Ulta and Instyle magazine / deducted money from account without authorization

A couple of months ago I purchased beauty products at Ulta using my debit card. The clerk offered me a free issue of Instyle magazine. I was not told that i would receive subsequent issues nor was i asked if i would be interested. Upon checking my bank account, there was a deduction for a subscription for Instyle magazine. The only way that they would have received my bank account information was by my debit card transaction. Isn't this against the law? I am beyond angry and am hoping that Instyle is familiar enough with this that they will refund my money. I see posts online about the same exact scam from 2008. Looks like they are back at it.

Comments

• Lv
      Oct 12, 2010

I also had the same thing happen to me here in Las Vegas. I went online to my checking account and saw a debit from InStyle. I never even gave InStyle Magazine my debit info. Ulta must have forwarded them MY information for my in store purchase! How is this even legal?

Dec 12, 2010

I went to Ulta and actually DENIED the free in style issues, and they still charged my account for the subscription! This is illegal! I want to know what recourse I have against this. They are giving my credit card information out against my will and other companies are making charges that I do not approve.

Dec 12, 2010

I'm thinking about looking into a class action law suit!

• Ka
      Dec 29, 2010

I am furious, I just found out Ulta gave InStyle my card #. Ulta DID NOT say that a subscription would be charged to my account. I received a postcard in the mail from InStyle welcoming me & stating that they are going to charge me unless I go online. I cancelled my subscription online & it shows that i'm already paid for the year...however the charge is not showing up on my statement yet. This is the same exact time my card # was stolen & I'm trying to recoup the costs. I vote for a class action lawsuit as well.

Dec 29, 2010

Good news! We can file complaints with the Illinois attorney general (the sate Ulta HQ is located in). The phone number is [protected] and the website is www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov . I encourage anyone who has experienced a similar sitaution to file a complaint and put a stop to this. We need to send a message that this business practice is wrong so other companies don't start doing the same thing. Also, you can file a complaint with the BBB in the city where the incident occurred.

• Ka
      Dec 30, 2010

Thanks Elle, I absolutely will file a complaint with the state and with the BBB!

• Li
      Jun 15, 2012

Thanks Elle I just experienced the same problem at an Ulta in Georgia. I never signed up for a subscription and money was later withdrawn from my account. I will be filing a complaint because this is not okay and if we don't stop it they will continue to scam others. I am also pissed that Ulta passed Instyle my card info. Just rest assured that Ulta will not longer receive any on my business and I will pass this information on to my many friends who shop there also.