United Circulation LLC / Lynn Kelley

1 PO Box 501, Waterloo, IA, United States Review updated:

Paid $56.00 cash for Backpacker & Readers Digest large print magazines @ $28.00 each August 1, 2010 to ID #1050. Ticket # b41117 . Contacted magazines & they had no record. I have no magazines. Is there any way to get my money back or the magazines?

More United Circulation LLC Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Cs
      Sep 08, 2011

Call the company and they will refund your money or process the orders again. All orders are processed as they are received from the independent contractors. If you have not contacted the company directly they cannot fix the issue. (866)203-5890

Sep 09, 2011

Sean Wilson
    Zach Shobe
    Kara Newman

Sep 10, 2011

Digging deeper into this - these sales "students" are totally lying about who they are, where they live and the pitch is fabricated. That alone is enough to cast doubt the entire operation.

They are part of traveling sales teams.

From their website -
    We are a traveling sales group that travels state to state, going door to door selling magazines. With this opportunity you will be able to travel with young adults between the ages of 18-25 in a co-ed environment all over the country! Our sales are based door to door, or if you prefer business to business. We offer a $500 sign on bonus which covers your daily pay and rent for your two week training period. During your first two weeks you will be trained by one of our experienced sales agents. All we ask is that you try it out for at least a month. After a month, if you don't feel like this is the job for you, we will send you home.

You do not have to pay anything out of pocket to be hired. We will provide you with a bus ticket to get to wherever we are located at the time. We have company vehicles so you do not have to have your own car. After your training period we even pay for your bus ticket if you do not like the job. If you don't sell any magazines you do not owe the company money. Everything is provided during your training period because we want you to be able to focus on the business and have funt without having to stress about money.

Sep 10, 2011

The phone number listed on their employment page is a cell phone with a Florida number and that phone number was used to sell a ford pickup in the Houston area recently.
    I will not post the street that comes up with the ad, but this appears more odd the deeper one looks into it.

Sep 12, 2011

Find out from your bank were the check was deposited. If United Circulation LLC deposited the check into their own account, they can't blame "contractors" for you not receiving your magazines. It makes you wonder if they are using the mail to send checks from the sales teams to their "office". That could, in theory, open up an entire new level of issues for their company. People believe an LLC protects them personally but it doesn't if any funds are co mingled with personal expenses (living) or business equipment or space is used for any other purpose than the LLC. That shield is broken at that point.

United Circulation LLC is inactive as an Iowa LLC at this point. Maybe they are now using a different name as the LLC with a DBA to be able to deposit funds.

• Co
      Sep 12, 2011

In response to the United Circulation LLC being inactive is there any thing that can be done to stop this company and have our money returned?

Sep 12, 2011

I am not sure who this DS Gruntled fellow is, but he seems to want to hid behind an internet persona and throw people's name in the dirt. Plain and Simple, if you ordered a magazine, you will receive it. If you did not, then something must be wrong. Why not contact the company first? The number is posted on the website. And the company being "inactive" is because a simple report was mailed a day to late. And someone's phone number that hires people for different companies was listed as buying a pickup truck? I know nothing about that but maybe that person decided to buy transportation. LOL. Use some common sense. Lynn, call the company and figure out what went wrong with your order. Simple as that. Again, why did you skip that step?

Sep 12, 2011

We have had a few complaints in the past few years. We do our best to please each and all of our customers. We do deal with independent Contractors, and our job is to process magazine orders for different companies. I am not sure who this disgruntled guy is, but he has not contacted our office, and he is just harassing our company behind an internet persona. I can a sure you that if there is an issue with your order, and you would have contacted the company directly, you would have been pleased. So give us a call: 866-203-5890

Sep 14, 2011

This is public information. Just facts.

United Circulation LLC is rated "F" by the Better Business Bureau. Ratings range from A+ to F.
    On their site (bbb.org) it lists these reasons for the rating.
    Length of time business has been operating.
    25 complaints filed against business
    Failure to respond to 10 complaints filed against business.
    2 complaints filed against business that were not resolved.
    One serious complaint filed against business.

Here is the BBB's definition of closed cases.

Closure Definitions

Complaint resolved with BBB assistance
    BBB records show the issues raised in the complaint have been resolved. Either customer confirmed the complaint has been resolved, or business confirmed the complaint has been resolved and customer did not respond to BBB correspondence informing customer that complaint will be considered resolved unless BBB hears otherwise from customer.

BBB found business made good faith effort to resolve complaint but customer not satisfied with business response
    BBB found that business adequately addressed the disputed issues and made a good faith effort to resolve them; however, customer has informed BBB that he/she is not satisfied with the outcome. In some cases, business may have agreed to mediate or arbitrate the complaint but customer declined to participate in mediation/arbitration.

Customer not satisfied with business response; BBB did not find business made good faith effort to resolve complaint
    BBB did not find that business adequately addressed the disputed issues and made a good faith effort to resolve them, and customer has informed BBB that he/she is not satisfied with the outcome. In some cases, customer may have agreed to mediate or arbitrate the complaint but business declined to participate in mediation/arbitration.

BBB did not receive a response from business
    BBB did not receive a response from business after two attempts to contact business, and BBB communications with customer do not show that business contacted customer to resolve the complaint.

BBB cannot process complaint
    This includes situations where BBB cannot locate business, business is no longer in business, or business is in bankruptcy and complaints must be submitted through bankruptcy trustee.

Sep 14, 2011

Walmart and McDonald's both have "F" ratings as well. You copy & paste one thing from the BBB and now your Mr. Facts. Everything else you post is just verbal vomit. 10 complaints out of 100, 000 people is not to bad. What do you think?

Sep 14, 2011

McDonald's locations have" A+" ratings, actually. Walmart has an "A+".
    The reality is that United Circulation LLC has an "F" rating with the BBB. That's just the facts from the BBB web site. Your claims of McDonald's and Walmart and the BBB do not appear as you are claiming.
    Where are you coming up with 10 complaints? Are you referring to just the complaints listed on the BBB site that they claim United Circulation LLC failed to respond to the BBB and try to resolve?

Sep 14, 2011

Yes, you do not need to be an actual customer of a company to make a complaint about said company. You are a perfect example. A fake customer who goes online to post filth. Someone who hides behind fake information, and someone you can never contact to resolve the matter.

Sep 14, 2011

You didn't address your claim that both McDonald's and Walmart have "A+" ratings despite your claim that they didn't.
    Speaking of never being able to contact, why didn't United Circulation LLC respond to the BBB? Is your company someone you can never contact?

Sep 14, 2011

We do respond to anyone that has an issue. Like I stated, if someone makes a complaint on a third party site, and leaves fake info, how are we supposed to contact that person?

The BBB is a non-profit organization who charges businesses for A ratings. That is the only reason we do not have an A rating. Why else would a company with thousands of complaints have an A rating? When a customer makes a complaint to the BBB, and our company contacts the customer, sometimes the customer will not advise the BBB, therefore it is like we never responded in the first place. Your lack of knowledge of the issue is the problem here.

Sep 14, 2011

So it's everyone else, not United Circulation LLC that is the root of all the complaints about no response to phone calls, no magazines, etc.? The BBB is in on it as well?

Sep 14, 2011

Everyone else? Everyone being the 23 people listed on the BBB? That must be "everybody"

Sep 14, 2011

I'm going to end with this. If you purchased from united Circulation, and have any questions/concerns, you have our receipt with our company info on it, call us!

If you choose not to contact us, and instead to post your grievances on this website, unfortunately, we have no way of knowing who you are, or how to contact you.

Our company works with independent contractors, and do our best to make sure everyone is satisfied. We deal with a large volume of orders, so every now and then, there can be an issue. Contractors hand write in addresses for our customers, sometimes the customer does it themselves. Due to this, an incorrect address may be input to our system. But this does not happen often.

So, please, contact us and not "complaints board" prior to contacting us.

Sep 14, 2011

United Circulation does not answer the phone or return calls from my personal experience.
    You are attempting to blame "contractors" or the customers themselves for mistakes on orders.
    In my personal experience, United Circulation LLC has terrible customer service and your posts serve to show your bad attitude towards customers. You blame customers for not being customers when they make a complaint, you accuse the BBB of being paid off for ratings... Everything but offer true customer service.
    Hopefully the company will improve. This would include -
    1. Permits for door to door selling.
    2. Sales pitches that are not outright untrue.
    3. Responding to customers via the phone number provided.
    4. Not cashing any checks if the address or anything else is not 100% clear on the receipt.
    5. If you are blaming your "contractors" for sales pitch falsehoods and incorrect information, hire better "contractors".

Sep 15, 2011

I received a message from United Circ accusing me of committing a crime by participating in this discussion about United Circulation LLC. The message claims the "crimes" of harassment and defamation.

There are 2 possibilities.
    1. United Circ does not understand the laws of this great country.
    2. United Circ understands the laws of this great country but is trying to intimidate me because they believe I don't understand the law.

To be clear, defamation is not criminal, it's civil. Defamation is nearly impossible to prove and free speech is covered in the Constitution. If there has been any defamation in this thread I believe it may have been United Rec's claim that the BBB charges for A+ ratings. Claiming McDonald's and Walmart have "F" ratings could also be considered defamation, if someone wanted to be technical. The truth is always the winner in a defamation case.

In terms of harassment, this message board and others like it, are here to discuss and reveal issues that have happened to people by certain businesses. You can't be threatened into silence due to revealing what happened to you or by providing publicly available information about a company.

I find it offensive that United Rec sent me a message to, what I believe, try and negatively influence my participation in this discussion.

Mar 08, 2012

Five minutes ago I turned two "students" away from my house after a 15 minute talk. They said they lived in the neighborhood but the address they gave is not from around here. The other one did not say where she was from. Saving money to go to Le Cordon Bleu in Italy. No Le Cordon Bleu schools in Italy. One was born in Germany but stumbled on the name of her hometown. I live in Europe most of the year and speak fluent Spanish and German.

I explained that another "student" had come to the neighborhood just last summer and I bought magazines and sent some to troops. Never received magazines and called number and spoke to lady who's number was soon disconnected. She said it would gake 6 months to receive magazines. Same company, United Circulation LLC. Same phone number. I read all of this forum to these "students" while in my house. If this would have been legitimate, they would have asked me to call their supervisor, contractor or whatever while we were all here. Instead they wanted out immediately.

• La
      Nov 25, 2013

This goes to Not Again Today and the rest of you misinformed posters-

I don't know why you had problems but the number on the receipt is not disconnected. I read your post and I decided to call them anyway thinking that you were honest with what you were saying. Yeah...you are not honest. First of all, it does not take 6 months to get a magazine. I got mine after two months. It was actually the wrong magazine(I wanted Snowboarder not Snowboarding...understandable mistake). I called the office after reading this "garbage" and I did talk to an office employee, I did get the magazine changed, and I received the correct magazine within two months. The person that came to my door was honest and told me they were just selling the magazine to make some extra money and maybe they could win an all expense paid vacation if they got the most points.

And to D Sgcruntled-

Are you OK? You seem awfully worked up over some door to door people. They are people just like you and me. Honestly, IMO, I think these people are doing better off then the low lives flipping burgers at your local fast food joint.