Union Workers Credit Services / Unauthorized charges

I received an offer for a 10, 000 dollar credit card from this union workers credit services. The initial offer stated that for a 37.00 dollar fee you would receive a credit card with a 10, 000 dollar credit limit with a fixed 5.0% APR. I paid the fee and received a paper credit card. There is an account number and everything. Looks just like a real credit card except it is paper!!

Not only that but with the paper card I received a catalog, which they now inform you that your 10, 000 dollar credit card is only to be used for product in said catalog. No where in the initial offer was it stated that this was a membership rather that an actual credit card. I was led to believe this was an official credit card offer like any other you would receive from Chase, Capital One, etc...

Then when you try and call the number given for concerns on you membership, it is impossible to speak with a real person. Help me please!! I feel like an idiot for being led into this scam and would like real results so this does not happen to any one else. Thank you.

Bi

Comments

• Au
      7th of Jan, 2009

19th of Feb, 2009

I just emailed their department asking them these same questions after having received a letter in the mail. The fact that it says Platinum Card is misleading because I am associating Platinum Cards with banks. The only reason why I questioned it is because in the letter it basically states that it won't have a visa logo on the Platinum Card. Then I started to wonder where a credit union was around here in California that could give me cash advances with this card. I am glad that I didn't send in my last $37 when I need that money for food and rent.

• Mi
      6th of Mar, 2009

Thank's Billy...you saved me losing $37.00 my wife was going to give me, if it was legitimate and I'll take your word that it isn't.

Mike Yates
    mikearmen.[protected]@comcast.net

p.s. if I had a job I'd give you half of what you lost. I wish you luck if you try getting it back!!

• Ca
      9th of Mar, 2009

I did too! And you know what I did. I sent them a fake check that said F You!!! The least I could do was waste their postage...

14th of Apr, 2009

While I agree that the Union Worker Credit Service card does present it's information in a very unethical way; I feel that I have to point out the fine print at the bottom of the offer. It states:

"Visa and MasterCard are registered trademarks of Visa international and MasterCard, INC. Respectively, and are UNAFFILIATED with this offer or UWCS. Credit amount referenced Herein shall not be construed to function as any type of multi-purpose credit card and is EXCLUSIVELY APPLICABLE FOR CREDIT PURCHASES FROM UWCS."

Also, I feel the need to point out that other credit card offers always have a paper with the terms of service, interest rate, and other relevant information regarding the terms of usage. They are just making money "legally" by playing on people's lack of attention toward details.

• Az
      24th of Sep, 2009

In all fairness the letter I received from this company does state this is "not" a normal credit card. If you visited their website www.unionworkerscredit.com FAQ link it explains they are not a bank and this is not a credit card for purchases anywhere. Only purchases through their catalog. I didnt purchase this plan because when I went to their website and saw I could not view their catalog until I was a member, I was turned off. If I cant see the products I am eligible to purchase than you are not getting my 37.00. Other than that I would say you people need to read the fine print, visit the website, and research further before making a purchase. The company does in all fairness tell you its not a credit card.

• Pg
      29th of Sep, 2009

I received a letter also and so did my 23yr old son. Now my son sent his in a few days ago. Now they turn around and send me the same exact letter which made me curious. I went on the website and mutiples came up. When I saw SCAM by on of the sites, I knew it was to good to be true. Who in the heck is going to give people 10.000 dollar credit limit in the same household. What happens is that most people don't read the fine print which I tell my son that all the time with these free offers on the internet. It does say in the fine print that credit card amount herein shall not be constructed to functional as any type of muti-purpose credit card and is exclusively applicable for credit purchases from UWCS. It all sounded to good to be true. I just wish my son had did the same thing I did before responding. Is there a way to get the 37 dollars back?

• Ta
      3rd of Mar, 2010

They should be ashamed of themselves, this is not an honest business and they are taking advantage of so many people who are desperate for credit who failed to read the small print on their letters, regarding the fact that this credit is only good towards 'purchases from credit provider'.
    The old adage, what goes around comes around has been with us for so long due to its veracity. Despite the frustration and disdain that people like UCWS who prey on the desperate (often just plain innocent or ignorant) cause those of us who find such actions deplorable and underhanded, we can rest assured that they too, will at some point pay for any harm they've done to others. I've lived long enough to know that justice always prevails eventually, mainly because of people who like all of those who've spoken up here and will fight back.
    As for myself, I've written a few choice comments on the letter and will be returning it sans check or money order at their expense. No gifts from my dogs, though, the postal service doesn't deserve that...

• Sh
      21st of Nov, 2010

hi my name is shon phillips i live in st.louis, mo. and i just received a letter stating that i was pre-approved for a 10, 000 platinum credit card. however i still cant put in my approval number so i can look through the catalog. i have attempted this 17 times so im so done with this scam!!! its a good thing that i didnt send in my 37.00 dollars!!! im going to definitely report them to the b.b.b immediately!!! so people however receives a letter from them please contact me at 314-561-8128 this is not a fake phone!!! todays date is 11/21/10 dont send them [censor]!!!

4th of Dec, 2010

hi my name is salvador i live in los angeles and i just received a letter stating that i was pre approved for a 10, 000 [censor] is not true dont send nothing...

• Ex
      14th of Feb, 2011

For all of you that sent them a $37 check... I would go straight to your bank and let them know that you were a victim of fraud. Fill out the fraud affidavit and then go to your local police department and let them know as well. Your bank may be able to pull back the funds!!! Good Luck to All!!!

• Fr
      27th of Feb, 2011

I also recieves a pre-approved credit letter from UCWS. I have heard of this credit union before. But I had never seen nothing like this before. When I recieved this from them, I was some what aperhensive about it. So I decided to run them upon the Computer. I did not fall for this for a couple of reasons. !. there was no complaint restrictions on it that was in legal form.2. Most all credit cards you recieve are backed by a approved credit card company. It could be UCWS. Or it could be someone using their company name. At any case, It needs to be looked into. And the perpetrator dealt with.

8th of Apr, 2011

THANKS I'M GLAD I HAD A FEELING THAT THIS WAS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. I HAD VISIONS OF CONSOLIDATING MY HIGH INTEREST CREDIT CARDS ONTO THIS 5% INTEREST RATE CARD. I BELEIVE THE OLD SAYING IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS!

• As
      28th of Apr, 2011

Ive fell for junk like this before when I was real young, the company sent a letter and a check saying i'd filled out some surveys and won this large amt of money! and to use the check enclosed to send for fees and all this junk..to me at the age I was it was an awesome offer after all it was their check! STUPID me I cashed it at my bank, got a money order sent it to them and then later was contacted saying it was a fake check..So MY account was drafted for a few thousand dollars I didnt have because of being stupid and young! Never was anything done about it!! These ### are prob sittin next to them laughing..they will all pay! eventually!! I too will never be victim to any scams like this again..to all who lost their 37.00 sorry..just be glad it wasnt 3000.00!!! I too blacked out the return address and wrote what I thought and am mailing it to them!!

10th of Sep, 2014

I wish I had looked this up before I sent in a $37.00 they has cashed it and I have still seen nothing in the mail for this scam.
    It is not sept 2014 has anyone previously found a way to get your money back?