Union Adjustment Co / Scam and cheating

1 3214 W. Burbank Blvd.Burbank, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 818-566-8330

I wanted to make folks aware of an issue that I'm having with Union Adjustment. Union Adjustment is a so called 'zombie debt collection firm'. They buy up obligations from firms that have written them off, often many years prior, and attempt to collect on them. I had an issue with a car loan 14 years ago, and they have recently decided to bring it 'back to life'.

I filed for bankruptcy about 9 months ago for a different issue. Union Adjustment is listed on the schedule and was served notice of this on at least 3 occasions. Part of the process in doing a bankruptcy is that the creditor has to file a 'claim' to get paid the money their owed. The rest of the creditors on the schedule filed a claim, Union Adjustment did not. The rules thus say, they don't get paid.

Fast forward 9 months and I got a letter in the mail from my bank saying they've received a subpoena from Union Adjustment seeking my bank statements. This in violation of the automatic stay provision of the bankruptcy code, which mandates they are not allowed to pursue the debt once I'm in bankruptcy. It is also in violation of the Fair Credit Collection Practices Act. I am in the process of pursuing a sanction against their attorney for this as I write this with the bankruptcy court.

In addition, they have placed an entry on my credit report that says the debt became an issue in 2007. This is incorrect, since the loan was 14 years ago, and also illegal. I'm trying to get that resolved as well.

The moral of the story is if you're having an issue with a debt collector, it pays to do your homework and read the regulations. Debtors have rights too, and companies like Union Adjustment don't seem to understand that. One of the things I found when I did this homework was that Union Adjustment has an 'F' rating with the local Better Business Bureau. I can understand why!

Va

Comments

Ki
  3rd of Dec, 2008

These people are VERY DIFFICULT to work with. They are garnishing my wages and tried to get them to lower the percentage and was told that I could pay them $500 and they would do that. When I called with the payment, I was told there would be a fee of $5.00 to process the payment, which I had no problem with, but was told that the DEBIT payment I was going to make would take 15 days to verify. Why is that when it's an automatic withdrawl??? When I reiterated to the lady what was explained to me, she told me that it wasn't her money and she didn't care if I got the garnishment modified or not.

Cc
  4th of Oct, 2009

Strange that people who buy and don't pay think that they have that right while the rest of us pay our bills and rent.

I have a renter, Tamera L. Barnes, who paid me with checks that were drawn on a closed account which is Intent to Defraud - considered a criminal act in the courts. She now thinks that she can live in my property for as long as she likes.

Union Adjustmednt Co. previously won a judgement, in the court, against Tamera L. Barnes for non payment.

Seems that they have the right to recover money dead beat people scam from others.