Ultaulta.com - bad customer service

I recently purchased some Dermalogica products on Ulta.com. that I was so excited about. I spent over $140 on the products. One of the reasons why I ordered them on Ulta was because their Advertised Specials showed that I would receive a free Dermalogica Microfoliant with any order over $40 thru April 3 (two weeks away). I didn't purchase the product, specifically b/c I knew it would be coming with my order.

Well, I received my products in the mail, but no free gift. So I called them and inquired about what happened and if I could still get my free gift sent to me. The woman on the phone was nice, but pretty clueless. She didn't know how to navigate the website and asked me SIX times what product I was supposed to receive! After thirty minutes on the phone, she told me that she had all my info. and that customer service would call me back tomorrow about my order. What! Isn't the point of calling customer service to talk to someone in customer service?!? But whatever, I said "Are you sure someone is going to call me tomorrow?" She said "Yes, absolutely." So imagine my surprise when I didn't receive a call the next day. So I tried to send an e-mail instead. A couple days later they e-mailed me back with a blunt response. "Sorry for the inconvenience. The advertisement states while supplies last and we ran out. Sincerely, Ulta.com"

The page I was looking at (which was the virtual advertisement), DID NOT SAY "while supplies last". Why should I be held responsible for their mistake? So, I called customer service again and the customer service person tried to give me the same spiel as the e-mail response I received. Her response: "If I give this to customer service, they are just going to come back and say that we are out of the product."

I kindly asked to speak with a manager. I told him that one of the reasons why I purchased the products was so that I could receive the free gift. The manager said, "Well, I am looking up the product right now and it says we are out. You can return the product online or at the store for no charge if you would like. There isn't anything I can do." I was so pissed!! I responded, "That seems like a lot of trouble for something that wasn't my fault. Can you send me a free full size product of something else?" He said "No". Finally, after a lot of trouble he agreed to send a $10 gift card. In the future, if I ever need to order body, skincare, or makeup supplies (which I do quite often) I will NOT choose Ulta.com. They only caused me frustration and totally wasted my time.

Comments

Aug 13, 2010

Lack of response to their customer service emails. I have sent them several emails and they do not respond! Also I ordered an item and I have not received it yet. Their email to me said the order was shipped, but no shipping info. was relayed to me. Also they overcharged my account but I will be calling them later today and update.

• La
      Dec 07, 2012

The exact same thing happened to me. Classic bate and switch. They have a big advertisement on their website that tells you you are going to get this free gift with purchase (some of them cost just as much as the item you are purchasing). Then you place your order and never get it in the mail. Surprise surprise! This happened to me and happened to one of my friends. They assume that you will not complain and wind up getting away with it. In addition to the fact that you now have you wait 24-48 hours until a manager gets back to you when you call customer service and when they finally do (if you are lucky enough to answer your phone when they call) they are very rude, talk over you, talk in circles, and then only offer the $10 gift card and claim that is all they can do otherwise they will get in trouble. BULL! I had ordered a Pur minerals pressed powder and a free chisel brush was being offered with the purchase. I just happened to take a print screen showing my basket with the free gift. When I spoke with the manager (who insisted on seeing proof) I sent her this print-screen. Well all of a sudden her e-mail doesn't work and when I explain that it said free gift with purchase underneath the item she says "Well it didn't say what the free gift was." I told her that the advertisement said that free gift was the chisel brush with the purchase of a compact. She then told me that it could have stated that there was a minimum purchase requirement and that it might not have been a full sized brush so all she could only offer the $10 gift card. I told her that was unacceptable and that it didn't make sense to get a $10 gift card in lieu of a $23 chisel brush pre-tax. She said I had no proof of the free gift and that it "fell out of my basket" it was not Ulta's fault. I then asked her for proof of the minimum purchase requirement and that to prove that it wasn't a full sized brush. She couldn't and then told me that was all she could do. I am planning on calling them every day until they send me that brush. I have been a loyal customer for almost 10 years but will be shopping at Sephora instead as they offer better samples and free gifts than Ulta.

• Lo
      Aug 06, 2014

I was promised a phone call by an Ulta.com supervisor by the end of the day. Like a fool, I waited all day for the phone call but no one ever called. They have absolutely NO concept of the term "Customer Service". Hope they lose enough customers due to their poor customer service that they end up having to file for bankruptcy.

• Lo