United Family Circulation / Fraud and cheating

United States Review updated:
I happened to be visiting a friend in my neighborhood last week when two young guys claimed to be students from West Texas A & M University knocked on her door. They said that they had been chosen to travel abroad to Paris to study for a month but needed a little help getting there so they were selling magazine subscriptions as a fundraiser to help with their travel. Well, I am new to owning a home so I am new to the door to door marketing & I am always willing to help for a good cause. It didn't take me long to pick 2 magazines & write 2 separate checks. Needless to say my husband told me it was a scam & the more I started to think about it I realized they told me that their mother would be calling me to verify if I wanted to even buy magazines because she wanted to make sure her sons weren't being pushy. Well I have yet to receive a call & I started to think that they never told me when my magazines would come in so I thought I would look the company up online & it appears I am not the only one doing a little research on this company! I have put in a stop payment on these checks & learned a valuable lesson in return!
Va

Comments

Va
  1st of Dec, 2008
The young man approached my husband while he was out walking our dog and told him he was working for Saint Louis University (where I work), so my husband told him to ring our doorbell and I would take care of him. Normally, I would never buy anything from a door-to-door solicitor, but since my husband told I'm that, I thought he had already checked him out. The young man said he was selling magazine subscriptions to earn a trip to go to Italy with the Saint Louis University debate team. I asked him what would happen if he didn't sell enough subscriptions and he said he wouldn't get to go. Then, I asked him if he had a SLU ID and he said he didn't have it with him. I should have known better, but he started rushing me and promised me that he was a junior at SLU. In a few minutes, someone honked for him and he said he was really late and needed to get going. I wrote the check and he gave me two receipts. I didn't look at the receipts until after he was gone. He didn't have my name or address written correctly and the receipt was not dated. There is no way a magazine will ever arrive at the address he wrote. When I called the customer service phone number printed on the receipt, a recording said that there is not a representative available, but to press '1' to leave a message and someone would return my call. When I pressed '1', the recording said the message box was full. Then, the message continues to repeat itself. The receipt says I have three business days to cancel in writing by mail or telegraph. I am going to do that, but I am also going to stop payment on my check. This is going to cost me, but not quite as much as the full subscription of the magazine. Whatever it costs, I don't want this company to get a dime.
Sa
  6th of Dec, 2008

United Family Circulation - Terrible experience
United Family Circulation

Pe
  29th of Jan, 2009
literally speaking...that just happened to me about 2 hours ago...same exact story...i also put a stop payment

you try to do a good deed and look what happens!
i researched it right away when i got home because the customer service number on the receipt says the message inbox is full...the guy even gave me his cell phone number...which was disconnected!
GRRRR DO NOT FALL FOR THIS!
Su
  5th of May, 2009
I got suckered too. It's clear that the boy selling the magazines was lying (baseball team trip to Japan), but I did get the magazine I ordered. Maybe I'm lucky there. However, after receiving a few issues, I decided I didn't want the magazine and found out canceling it will be difficult because UFC does not answer its phones.

I never would have ordered the magazine if I didn't think I was helping this kid out.
An
  16th of Mar, 2010

United Family Circulation - Paid but did not receive magazine
United Family Circulation Inc
PO Box 2224
Buford
Georgia
Phone: 770-831-7722

I paid $51 for a magazine order and never received the magazine. Have called and written numerous times but no one has responded.