[Resolved] TXU / over charging

1 TX, United States Review updated:

txu has a problem of estimating the cost of electricity and they and comquest have estimated an electric bill at my apt. when i didnt even live there ... and they will not adjust it or work with me in any way.. they keep saying it was a hot summer we estimated the bill what everyone in the town would have been.. how can that be when nothing in the apt. was on.. i cant estimate how much i owe them... im so tired of their rip off attitude and they just dont care about their customers... i was willing to pay a small fee for a refrigator that was on for a few months and they claimed the refrigator used 500 dollars of electricity...

• Resolution statement

• TXU Energy Retail Company Customer Care's Response, Feb 24, 2015

Dawn – We value you as a customer and are here to help address any concerns or charges you have on your bill. We understand high bills are frustrating and can be caused by a number of different factors, especially the freezing spike in the winter temperatures. Let us review your account and find a solution that works best for you and your family. Email your account and contact information to TXUECares@txu.com. We’re here to help!

Ab

Comments

• Al
      28th of Jan, 2009

TXU is a rip off!!! They overcharge. Their customer service is horrible. They advertise 24/7 customer service--but it takes an hour and a half to get through! They ignore repairs! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. It is crappy and should not even be allowed to conduct business. It is horrible that any company would take advantage of its customers to the extent that TXU has. The rate at which they charge their customers prevents many from even running the heater in fear of $400 plus electric bills. My family runs the heater less than an hour a day and yet our bill was $300 for one month in a small 2 bedroom energy efficient home! This is absurd for low income and/ or retired elderly who live on fixed incomes. Are they suppose to live in cold in the winter and the heat in the summer? Because thats what most will have to do. Who is there to help them? Is there no relief for them from this shady electric company? Many, like me, cannot switch without a fee for cancelling the 2 year contract. I have lived in California, Florida, Arkansas, and Texas. TXU in Texas is the most expensive my electric bill has ever been!

• To
      9th of Feb, 2009
    TXU - Rate Plans/Cancelations fees
    Texas

TXU signed me up for a rate plan that insured the lowest rate. Then I find out it was the one of the highest, but when I shopped around and switched was charged $200. TXU did not want to work this out with me and their customer service routed to Manila was terrible. STAY AWAY FROM ANY RATE PLANS WITH TXU. YOU CANNOT SHOP FOR THE BEST RATE BECAUSE YOU WILL BE CHARGED $200 IF YOU SWITCH!!!

• Em
      18th of Feb, 2009

I know exactly what you mean. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment myself and in 2 months my bills totalized almost $800, I call several time to let TXU know that it may be a problem with the meter; because it is impossible to have such expensive bills in a apartment, but they really don't seem to be concern by that!!
    I don't know what to do anymore! the only answer is that even if I have to pay $200 early cancellation fees I 'm going to switch with another company!
    being new in USA does someone knows which one I should turn to? I will like also to report these outrageous TXU bills to a consumer association, give me some advise.
    Thank you .

TXU - Return Credit
    TXU Energy
    Dallas
    Texas

I have cancled Service on June 17. I have a 2000 dlooas credit that was supost to take 5 to Six weeks to recive. Its now September 4, no check, and when I call every week for the last 4 weeks. All they can tell me is sorry I should jet It next Week.

• Ds
      12th of Sep, 2009

Amazing...I just had the same exprience with TXU. Their lower management appears to be inept, univolved and unable to provide a quick cost benefit analysis where both parties benefit. The revenue they lost from me deciding to switch services is far greater over the remaining term of the contract that waiving the fee and allowing me into a lower rate TXU plan. People do not realize that TXU is basically a billing service. All of the lines and service outages are handled by Oncor not TXU or any other "provider"...and the electricity is bought and then resold to their customers. It appears to me that try to convince people that they produce the electricity, distribute it, and handle the lines and do everything. They are basically a billing service selling you the electricity you use. Any other company can provide you with the same service. We need to all wise up and contact TXU to try to get them become competative. Otherwise, we need to change services.

• Ag
      9th of Mar, 2010

I have never in my life dealt with a more fraudulent company than TXU. I was ignorant and I guess spoiled coming from the North East where utility companies are regulated and kept in check with the government to make sure they aren't over charging and lying on bills about usage. Here's what I just submitted to the BBB, I doubt it will get me anywhere. But basically my bill went from being $60 to $430 the next month and this was with no one living there half the time!!! We have tried and tried and tried to get TXU to admit they are either lying or made a mistake and they won't budge. Dealing with them for the year and a half I was in Texas was a nightmare, our electricity was going out all the time, they turned it off without warning and would turn it off even when we paid our bills on time and try and charge us a fee to get it turned back on, not to mention that they wouldn't send someone out for another day after they turned it off. And we were being overcharged the whole time we were there. We had bills up to $600 for one month in a one room studio apartment. Oh and we almost never received our bill in the mail. I would have to call them several times before I could get a bill actually sent to me, including my last bill for the apartment I moved out of, I still have not received it even though I've asked them to send it multiple times. I also have never been able to actually view it online because their website conveniently enough doesn't load the current or past bills:

I believe that TXU Energy has provided false meter readings and estimates for account number {woops editing out my account number and former address}.
    I initially contacted the company in the beginning of January 2010 regarding a $430.27 charge for the month of December, because the charges had almost doubled from the previous month and had gone up more than 5 times from the month prior to that. Considering that I was not living in the state and there was only one person living in the apartment part time the reported usage was obviously false. I was told that the meter reading was estimated based on the usage from one year prior. When I mentioned that the previous year we had had an issue with a heating unit which was malfunctioning and over using electricity and that after it had been fixed our electricity bills had been reduced significantly, if they were estimating based on the December of 2008 then the estimation would not be correct because the heating unit not only was now functioning properly but was also not being used the majority of the month because we had already begun moving out of the apartment and were not there for much of the time in the later months of 2009. I was told that the corrections would be made on the next bill when they were able to get a new meter reading.
    I have since contacted TXU again because my bill is still very high, and believe that they still have the incorrect meter reading. The meter reading for the month of December 2009 which was based on an estiamation on January 3, 2010, not an actual reading had not been adjusted by even a single digit, the bill had not gone up or down at all, TXU claims that they estimated the bill for Decemeber 2009 usage down to the very last penny without looking at the meter. Additionally we were told that there was an estimation because on January 3, 2010 the meter was not accessible. This statement is false. There are no fences on the property, the meters are outside of the building, there are no animals living on the property and there were no weather issues on January 3, 2010 according to weather history data. It was stated by the TXU representative that they are allowed to make estimations 3 times per year. Because there was no reason for there to be an estimation at this date it seems highly likely that the estimation was made to maximize TXU's profit rather than bill me, the customer the actual amount of electricity used for December 2010.
    Our situation is certainly not unique, upon researching the company there are countless complaints of this very same issue with other customers and former customers.

• Do
      27th of Aug, 2010

TXU needs to be regulated

I have the same problem with TXU, my bill for Agust is 3 times more than what i usually pay, i know how much energy i used per month and i know what i should be paying. I have been a customer for TXU for almost two years. last month (july)they double my bill i paid it and i did not complain but this month they went all out and charge 3 times more than usual and this time i did complain because i do not agree with their charges. I contacted customer service and they said that the meter is correct, that everyone pays more during the summer because is hotter, and that i'm being charge the correct amount. I understand that if you consume more energy you have to paid more, but just because everyone is using more energy does not mean that i have to paid more. I do not know what to do about the bill, i know that if i pay it they will get away with overcharging me.

can anyone suggest something?

• Ad
      16th of Sep, 2010
    TXU - Prices
    TXU
    Texas

TXU is by far the most expensive electric company i have ever done business. There are others that are cheaper, but you can't get those companies where I live. TXU knows this, and I believe they only jack up the price because they can.

• Da
      18th of Feb, 2015

I recently purchased a home in Belton, TX and family moved in in Sept when temps were in the high 90's. The electric bill was $290 for October which wasn't too bad but in Dec it jumped to $350 and in Jan over $500! I changed plans and they hit me with a $295 fee. Now I want to get out of their strangle hold and it's going to cost me $150. Every week I get electricity usage updated that my bill is going to be $50-$100 more than they forecast it to be the previous week. I think they need to be investigated and pay the customers back. They have spoken rudely to me trying to make me, the customer understand that the home I purchased is not energy efficient. I had the previous owner who had TXU energy also, send me the past year's bills they had with TXU and not one bill was over $300. Not for the hottest month and not for the coldest month! This company is a fraud.

• Ro
      20th of Oct, 2015

I haven't received a bill yet, but my estimated usage this month is at 1671 KWh, which at my rate, (including TDU charges and taxes, $0.17/KWh) would be $284, but the estimated usage is displaying that it will be $558, which would be a rate of $0.33/KWh. All I can say is that if my bill comes out to anything near the estimated price, I will be cancelling and taking legal action. All rates and fees within my contract have been overlooked and accounted for and come out to nothing near what my estimated price is.