United Healthcare / admissions approval

Minneapolis, MN, United States

My mother suffered a stron in late May 2017 and was placed in acute rehab for her first 20+ days. She was recently determined that she should be moved to subacute and discharged from Medicare Acute rehab on Saturday, 6/24/17. We had provided the case manager the facility name and information we wanted her transferred to on Friday evening to begin the transfer process over the weekend. Come to find out that no one at UHC could help her get approved and moved despite making over 15 phone calls and speaking to many different representatives!! Absolutely ridicoulos!!

We finally contacted the escalation line but it took over 12 hours for a return phone call. When we did get a UR nurse to review her case she said it would be approved within 2 hours. Yep, no such luck and she still hasn't been moved as of mid Sunday afternoon. I guess the intake department for UHC group insurance plans does not work on the weekend. How nice for a company to be M-F when patients and care is 24/7. Ironically enough Medicare still works and provides updates and return phone calls as well as discharges over the weekends but apparently the insurance companies namely UHC can't approve to make the process seemless. Now my mother waits for your incompetent organization to make their decision over 48 hours and will likely incur charges for her stay at acute facility since Medicare discharged her on Saturday. I have already contacted our attorney to address the financial matter and incompetence we have endured. Not to mention the physical and mental stress it put on my mother as a recovering stroke patient. You should be ashamed of your customer service and response time.

Fr