiting from these people who are hurting and needing help? Here are some insights from the website Yanrisse posted that can truly help you out figure if a company such as United Law is ligit:

According to BadBIZFinder: Sneaky and unethical lawyers saw their chance to cash in by forming loan modification companies under a law firm name. Why? So that they could get away with charging advanced fees that are prohibited for loan modification companies under the CFCA.

What is CFCA?The California legislature wrote the California Foreclosure Consultants Act (CFCA) (California Civil Code Procedure 2945-2945.11) to protect consumers from loan modification scams.

4. They saw this little loophole below and went gang busters and started scamming anyone and everyone they could:

“A foreclosure consultant does not include any of the following:

(1) A person licensed to practice law in this state when the person renders service in the course of his or her practice as an attorney-at-law.”

YOU SHOULD ONLY WORK WITH AN ATTORNEY. Loan Modification Companies with no lawyers, just foreclosure consultants should be regulated by the CFCA and therefore cannot charge advanced fees.

According to BadBiz Finder here is what you should know if attorneys can charge an advance fee for loan modifications

Again more tips from BAD BIZ FINDER:

CAN A LAWYER CHARGE FEES IN ADVANCE FOR A LOAN MODIFICATION?

YES ….. IF:

1. The lawyer is currently licensed to practice law in California.

AND

2. The lawyer is offering legal advice and legal expertise to assist the homeowner in the ENTIRE loan modification process from signing the Retainer Agreement to discussing your options, to creating a legal strategy, to implementing the strategy – from start to finish.

AND

3. The lawyer already practices relevant legal services that include:

● Stopping or postponing a foreclosure sale.

● Obtaining a forbearance from any beneficiary
    or mortgagee.

● Assisting a homeowner to exercise their right
    of reinstatement.

● Obtaining an extension of the period within

which the homeowner may reinstate their financial

obligation.

● Obtaining a waiver of an acceleration clause contained
    in a promissory note or contract secured by a deed of
    trust or mortgage residence in foreclosure or
    contained in any such deed of trust or mortgage.

● Assisting the homeowner to obtain a loan or advance
    of funds.

● Avoiding or ameliorating the impairment of the
    homeowner’s credit resulting from the recording of
    a Notice of Default or a Foreclosure Sale.

● Saving the homeowner’s residence from foreclosure.

OTHERWISE ….. NO!!!

Thanks to Bad BIZ Finder, they do not ask for anything in return just "pay it forward".

• Ab
      28th of Feb, 2009

Thanks Mariam. Now it all makes sense. These people are not even legally allowed to take a retainer fee because they are not performing full legal services:

"The lawyer is offering legal advice and legal expertise to assist the homeowner in the ENTIRE loan modification process from signing the Retainer Agreement to discussing your options, to creating a legal strategy, to implementing the strategy – from start to finish."

In my case, the lawyer was not even available to sign ANY retainer agreement. They wanted my checking acct. info without any paperwork, just over the phone.

Allen C is NOT a real customer, this is for sure. Re Better Business Bureau, this company is too new to have a lot of complaints yet, but they will have soon. Thanks to me, as well.

28th of Feb, 2009

tell me then... who is a legit loan mod company or law firm? to the people who wrote everything negative about this law firm, tell me sir... can you provide me with a alw firm or company who operates 100% legit and who has been posted on the bbb more than a year? and also someoen who will not collect a fee up front? i am very intersted in finding a fanatsy law firm as such. good day

Brian Lewis,

There is no point in trying to reason with people who are not educated. Either they have no idea on how to research a company, or they are the competitors.

• Bv
      1st of Mar, 2009

I used them and got my rate reduced from 5.9- 5% fixed. I'm one of those people that have a $300, 000 house which probably would sell for $225, 000 right now. I had a good rate before, but any reduction would help, especially if I'm stuck paying on this house for a long time. Also, I'm a carpenter, whose work is sporatic right now, a little more help would be nice. However, when I contacted ULG, they were telling me that i could get my principal lowered and probably get into a 4-5% loan. This lead me to believe I could get about a 4.75% loan and alittle principal reduction, so I tried them. Probably not the best move I've made. Don't get me wrong, the 5% is good, but I didn't get a lower principal which I hardly expected anyway. I believe I could have saved $2500 by submitting a hardship package myself. I believe that they didn't fight hard for me. They just had me fill out a hardship package and they submitted it, I could have done that. I would try to work with your lender firsthand, because if you are trully worth helping and it looks like you have a chance to maintain payments on your home, your lender will probably work with you. They don't want your house but they're also not going to give you an out of this world rate and principal reduction, maybe to a select few, but not many. Also, it's not true about how the account will be "frozen" from payments for the 3 or so months that they negotiate. First of all, the law firm probably isn't doing a forensic analysis on your loan. They are giving your info. to your lender who puts it onto a pile of loan mods and refi's that could choke a horse. That's a big reason it takes so long. When you get your new terms, the 3 months you didn't pay is added onto the principal of the loan. For instance: balance as of Jan.1st $280, 000 now $286, 000. on April 1st. It's not frozen at all, you just get a three month break in paying, but your house loan will increase, adding a higher total to factor into your lower interest rate. On top of that, you'll probably get hit with a $1000 fee for modification due when you sign your new loan. Aren't these games fun? You get to pay a law firm and get your principal raised and your credit messed up all for a little bit lower interest rate, which the government is telling them to do anyways. Banks and other lenders caused this mess with bad lending methods, the gov. bails them out, then they go back to shady methods once more. They don't care about you, this country has turned into a me first, how can i get ahead quickly and a "sucks to be you" soap opera. Any way to make a buck is the new motto. My advice is to call yourself, the lender will most likely help you without the lawyer tag on your shoulder. After all, it's just another attempt, this time by ULG, to take advantage of a situation, unethical or not. All told, you can get a lower rate on your own, if your not a lost cause but, you'll probably get taken for a little ride at the same time. Hope this helps.

• Ri
      1st of Mar, 2009

#1 Attorney in CalBar for less than 9 months... He is the one and only attorney listed wit the state bar under United Law Group
    #2 Attorney is not member of California State Bar...
    #3 Attorney - a con artist with several disciplinary actions with California State Bar. Admitted to Bar in 86 but ousted several times.
    #4 Attorney - Admitted to State Bar in 2002 - 6 Years experience

This is not a LAW FIRM. Law Firms are legitimate. Every attornet in a Law FIRM is registered with the state bar. This is a GROUP of names and titles PERIOD.

2nd of Mar, 2009

i am still waiting for someone to tell me of a loan modification company who operates better or more than legit than the companys discussed in this forumn... where can i go to find out who IS trust worthy to help me with a loan mod... obviously these deals work, maybe alot better for some people and not so much for others but regardless... they work. but who is the best? who can i trust? or is this justforum to talk badly about everyone else...

it would make much more sence to me to discuss who IS legit and who DOES operate legally, that way this forum will actually be benificial and help people choose the best path, rather then make up stories like high schoolers.

ao again... will anyone be brave enough to step up to the plate and throw out a few names or companys of someone or place who does these loan mods in a legit and legal manner? OR will everyone continue to spread rumors and talk [censored] ...

he who is without sin, cast the first stone

• Li
      3rd of Mar, 2009

I was considering this company to do business with but at this point I will not their are too many questionable reviews and complaints to turn over any kind of money over to them. THIS COMPANY HAS ONLY BEEN IS BUSINESS FOR FOUR MONTHS WHICH IS NOT A LONG TIME FOR COMPLAINTS TO BE POSTED OR ESTABLISHED TO AFFECT THE RATING AT BBB BUT THERE ARE NEGITIVE REVIEWS AND POSTING FOR THIS COMPANY IN JUST FOUR MONTHS OF PRACTICE NOT ALL OF THIER PROGRAM SEEMS TO CHECK OUT. Home help has great reviews and will not cost you 1800-257-1212 or 603-214-3658 ...lol folks

3rd of Mar, 2009

there are 135 search results for " home help " on the BBB . would you be so kind as to give the full company name or post a link of their review with the BBB ?

• Bv
      4th of Mar, 2009

Look out brian lewis a stone is headed your way. Don't get huffy, I realize your going down just like the rest of us. Trust me, if we knew we'd tell you. At least you won't go with United Law group, since us 'HIGH SCHOOLERS' warned you of them. Sorry for wasting your reading time and good luck to you.