United Airlines / failure to deliver

WY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 307-358-8395

I was booked on a flight out of Cheyenne, Wy to Rochester, Ny fri. 19, 2017. flight was scheduled to depart at 7:07 a.m. cost $325.00
The plane would not not pass inspection several times. We did not leave cheyenne until 11:30 a.m.
I missed all my connecting flights due to this . When I finally reached Chicago the weather cancelled all flights. I wasn't schedled to leave Chicago until 10:00 p.m. the next day!
I rented a car which cost me an additional $500.00.
I am a business man and my time is valuable.
I did not fly from chicago, Ill to Rochester, ny. and i would like a refund for that portion of the flight.

Comments

• Me
      Jul 20, 2006
    United Airlines - One kind deed deserves another!

I was kind enough to bump off a flight that United Airlines had overbooked. I sat in the airport quite a few hours waiting for the next flight. I have not used my voucher yet and now we have an emergency where I need to use it. When I agreed to be bumped I did not know about the ticket until after I bumped for them or the 14 days waiting period to use this voucher. Now United is telling me that they can not make an exception! Oh, but I can buy an emergency ticket for under $500.00. I don't think that they will ever have to worry. I will never fly this airline again. I work for a company which employees 4,000 employees which we have used United Airlines as our main airline (after I talked them into it because they had better connections than Delta). Well Delta here we come again! I have called the reservation line (1-800-864-8331) they said they could not reserve a seat for 14 days, they transferred me (after putting me on hold and disconnecting me 3 times) to customer relations (1-877-228-1327). Customer relations then told me that the reservations line could make an exception. When calling reservations back again and informing them of this they would not budge. Well no wonder airlines are going broke. With this kind of service who wants to use them? What ever happened to the old saying 'One kind deed deserves another?' I think it went out the window with all the jobs of the American People.

• Wi
      Sep 09, 2007

Next time you don't have to receive the free ticket, you can also be offered a travel discount for future reservations. The free ticket option is always the best if you are planning to travel in the 48 states. Otherwise if you are planning a more expensive trip in the near future you may want to ask for the travel discount in this case you could have used.

•   May 13, 2008
    United Airlines - Never ending credit card offers
    P.O. Box 17198
    Wilmington
    Delaware
    www.sendmethecard.com

I receive at least one solicitation every couple of weeks and am getting tired of having to shred the applications. I called United Airlines, Chase and the 800 number printed on the application requesting that my name be removed from the list. None seem to work. Does anyone know how to stop this once and for all?

• Sr
      Aug 06, 2008
    United Airlines - Terrible customer service
    Regean National Airport
    Virginia
    www.united.com

Flight from Chicago to Regan National - last flight of the night - landed went to dig out my cell phone. Gone. It was in my bag when I got on the airplane - I know this because I turned it off while sitting in my seat. 3 minutes after I left the plane there is not a United personnel ANYWHERE. My phone fell out of my bag - it had to be on the plane! I went to lost luggage 1 hour later - still no response from the "cleaning" crew of the plane. Filed a complaint - left messages, called 3 times the morning after (EARLY) still nothing.

Enjoy your new phone - I told Verizon it was stolen so when you try to activate it - they will know. Thanks for nothing, United Customer "Service".

• Dj
      Sep 05, 2008

Email received :"Greetings,
    Thank you for using our new service "Buy airplane ticket Online" on our website.
    Your account has been created:
    Your login: [protected]@aol.com
    Your password: passUP78
    Your credit card has been charged for $676.15.
    (A reply brought back this information:
    "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
    <[protected]@yahoo.com>
    (reason: 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account ([protected]@yahoo.com) [-5] - mta467.mail.re4.yahoo.com)
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    The FBI has been contacted and is investigating.

Jan 08, 2009

Every time I get one of these application, I called to be removed. I still keep getting them. How do I make them stop?

• Ka
      Jan 24, 2009
    United Airlines - Lost bag- AGAIN!!

Took a business trip from Raleigh to Denver last week. Was rerouted an additional stop and 4 hours- LOST ALL MY BAGS. Had to purchase $100 in clothing and be .medical equiptment. Return trip - LOST ALL MY BAGS again!! To "compensate" me- given a $100 off certificate to have the same great experience again. No thanks. Plus had to pay $80 for the privilege of having a "baggage service". Southwest from now on. Shyoouldn't be surprised, 5 years ago they "lost" my daughter who I paid extra for to be escorted- put her on a plan to Detroit by accident. United Airlines go away.

• Dr
      Jan 27, 2009
    United Airlines - No Customer Courtesy (Must read if travelling with infants, elders, or with disability)

Flew from Vancouver, Canada to Los Angeles, then connect to Sydney Australia. I have a 6 month old infant traveling with me. Upon booking my ticket, I called United airlines and asked them to book me with a bassenet seat on the flight from LAX to SYD. They said this was on my reservation and to request this at check in. At check in, they said they have given us the seat with that will allow the bassenet.
    Like other airlines, they board their passengers by a seating group however the other airline allow passengers with infants, elders and people with disability to board first as they may take longer to board. This already had me steamed but I was not going to allow this to ruin my vacation.
    While boarding the plane in LAX, I went in the plane and had notice it was not a bassenet seat. (Seats with the wall in the front to attach the bassenet) I went back out to the ticket agent a the gate and they told me that the bassenet seat is not guaranteed. WTF??? I had checked and double checked as they had told me and I was told I would get a bassenet seat. Now I have to hold my child for a 15 hour flight. This really got me fired up. As I was returning back into the plane, a parapoligic person was escorted using a wheel chair that fits in the aisles of the plane, Of course they don't have the courtesy to let him board first so everyone had to wait in the aisle until they put him into his seat. Now since they have the wheel chair in the aisle that is blocked with passengers, they had no where to go but to ask the passengers to get out of the way. Ok so I thought it was the airport. Was I ever wrong...
    Leaving Sydney Australia, upon check in, again I asked for the bassenet seat. Again they said they have given us the bassenet seat. Again we did not get the bassenet seat. To make things worse, they could not find the reservation of my child. After waiting 20 minutes in line for the Check-In counter, they asked us to go to the Ticket counter. After waiting in line for another 10 minutes, they asked us to go back to the ticket counter again to get our boarding pass. Again waited in line for another 20 minutes. Check-in should not take an hours. This is when I finally realize it is the airline and their procedures around the world. I went home and completed their survey. All they replied to me was "Thank you for flying United Airlines, Please come back again soon" Never again will I fly this airline. I just spnt 30 minutes writing my experience on this blog and I hope this will be worth my time to warn others before select United Airlines as your fligh carrier.

• Mi
      Jan 31, 2009
    United Airlines - Awful airlines
    united.com

We are in the process of trying to change the date of one leg or our travel from Providence to California. This was booked through Travelocity which adds a whole new layer of difficulty. The basic rebooking fees are now something like $180 from the airlines and $30 from Travelocity. When you get this high, it is in the range of being cheaper and easier to get a new one-way ticket to replace one leg of your trip.

Dealing with Travelocity is difficult for this as you are talking to clerks in India that don't understand the complexities and have difficulty doing this. It takes so long to do this that the airfares will tend to change before the transaction can be completed.

In addition to this, the airlines claim that buying a new ticket for one leg is not legal and they will charge you for not using the unused portion, or cancel the return trip if you don't use the first flight (by buying a new cheaper ticket). I can understand that there can be last minute issues with reselling a ticket, but we are trying to do this more than 2 months in advance. Also, I am willing to tell the airline that I will not use one leg of a ticket well in advance. There should at least be limiting laws that, if I can buy a cheaper ticket than they charge for rebooking, I should be free to do so (provided I tell them what parts of the flight I still intend to use). There should be limiting fees for rebooking, say $100 max for the airline and $30 for the Travel service if you are changing your flight more than a month in advance. The airlines are trying to extort high fees once they have you locked into a flight!

• Li
      Feb 07, 2009

I can't seem to stop them either. BUT I do send the prepaid postage envelop back with some garbage flyer in it. They only pay the postage IF you mail back the envelop. Sometimes I put in a note "if you're going to keep sending me garbage, I'm going to send you some".

• Ri
      Jun 29, 2009
    United Airlines - Customer does not care service
    united.com

We booked flights to send two employees from Toronto to Salt Lake City on United Airlines. The flight from Toronto to connection point Chicago was late leaving. The explanation was that the flight's crew had been late getting in the night before, and could not take the 8:00am flight out until 9:15am. The flight in fact didn't leave until 10:00am.

As a result, our employees could not catch their connecting flight in Chicago. They were promised a flight to Salt Lake City leaving at 7:45pm that night. They wasted a day puttering around near the Chicago airport, and returned to the airport in plenty of time for their promised flight. At 10:00pm, two hours and fifteen minutes after they should have taken off for Salt Lake City, they were advised that their flight was canceled. They could not get a first officer to fly the plane! They were told it was because of bad weather, and as a result the airline refused to pay for accommodation. Our employees spent the night in the airport. The following morning, our employees found that all flights to Salt Lake City were booked until a 7:45pm flight that night. Since they would at that point have lost two days (and $6, 000 in billing) they decided they should return home, and they flew back to Toronto. We have been advised by our travel agent that the best we can hope for from United is a refund of the cost of the unused flight from Chicago to Salt Lake City. Several attempts to call United directly have resulted in a message indicating that they are "too busy" to take our call, we should call back later.

Jul 02, 2009

I was trying to get an upgrade in the United.com. Just under my itinerary in "Request an Upgrade", there is a link: "Purchase a 500 miles Upgrade kit" ($325). After my purchase, I learned that it only works for US, Central America and Canada travels. I will go to South America and would need the Economy Plus Year Plan ($349).

I called United Airlines and United.com costumer services and they didn't allowed me to change the plan or to cancel the first purchase. All the representatives sent me to other sectors or tried to sell the Economy Plus Year Plan (without cancel the first purchase). Several times.

I was tricked by United.com and they didn't help me at all. I am a mileage plus member for years and I am so upset with this situation that I decided not travel United anymore.

The costumer service is disrespectful and useless. They should fire everybody and put a robot repeating: "I am sorry. We can't help you. But before end your call, give me more money".

• Fe
      Aug 05, 2009
    United Airlines - delayed flights and bad customer service
    Colorado

I just got back from Australia using United Airlines as carrier. The first flight to sydney from LA was delayed for 3 hours, we (me and my son) practically sleeping on the airport since the plane supossed to leave at 10:55am. Instead we leave LA at arroud 2 am. It was fine, we can get a rest when arrived in Sydney.

BUT on my way back to USA, the plane got delayed AGAIN, they said it got delayed on Melbourne so they arrived in Sydney late. This time I freaked out since I have a connecting flight to Denver, and the TSA on LAX required everyone to pick up their baggage in LA due to security concern. Well, we arrived in LA, completely late, long lines at the baggage claim because the suitcase takes forever to come out. We have to reschedule our flight, with the United Airlines customer service in LA which were no help at all. Unprofessional, rude, not well organized. People were all over the place confuse don't know where to go, or what to do. We are exhausted, and this "customer service" people completely ignoring us. after waiting in line for about 2 hours, it is my turn to reschedule my flight, the customer service attendant was rude, he bassically treats me without any respect, he asked me, "what do you want?" after I stand there in "line for denver reschedule" for 2 hours!!! he droped my baggage tag that goes to the suitcase handle and told me to pick it up. He is very mean and make no sense, he treated all 5 caucassian people that is infront of me with respect and kindness, he even apolgize to them repeteadly. When it's my turn, he turns to monster and treat me like I'm a trash because I am female and asian.
    This is really sad, and repulsive to me that in this time, there are still people like that. United Airlines deals with travel bussines. Travel means customer from arround the world. Arround the world means people from all kinds of different racial background. I don't think I have to explain this much further, but I am dissapointed with United Airlines. This issue is very sensitive. They should not hire this kind of people for this kind of bussines in the first place anyway.

• Ms
      Aug 07, 2009

Please consider flying with QANTAS next time. I recently flew Brisbane - San Francisco with QANTAS. I cannot praise the staff enough. SERIOUSLY.

I then flew United from San Fran to LA. NIGHTMARE! The check-in guy was yelling - yes, yelling at passengers. I missed 3 flights to LA due to their EXTREMELY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE and the longest queues I have ever seen! United lost my bags on such a short flight. Never flying United again.

LA - Auckland - Brisbane was in the caring hands of QANTAS. I will ONLY EVER fly them now, if there is a choice. Seriously worth considering.

• Jr
      Aug 08, 2009

So you fail to investigate what you are buying before contracting for the services. Then when United holds you to your agreement, you claim to be tricked by United. Not a lot of self-honesty there, eh? When customer service fails to give you what you want, you claim they were disrespectful and useless. Just because someone holds you to your promise (terms of the contract), doesn't justify calling them useless. Would it be right for a tenant to call a landlord these things because the landlord expected to be paid his rent?

When purchasing from the internet, you need to be sure of exactly what you are buying. I would suggest this is a case where you have learned a lesson and move on. Better travel in the future.

• El
      Aug 17, 2009
    United Airlines - Terrible experience
    united.com

I purchased three airlines tickets from united.com for travel from Boise, Idaho to Kansas City, Missouri next month for myself and my elderly parents. The cost was $331.40 each. The purchase was made on August 2nd (Sunday). The next day I found that the price had gone down to $240.60. I called United's costumer service line and they refused to honor the lower price. I lost over $210 simply because I bought the tickets on the wrong day! I feel that their policy is unfair and should have a price guarantee.

• St
      Aug 20, 2009

Yeah, I question United's hiring practice. On a recent flight from Orlando to Denver, my son got the comic page of the paper when boarding. The paper was just sitting in a pocket attached to the wall ( I didn't pay much attention since a lot of airplanes carry reading material for passangers). Anyway, a bald flight attendant later came around to our seats and told my son, "Is that a Denver paper? It is mine", he grabs it back. " There should be another page. Where is it? Do not reach into the attendant's seat pocket and take things. Okay?" Whoa, who keeps track of how many pages there are to a newspaper. Anyway, there was no indication that the reading material was not for public use. Wouldn't you put away your personal "precious reading material" so the passangers would not take it by mistake.

For the rest the flight, he kept giving us dirty looks. When it came time for the refreshments, I had to flag him down to give my son an orange juice and then he ran off without asking me. FYI, I am Asian and maybe he thought Asians don't speak good English so he can say whatever he wants. It is shocking to me that a major airline will still hire people like that to represent them. This is the last time I will ever use United.

steaming asian canadian

• Cs
      Aug 21, 2009
    United Airlines - Worst Airline Ever/ Worst Customer Service
    Colorado

The airline "zeroed" and canceled the second flight on a round trip ticket I purchased because I apparently did not show up for my first flight when indeed I did and I had a boarding pass to prove it. I ended up calling the 1-800 customer service line to talk to very rude agents in India who denied that I ever boarded the plane. After spending hours on the phone, I had to drive all the way to the airport to talk to an agent in person who finally admitted that the airline made a mistake. Worst service I have ever experienced and the most rude agents I have ever talked to in my life.

Sep 02, 2009

Go elsewhere - you bought you tickets at a price and time that you by completing the purchase accepted as fair... they are not obligated to change your price paid! (are you willing to pay a higher fare if the next day the tickets went up in price?)

didn't think so... so don't complain to the world about your ignorance.

Note: Ticket prices can change hourly or more all the way up to flight time... there are complicated formulas they use to calculate price (but basically a common priciple - SUPPLY vs. DEMAND)...

Get over it!

Sep 02, 2009

This is policy - if you flew more than once in a lifetime - you would read and understand airline policy and T&Cs before you agree to them (i.e. via your purchase of the ticket).

Pending MP status, ticket fare basis, etc - different benefits are provided for delayed and cancelled flights. As you do not state any details of the other persons - they most likely were frequent fliers at a PE or 1K level or part of Global Services... (you know all those groups that get called to board before you)...

Try to read, comprehend and act responsible before moaning about what you didn't get... and think that you are "entitled" to...

UA is a good airline - and may make errors (but they don't control the weather or FAA requirements) - but they also compensate if they are wrong or are supposed to (either via Contract of Carriage or via keeping revenue generating passengers happy - these latter category applies to those who generate $50k+/year not your $500 one time tickets)...

Sep 02, 2009

Pending MP status, ticket fare basis, etc - different benefits are provided for changes or delayed and cancelled flights.

Sep 02, 2009

How is this UA's fault - seems you fail to take responsibility for your own incompetence!

Sep 25, 2009

Read the T&Cs before you purchase - YOUR IGNORANCE is not a right to complain!
    See the Contract of Carriage!

My advise - wait in the lobby to board last, sit down, shut up, and enjoy. Else fly someone else - your once in a lifetime flight revenue is meaningless to the value of those of us who fly consistently.

• This happens from time to time... Rather than wasting time driving to the airport, you should have asked for an email address where you could have emailed your scanned copy of the boarding pass as proof of travel. The airline should then have refunded the HIGHER fare you paid. At least that is the policy at my airline.

• Gy
      Feb 25, 2010
    United Airlines - Stole 10 precious hours from us
    united.com

I am sending this in hopes that this will not happen to any one else. My son was booked on a flight leaving Seattle Friday May 8 th at 4 something PM to fly into Chicago. He arrived at the airport 30 miniutes before the flight was to leave. He is in the military stationed at Fort Lewis. He was coming home for 72 hours to see his family wife, one year old son, mother and brothers. This would be the last time as he is leaving for Afghanistan. When he got to the air port he was told he was too late and could not get on the plane. He was told he could not be guarenteed a flight until sometime the next day. He talked to a couple of people that would not help him. Finally he talked to someone that got him a flight out at 11:00PM that night. He got his boarding pass for that flight and went and to wait. He was seated in the secured area and watched his flight that he had paid $402.00 take off with out him. He got on the plane and was waiting to take off when the announcement was made that the flight was being held so someone could board that was late. I am the mother of that man. He spent the night in the Chicago airport and we met the plane 10 hours after the original time we were suppost to meet him. My son is an American Soldier. He will not see his wife and son for nearly a year. If you could hold the plane for someone who was late, why could you not let my son who was there 30 minutes before the plane left get on. Your airline stole 10 precious hours from us and you can not give them back. My son explained all of this to the first two people and they could care less.

• Jk
      May 11, 2010

Aren't you supposed to get to the airport like 2 hours before your flight takes off? You have to check bags, go through security, and all that. 30 minutes is cutting it close.

• Ig
      Dec 04, 2010

EVERY airlines lies to travelers about their rights.The law allows up to $3300 in damages for lost or delayed bags .Airlines never tell consumers about the law, since consumers would buy essentials instead of being stranded with no clothes
    See how we busted open the story go to

• Ah
      Dec 21, 2010
    United Airlines - Bumped us from first class
    United Airlines

United Airlines owes us money for the difference in ticket prices. We had confirmed First Class seats from San Francisco to Philadelphia in July. We were bumped to Economy Plus seats. Since we paid for First Class seats but ended up in Economy Plus, we feel that we are entitled to a partial refund. But we have not received a partial refund of our airfare for the difference of $754. Our travel agent contacted United Airlines, but did not receive any response. I call their Consumer Relations department several times, but was never called back. I sent a Certified Letter with all the information and copies of the boarding passes. Again, no response. Our calls and letter have gone unanswered. We have sent them copies of our original boarding passes and the ones given to us at the gate. They don't have the common courtesy to respond. We are very angry about the situation. We are now contacting the news media for help.

• Al
      Jan 04, 2011
    United Airlines - Lack of customer support and service
    California

United Airlines booked me and my family on an Air Canada flight (off LAX) after they told me my flight was cancelled from Santa Ana airport the day before (literary 4 hrs before the flight) and they forgot to mention that they actually overbooked us on that flight and did NOTHING in the process to help me and my family get to our destination!
    After following up with UA - while waiting in line and hoping passengers change their mind last minute so that we can get back home - the UA agent told me she has NO access on the seating availability and I was completely puzzled and frustrated as to WHY they did book us on Air Canada to start with and WHY they chose to tell me my flight is confirmed, etc.
    I'll never ever fly with UA again!!!

• Sm
      Feb 28, 2011
    United Airlines - Canceled due to fog

The below letter I sent to United tells it all:

After planning a last family vacation before our children go their different ways and because it was our last family vacation we spared no expense to make it perfect by taking care to have all expenses handled ahead of time. Our trip started out at 4:30 AM August 1, 2017 at the Arcata/Eureka airport being told by YOUR agent our flight was cancelled. This meant that we would miss our connection flight in San Francisco to Seattle where we were to board a ship for our cruise.

I explained this to your agent and asked him to please check for other flights from Redding, Crescent City, San Francisco and Sacramento. He said there was no available seating on any flight to Seattle in time for our cruise. I asked him if he checked other airlines and he said he would only check United, if we wanted to know availability of other airlines we would have to go ask them ourselves and basically blew us off. Again I told him of the cost of our vacation and begged him for help he said “I feel your pain, next” and gestured to the people behind us. I asked when he knew the flight was cancelled and he said it was the night before when it didn’t come in because of the fog. I asked why we were not called the night before and he said it was because we didn’t book with United directly and went through an agent. What that has to do with the quality of service a customer receives I don’t know.

What I know is: He refused to help us find a flight, was basically rude and didn’t give a care what happened to us or how much money we would lose. I understand an act of God in causing the cancelation but I do not understand why we were not called at the time the cancelation occurred.

Had we been called the night before we would have had enough time to make other arrangements to get to our connecting flight in San Francisco.

We did find another flight on line leaving out of Sacramento on Alaskan Air. After driving 51/2 hours and 310 miles we got there in time to have United issue vouchers for our flight and switch to Alaskan Air. Alaskan Air could only book one of our party because United only switched one ticket not all four. It took Alaskan Air over 45 minutes to get the switch done over the phone; again we almost missed our flight because United screwed up. We barely made our cruise; we were the last ones on board.

Now, we had a vehicle left in Sacramento so one return ticket had to be switched so we could pick up our car. I called your 800 number (another expense because YOUR agent didn’t call us when the flight was cancelled) the United agent said it would cost us $150.00 to switch the ticket plus an additional charge of $77.00 for the extra distance of which I don’t know what math he was using because when I measure Eureka from San Francisco and Sacramento from San Francisco, Eureka is definitely a greater distance. At this point I’m very angry and ask for a supervisor and I get passed on to a person who says he will wave the $150.00 but he can do nothing about the $77.00 charge. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he said he didn’t have one, again I believe I was lied to. I told him how angry I was and wanted to speak to someone else; he said there was nobody else. Because I felt I was left no choice I took the switch and the additional charge of $77.00. The departure of the flight time was too close to the time we would be arriving in port and the cruise line said the flight would probably be missed.

The next day when we were in port I called my agent (another expensive roaming cell phone charge because YOUR agent didn’t make a phone call when our flight was canceled) and explained to her what was happening and she was speechless as to how crappy we had been treated by United. She found us a direct flight out of Seattle at less money, again on Alaskan Air at an acceptable time so the ticket was switched.

I spent 3 days of our cruise under a large amount of stress, multiple cell phone calls with high dollar roaming charges straightening out a mess that was created because YOUR agent didn’t make a call at the time our flight was canceled.

I am still so angry that when I think about it I can feel my blood pressure rise. I will tell my story to anybody that will listen, my children will post on their Facebook pages the tale with a message to pass it along, I will tell all my friends and will encourage all who read my story to boycott United.

For information only: My husband and I are in our mid 50’s and are looking to travel a lot as we look toward retirement, we will not be using United, my son is in the Army and daughter will soon be in the Army, we fly them home whenever they get leave time. We won’t be using United. My youngest daughter is in college in Chicago, we fly her home at least 3 times a year. We won’t be using United. As a matter of fact we won’t ever use United again. I will drive 51/2 hours to Sacramento every time if I have to or take alternative transportation. United will not get one more penny from me or my family again. I will not support a company that treats its customers so badly with no conscience. I have never encountered so many uncaring people in my life from one company. I will be sure to let the stock holders know.

• Ta
      Feb 28, 2011
    United Airlines - Bad flight
    United Airlines

I am writing in regards to my flight on May 19, 2017 from San Fransisco to Calgary, AB.

I am very disappointed with the customer service we recevied from your staff. We had been checked in to our flight and were hungry so we contacted the gate services employees to inquire about food services we could go to in time to catch our flight. They told us we had time to eat, and so we did.
    We got back to the gate and were held back because we were One minute and 40 seconds late for boarding. We had not heard any final pages for boarding. There were 4 of us and not one of us heard anything.
    We felt that were backtracking right away and automatically gave us a food voucher and were apoligizing sarcasticaly.
    We watched out the window as our plane was still attached to the boarding dock for at least 5 minutes. Then we proceded to wait for minutes while they took our luggage off of the plane. Then we saw our plane take off.
    Our flight was to be from San Fran to Calgary; a flight that should have been 3 hours. Instead we traved from San Fran to New York City, with 1 1/2 hour layover, then to fly from New York to Calgary with Air Canada. Our trip ended up being about 13 hours.
    3 out of 4 of us are elementry school teachers and had to have substitue teachers, which cost them each $200. I am a massage therapist and lost 4 clients at $70 each.
    We were very disappointed at the level of serive we received. I have traveled the world from Canada to Europe to Asia and Austraila and many other places. I have travelled SAS Air with is deemed to be one of the worst airlines and I feel their customer service excessively surpassed the service we recieved through your airline.
    I am a world traveller, and will go out of my way in the future to not take your airline.
    I am very sorry that I had to have this experince with your with your airline as I am not a hard to please person.

• Ni
      Mar 03, 2011
    United Airlines - Flight diverted, baggage didn't maket it, incompetent staff
    United Airlines

I had a flight, on a business trip, on United Airlines from Albany NY to San Jose, CA (via Chicago) on flights UA 5400 & UA 559 on March 7th 2017. An hour after the take off, on flight UA 5400, due to a mechanical problem the flight got diverted to Syracuse, NY. We were promised a flight to Chicago within 2 hrs. Till 6 hrs later, nothing happened. I missed my connection to San Jose and had no chance of making it the same day. After requesting, complaining, begging and haggling and dealing with customer service phone calls (hrs) and mechanical replies - I was one of the very few fortunate passengers who could get rerouted to - Washington Dulles and fly into San Francisco, CA, sometime late midnight. A journey supposed to take 8 hrs took me 18 hrs.

And, my baggage didn't make it. All my business clothes and material were in the bags. I was promised that it will be in San Jose the next day, 8th March 2017. When I called the baggage claims, I was told that baggages are there in Airport. When I went to the airport, late evening on 8th March 2017 (24 hrs after I flew in), only my hand bag made it. One other bag, it seems, has been sent somewhere else. I was told that it may make it San Jose airport late night. Nope. When I called the next morning, on 9th March 2017, I was told that my baggage is stuck in Washington' DC and hopefully can make it to Chicago later in the day and to San Jose eventually. I am still waiting on getting my baggage, even after 48 hrs of my travel.

And even after repeated tries, I am unable to get to talk to any customer relations representative on phone.

This complete mixup and incompetence on part of the United Airlines - customer service, baggage handling - has put me thru a lot of inconvenience. And miscommunication and false communication only made the whole thing much worse.

I demand that United Airlines:

a) Make sure that it compensates me, as a passenger, for all the problems it has created in terms of travel and baggage handling.

b) Make it's customer service more responsive, and easily accessible for passengers to talk to some one and helped in a meaningful fashion, rather than being put thru hours of mechanical and voice-activated systems.

c) Have a better emergency handling process.

If not, it is sure going to lose my business for sure. And many passengers like me. And if ignored and not addressed, many passengers like me will be forced to inform the matter to the DoT, consumer rights groups.

• Ne
      Mar 03, 2011
    United Airlines - NEVER fly UNITED, especially NOT internationally!
    United Airlines

I am writing you on behalf of my sister who was on the Untied flight on Sat, December 18th from Vienna to Los Angeles via London Heathrow.

Unfortunately she is not able to write this herself as she is STRANDED at the London Heathrow airport.
    She arrived at the Heathrow Airport with an Austrian flight and was boarded onto her connected United flight to Los Angeles which was supposed to leave at 10:30AM.
    After 6 HOURS of delay due to "engine troubles" they were ready to take off.
    Unfortunately, by that time, a storm pulled in and the Heathrow airport closed its services and grounded all the flights!

Now, i realize that these things happen, what i DONT understand is that my sister had to and STILL has to SLEEP AT THE AIRPORT because United has NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!

It is well known that London Heathrow as well as Charles de Gaulle airport are THE WORST European Airports to fly in and out of, but that does not excuse thier inability to deal with situations as such.

My sister a 22 year old student was NOT helped by anyone and the passengers were told to "go online and find their own flights."
    There were NO United Agents available to assist, passengers were given NO option to sleep at a hotel, NO options to re-book flights, and NO money to buy food and other necessary supplies!?

Now, I dont know about you, but this is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable! People pay around $1000.00 for a flight, if not more, and get treated as such?!

I just got off the phone with my sister YET again (and mind you she is calling from her AUSTRIAN CELL PHONE to the UNITED STATES, imagine the costs of that) and there are ABSOLUTELY no flight options with United until the 23rd of December (and mind you the weather report is predicting ANOTHER storm on that day)? Passenger relatives are booking flights for their stranded family members and are having to PAY for ANOTHER TICKET!

That is the situation!
    All the airline companies put you on hold for hours, i have be on hold with United now for the last 25min, to try and get resolve. Lufthansa is not even PICKING up their phone, so yea!
    happy holidays!

• Bo
      Apr 15, 2011

Yous was a learning experience. Life needs few of these. I have traveled United too many times due to their predatory position in the Philly market. They are consistently poor in their service. The personnel are as nasty as possible but not 100%. Some have not learned their job well. I have rejected a free trip ticket and trashed 25000 miles to avoid their wonderful service.

• Ab
      Sep 27, 2011
    United Airlines - Stay away
    United Airlines

I booked round trip flight (UA 0334) from Minneapolis, MN to Chicago, IL for my family. However, my wife decided to stay home with our 15-month baby instead of taking chances with airport delays due to expected snow storms in Midwest region. I called the Customer Service line and requested that the ticket of my wife be canceled. I was told that if I cancel one both of the tickets would be canceled. Then I told the persona that I do not want cancel my ticket but only that of my wife. He said he could cancel the tickets and then put me to a flight that was leaving one hour after my original flight. Moreover, I inquired about what would happen to my returned flight on Sunday. He assured me that since there were seats available in that flight; he would rebook me the same flight. I said OK. He asked me about my credit card information. As soon as I gave the credit card information, he hung up the phone. I received an email from United Airlines confirming the cancellation of the previous ticket (Confirmation no: S6MHW8). I waited the next email for my new reservation. It never came. I contacted the customer service center again. They told me: there was reservations for me and worse there were no seats available in other flights for the day. I asked them how they could cancel my ticket without securing me first for another reservation. They ridiculed me. Because of their accent, I asked them where they were located. They said in New Delhi, India! I requested to talk to a manager but they would not do. I was and still very frustrated with United Airlines. I had to cancel my hotel reservation with penalty because there were no other flights from any other Airline for such a short notice.

By outsourcing customer service to New Delhi, India, United Airlines may save some money but I assure you that the customer satisfaction is going to go downhill. Instead of hiring customer service professionals with traditional American courtesy, United Airlines decided to do on the cheap---outsourcing customer service to untrained, rude, less paid, Third World employees! Is this worth the price? I am a very, very unsatisfied customer. United Airlines ruined my holiday! Customers: stay away from United Airlines. I normally fly with Northwest/Delta but this time I made a huge mistake and I paid a very heavy price.

Shame on United!

Dec 27, 2011
    United Airlines - Lost baggage
    United Airlines

I must agree with the woman who had her luggage "absconded" by United. I have had the same experience ON CHRISTMAS EVE!. I have been given the runaround by 4 different customer service reps---none of whom would speak understandable English-----and given different stories. I am still without my baggage and still do not have a telephone number or contact person to tell. They sure make it impossible to trace these complaints to a responsible person, do they? I am a Premiere flier, flying thousand of miles each year. I have preferred United over other airlines up to this point. NEVER AGAIN! I am furious! And I still don't have my bags or my Christmas presents.

Pay me for my time, trouble, and loss of confidence in my "choice" airline and FIND MY SUITCASES! United, you suck! And get customer service reps who speak English!

•   May 23, 2012

Your travel agent made commission on the original sale - she was the one responsible to call you about the cancellation, and she was the one who should have re-routed your trip.

•   May 23, 2012

How were they to know that fog would cause the flights to be canceled? I mean really come on person.

• Dr
      May 24, 2012

SKOR uses a candy bar for her avitar. If you saw her you would understand. She looks like she ate a whole bunch of candy bars, a whole freakin bunch of them. Yup, Kelly is a big one, a very big one.

• St
      Dec 03, 2012
    United Airlines - Air Miles
    Illinois

My wife and I Travel a few times a year from the US to Africa. We purposefully chose United Airlines as our airline as they are a Star Alliance partner and we would be able to get United miles from our trips to Africa. But United does not tell you that certain seats on certain flights are not eligible for miles and they certainly give you no warning of this when you book you tickets on Kayak.com. We have over 20, 000 miles that they refuse to credit to us. What is even worse is that they do not let you know when that you have been denied these miles, they simply say nothing and wait for you to be proactive, not even an informational email. No loyalty to their customers what so ever!