United Airlines / Do not care about their customers!

I have had terrible experiences with United over the years and swear I will never fly them again. But this last time takes the case.

I flew from LAX to Cedar Rapids, Iowa on July 2, 2006. I arrived an hour and half early for my flight. The lines were really long and not moving so I went to the self check in. It said I could not take that flight as my flight was delayed making it impossible to make my connecting flight in Denver. I had actually called one hour before I arrived and was told my flight would be on time. I was upset as I did not want to wait all day at LAX. So the very nice lady at the service phone told me I could catch a flight that would be about 45 min. later than my original scheduled flight and go through Chicago. The trick was that the next flight going out would not be until the morning, so I would have to spend the night in Chicago. I told her I did not want to pay for a hotel there and she assured me that United would cover the cost and that I just had to go to special services when I got to Chicago. I arrived in Chicago around 11:30 PM and when I went to the special services counter she told me about they said the were closing and could not help me and sent me down to baggage claim office. There was a long line there and I was tired. The lady said she could not help me and that I would have to pay for the hotel and contact United later about getting reimbursed. She then gave me a pink slip for a discount at select hotels. The next day I contacted United customer service and they said they could not reimburse me despite the fact I had the lady's name and ID. I also tried at the airport the next day with no luck. After numerous calls for help I finally got someone who said they would give me a $100.00 coupon for another flight. I did not want this, but since I could not get the money back I took it.

Now of course that means I have to use that stupid airline again. So I book a flight to Portland from Burbank online and put in my coupon number. I get back an itinerary that is not what I booked, but is from LAX to Portland and different times. I call the customer service again( and by the way I always get their India office and have to talk to people I can barely understand). They said they could cancel that flight and I would have to rebook it. I said what about my $100.00 coupon and he said I could not reuse it. After much argumentation and persistence and calling back I got a supervisor to rebook it properly with the discount. But when I saw my itinerary it charged me the full price. I had to call again and they assured me they would give me the $100.00 credit. After two days it finally showed up. But I spent about four hours on the phone trying to get a $100.00 discount which should have been reimbursed for my hotel. I swear I will never fly them again after I take this flight and use my 66,000 Frequent flier miles. I was saving this for Australia. After that I am done. I think more people need to write their complaints and while I was on this last flight I heard many customers complain and one took my name on a list where she is writing to Congress and the FAA about this airline. They do not care about their customers so why should we care about them.

Va

Comments

• Va

Where to I begin?

1. Your initial complaint was that you were angry because you called the airport an hour before you showed up, and were told the flight was on time. Then, upon arrival, you were told it was delayed. Do you have any idea how many things can happen in that hour, that affect flight departures? It could have been weather, equipment, ANYTHING.

2. You didn't want to wait around for a different flight at LAX, so you chose to call the service department and they advised you of a later flight through Chicago, but that you would have to overnight in Chicago. I don't understand why you would choose this option over waiting in LAX. That part is unclear, so I won't comment further.

3. You say the person on the phone assured you that United would pay the cost of the hotel stay in Chicago, and directed you to special services. I have no doubt that you complained about the hotel cost, and that she told you to see guest services upon your arrival in Chicago. I do, however, have serious doubts that she 'assured' you that United would pay. I think you are exaggerating to prove a point.
    4. The service desk was 'closing' and would not help you. This is frustrating, I agree. Baggage claim could not help and offered you a slip for a discounted room rate. The part about contacting United later does not ring true. If they were going to give you a voucher for a room, they would have done so at that point. United isn't in the business of 'reimbursing' passengers. It sounds to me like she just wanted to get you out of her line and move on to the rest of the people.
    5. After arguing with customer service over the hotel room, they offered you a 100.00 future travel voucher. Again, I have no doubt that they offered this to you just to quiet you and move on. Makes me wonder how much the room night was? You don't state this anywhere.
    6. You booked an itinerary online, okayed it, read the terms and conditions, and then the computer 'magically' it changes it and sends you a completely different itinerary? Um, no.
    7. You state that you are 'done' with United, so what is the purpose of your complaint? What do you expect them do to at this point?

17th of Aug, 2006

People should look at: http://www.untied.com/ for information about United.

17th of Aug, 2006

I am pretty sure most airlines do NOT offer reimbursement for hotel stays for delayed flights. That has been my experience.

17th of Aug, 2006

They didn't offer him reimbursement for the hotel they offered him a $100 coupon. And this WAS probably done to move him out of the line, however, it was done. Whether the poster was 100% honest (not sure it's up to Tracy M to scrutinize every sentence and it's validity)... clearly United could have handled the situation better than shifting him around throughout the airport - most airlines seems to not know when their own service departments open/close, etc.

17th of Aug, 2006

Many things can cause delays.....even in just that one hour. It could be weather, mechanical, technical, or it even could be delayed because crew is running late on a different flight. Most airlines don't offer vouchers on weather related issues...so it's interesting that they even offered that in the first place. Well try a different airline next time. Next time try to be more understanding about delays. My itinerarys change a lot too. Sometimes flights get taken off their system...

17th of Aug, 2006

Well the lady from the service phone promised me a hotel on United and I have her name and ID but that was not good enough. I got a stupid travel voucher which I hate as they are more trouble than they are worth and I did not want to use United again. If they promised me a hotel they should have kept that promise. That is bad business practice. I also booked a flight from Burbank to Portland with the voucher and somehow it booked me from LAX to Portland. I did check it over before I hit purchase and the airlines did finally apologize for that mess up. I know that sounds unbelievable , but it happened which shocked me also. Maybe the button for alternative airports was pushed I do not know, but it was not the flight I booked as I would not book a flight from LAX which is 1 hour from my house when I can book one from Burbank which is 10 min away. I only use LAX when the price is significanly different which in this case it was notm, only about $30.00. I never put LAX in the departure city, so I have no idea how that happened. Granted they cancelled that right away. But it will take me 2 months to get my money back. I just know that even the flight attendents were upset with thier airline and the poor treatment. I happened to be on the shuttle with them from the hotel back to the airport. Also a lady on my flight was gathering names of others who had a bad experience so she could go high up and make some changes with thier service. They just don't seem to care with the exception of a few employees. I wrote them a letter. I highly doubt if it will do any good, but at least I let them know my complaint.

United Airlines died long before 9/11

17th of Aug, 2006

Great I just booked a UAL flight. Let's hope I have better luck.

17th of Aug, 2006

For the record, I don't work for United airlines or ANY airline for that matter. I am, however, a 15 year veteran of the travel industry and have seen and heard it all. My comments were not a personal attack on you, Boykman, there are just many things that seem quite unbelievable about your story. Many of the things just don't add up.

Trust me, I am not defending the airlines, but in this case, I'm calling it like I see it. There are many, many times that I am on the phone to the airlines on behalf of my clients. I have spent, literally, hours trying to straighten out problems and issues that would make your head spin.
    At some point, however, you have to ask yourself: Is my time and energy really worth all of this? I'm not sure how much the hotel was, but at some point, I'm sure much more of your time and energy was spent fighting for the 100.00 voucher that you didn't even want.

• Wi
      9th of Sep, 2007

I bet he did book from lax. Since it is a direct flight. I personally would do the direct out of lax even if i lived near BUR.