United Collection Bureau / Items on Credit Report was not ours

My husband and I have been working really hard on our credit, (to pay off any and all of our old bills) we requested a list of all our bills from United Collection Bureau, who at first just ran my husbands name and came up with 27 different bills, we finally got them to run his SSN# and discovered it was considerably less, then we compared the list they sent to us with what was on our credit report, there was 6 all together, we paid 2 of these bills, but the other four did not match, I contacted them, sent them a copy of those pages of our report, contacted the original bill holder and no one could prove they were mine. They finally put the status on the four items as closed. However, they r still on our credit reports and they r refusing to take them off. Even though no one including myself can prove they are ours, they refuse to remove them from our credit. So now for anyone who looks at our credit report beleives that we did owe it and that the company gave up on us and closed the accounts. It has cost us, and we have been working hard on having these removed for 6 months. We are more than likely going to have to take them to court to have these items removed, that were never ours to start with

Comments

• Sg
      25th of Jul, 2010

We have not only reported this to all 3 of the credit bureaus, we also provided a copy of the statement from UCB that did not have these listed as our accounts but did show the two we paid off. Two of the credit bureaus promptly corrected the information, Experian however did not. They responded to us with a letter stating that the items had been verified and would remain on our credit as active. Later through continued persuit on our part to have these items removed they were finally updated to closed but we were once again informed they had been confirmed and would remain on our credit report. My question is how do they verify something as being ours when we ourselfs had provided a statement from the company on the report, proving they were not. We even contacted the company the bill was from prior to collection with UCB and they were unable to locate or verify these bills as ours, and after more than six months of fighting with Experian and UCB thses items still remain on our report. So much for these companies having to verify items within 30 days or remove them from your report because obviously they do what they want and what they want is someone to pay these bills and they don't care who it is or how badly it hurts your credit, they just want money from someone.

I can give you another example of how poorly this system works. I am a soldier in the U.S. Army. I had served one year in Korea and upon my return found my credit reports to be in horrible condition, there was a forclosure, a vehicle reposession, they had residence history for two states I had never even been in and two addition SS#'s none of which were mine nor can I figure how you can make that kind of mistake with Social Security numbers. But with the use of the internet and a few data base searches I found 28 listings in the US for people with my name. Here is where this system fails. Person number 18 in this list has horrible credit and a new item goes to collection. The company makes a half ### attempt at locating this person and needs to file this with the credit bureaus and his name mateches mine. Guess where that item ends up. On my report, correct, and when I try to prove its not mine it is vertually impossible because the original company is looking for my information which is not there, so it makes it difficult prove its not mine when the place has no idea who you are. And so the items are impossible to get removed from your report because these companies have change the way the system works from having to verify it before it goes on your credit report to making you prove its not to have it removed. And speaking from experience, that is a difficult process, no matter what the laws say.

• Mi
      2nd of Sep, 2011

My husband and I have been working really hard on our credit, (to pay off any and all of our ancient bills) we requested a list of all our bills from United Collection Bureau, who at first just ran my husbands name and came up with 27 different bills, we finally got them to run his SSN# and learned it was considerably less, then we compared the list they sent to us with what was on our credit report, there was 6 all together, we paid 2 of these bills, but the other four did not match, I contacted them, sent them a copy of those pages of our report, contacted the original bill holder and no one could prove they were mine. They finally place the status on the four items as closed. But, they r still on our credit complaints and they r refusing to take them off. Even though no one including myself can prove they are ours, they refuse to remove them from our credit. So now for anyone who looks at our credit report beleives that we did owe it and that this company gave up on us and closed the accounts. It has cost us, and we have been working hard on having these removed for 6 months. We are more than likely going to have to take them to court to have these items removed, that were never ours to start with.