United Airlines / cancelled flight

GU, United States Review updated:

Purchased three round trip tickets from San Antonio, TX to Pohnpei, Micronesia back in march to leave May 26, took my daughter out of school 4 days early in order to make it home for my son's High school graduation, everything was fine until I got to Guam, they cancelled our flight to Pohnpei. After about 2 hours of being shuffled around with my kids and all our luggage they finally shipped us to the Hotel to stand another hour in line, I guess United feels like hotel and meals will make us happy, well between these 100 people there are many different cases which United Airlines never send an Agent to find out how we were doing or even try to get us flights to make it home, we have been here for 2 days now, we have to try to book our own reservations, plus we are all missing the events that we need to get. This Airline has really failed their customers and they only reason they do this is because we have no choice but to choose them, I cannot believe that I have spent almost $6, 000 in order to get home (extremely costly) and i might not make it. To make matters worse they are offering me $50 or 15, 000 miles or 10% on the next purchase, how about refunding us some of that money we already gave them for a service that they failed to provide, FSM citizens need to start demanding better treatment from this United Airlines, so disappointed and frustrated, FSM leaders please, please start fighting for your citizens that is suppose to be your main objective

Comments

Nov 27, 2010

We were waiting for the second leg of our flight, going from Chicago to Green Bay. A barely audible announcement told us that the flight had been cancelled - no explanation given. After standing in line for well over an hour, we were told that the cancellation was for bad weather (despite sunny skies outside AND in Green Bay) and that they could not pay for a hotel room and could not even promise us a flight out the next day. I was forced to pay almost $300 for a rental car, drive unknown roads for 3 hours at night, and despite a complaint to the FAA and United, never received compensation for the missed flight nor for the rental car. United only bragged about their on time record.

• Cm
      Nov 27, 2010

File a charge back with your credit card provider saying services not fully provided for the flight.

Nov 28, 2010

Good thought, but to make things worse, we were flying on vouchers because of a previous bad flight (had to sleep in the airport on both the front and back end of a trip - food vouchers were worthless as nothing was open and no hotel rooms were available either time). Thus, United said they owed us nothing. Clever excuse.

• Re
      Nov 29, 2010

Hey Manny:

When you purchase a ticket you are agreeing to their terms and conditions. You should read those. You would learn that a weather delay (no matter how loud it was announced) does not warrant compensation.

Unfortunately, you do not hava a valid complaint, just a minor inconvenience that you agreed to when purchasing a ticket.

Nov 29, 2010

You missed the point. It wasn't a delay - they cancelled the flight and could not even promise to get us out the next day. Plus, I am convinced the weather was an excuse, as everyone else at both airports seemed to be coming and going fine.

• Mi
      Jan 29, 2013

What was the reason for the flight cancellation? 99.9% of the time there's very good reason the flight was cancelled (weather, plane malfunction, threats, etc.). I wouldn't really consider that bad on the part of the airline. Frustrating experience, most definitely, but should they have taken off in spite of the afforementioned issues and you/your child ended up in a plane crash you would be asking yourself why they hadn't cancelled the flight. The term "better safe than sorry" holds especially true when it comes to flight.