TXU Energy & TXU Delivery / Incredibly poor service

We were without power for two days due to a problem caused by TXU. No one, either in customer service for TXU Energy, or TXU Delivery made a minimal effort to correct the problem. They knowingly lied to us every time we called customer service. After at least fifteen calls to customer service, we finally called the corporate office and found an individual who would help us get the power turned back on. This problem was not caused to nonpayment or late payment - we have a perfect payment record for the last 25 years. This was caused by non-maintenance of power lines owned by TXU. Due to having no power for two days, not only were we out the cost of an electrician who was trying to help us, but all the food in the refrigerator and freezer had to be thrown out, and my husband, who telecommutes from work, lost at a minimum 16 hours of billable time. We estimate the total out of pocket cost to be between four and five thousand dollars. They don't care. They will never care. They are interested in charging the customer and collecting their money, not in providing any service and there is nothing any of us can do about it. Short of spending more money and hiring a lawyer who can probably accomplish nothing against the corporate bureaucracy, the average consumer has no recourse against this type of treatment. My plan is to post as many complaints as I can on every website. In addition on Monday I am canceling service with TXU - it is my only option.

Comments

• Fo
      16th of Nov, 2007

TXU Energy and TXU Electric Delivery are different companies, this is something apparently nobody seems to understand. So if it happened to be a problem with TXU Electric Delivery (which actually is called ONCOR), you will not solve the problem by canceling your account with TXU Energy. The Transmition and Distribution Service Provider (ONCOR) will remain the same and will still own your poles and your wires, no mater who your Retail Electric Provider (TXU Energy, Reliant Energy, Green Mountain, for example) is. And yes, maybe TXU Energy only cares about collecting your money and not about maintaining your wires. only because TXU Energy's job IS to collect your money and NOT to maintain your poles and wires. So if there is a miss billing or a misinformation from a customer care represenative, then you may complain, but a claim for something that is Oncor's fault will not go through. Sorry to let you know you and your lawyer are sewing the wrong company.

• Ru
      27th of Nov, 2007

We have had a problem with Oncor as well. Our power was incorrectly turned off (according to TXU Energy). Oncor, our electric delivery provider was then notified and we were told that our power would be restored no later than 12:00 midnight, (approximately 5.5 hours after being notified). At approximately 11:45pm we called to verify that they would be out to restor our power shortly. We were then told it would be sometime the next day. After some frustration and some further, very frendly discussions on both sides, we were told (by a supervisor) that Oncor had made a mistake and that the best they could do was to have our electricity restored by 6:00AM. By 9:00 AM there is still no power. Oncor customer service is now informing us that they will be out as soon as they can, whatever that means. I will be going back home early afternoon to check. If power has not been restored by then my next phone calls will be to Oncor CEO Robert Shapard's office directly.

• Rn
      29th of Feb, 2008

Several years ago a Green Mountain Energy rep called me and convinced me to switch from the energy company I had been using for 20 years and never had a problem with over to them because of the "green" benefits at a lower rate. They said they had accessed my total usage for the past 12 months from the other company and averaged it out equally so I could have the same payment each month - no more high summer bills. Sounded great so I switched and all was fine (sort of)for a couple years. After getting frustrated with my bill arriving at inconsistent times each month, I switched to another. Then Green Mountain sent me a goodbye bill for over $3,000!!! Saying I used more than my allotment.

After going round and round over several months, a rep finally admitted the reason it happened was because Green Mt never came out to read my meter until after I switched, and apologized that it was negligence on their part because they were a new company and didn't have all the kinks worked out. I thought that was the end of it until several years later I received a call from a collection agency. This is beyond outrageous. I was a residential account with an average $400/month bill. What utility company would allow a customer to get over $3,000 behind and never call, send a letter, or shut off their utilities - just continue billing and accepting payment of the same amount each month???? Scary to think what it would be had I stayed with them 5, 6 years!
    This company is frightening!

Sugar Land, Texas

16th of Apr, 2008

I RECEIVED A BILL ON JUNE OF 2006 THE BILL WAS OVER 2 GRAND. I CALLED AND COMPLAINED TO (RELIANT) THEY SAID THE METER HAD BEEN GOING BAD AND THAT THEY WERE GUESSING WHAT I OWED. I SUBMITTED A FORMAL COMPLAINT TO THE UTILITIES COMMISSION, THEY ASKED RELIANT AND TXU WHAT THE ISSUE WAS AND I WAS BULLIED BY THE BOTH OF THEM SO I SWITCHED BACK TO TXU. LATER MY BILLS HAD SKYROCKETED SO I HAD A FRIEND FROM ONCOR COME OUT THIS YEAR 2008 WE FOUND I HAD BEEN BILLED FOR THE WRONG METER FROM JUNE 2006 TO FEB 2008 AN OVER BILLING OF APROX 10 GRAND OVER THE COURSE OF THIS TIME. I HAD AN ELECTRICIAN REWIRE THE BUILDING TO CANCEL SERVICE ON THE ACCT WHICH WE DID. WHEN THE ACCT WAS CLOSED THEY TURNED OFF SERVICE TO THE STATE FARM OFFICE 3 DOORS DOWN. LATER CHARGING THEM EXTRA FOR AN EMERGENCY TURN ON. I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING TO PAY ALL THE BILLS AND THEY WERE WRONG AND I COULD NOT GET HELP EVEN FROM THE UTILITY COMMISSION. I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING FOR 3 MONTHS NOW TRYING TO GET MY MONEY BACK I NOW BELIEVE I NEED TO GO TO THE PRESS FOR HELP.

• Gl
      13th of May, 2008

When applying for service I have never received a bill, now all of a sudden I have received billing of almost $700.00, now what do I do, I have talked til I'm blue in the face. No one seems to want to help me at all.

Can someone give me a personal call concerning this blunder @ 832.439.4868, thanks.

Glenn B. Sloan
    13455 Woodforest Blvd. #5
    Houston, TX 77015

Would you kindly treat this as an URGENT MATTER.

• Qu
      30th of Sep, 2008

The problem is they outsource their customer service overseas. I have complained four times to TXU about sending incorrect information to my credit bureaus. I was so angry and only wanted to be transferred to the Dallas office and the call center could not transfer me. I will NEVER use TXU. They outsource customer service overseas. They have taken jobs away from US citizens.

6th of Nov, 2008

I change address about two month ago and call TXU to have them switch my service to my new address. I went through the whole process of getting new service, did the recording and "the whole 9 yard". All the transfer took place 2 months ago (August 22, 2008). I receive a notice from the electrical company telling me that they where going to disconnect my service because I had not paid. I thought that was strange because I had just made a payment of $180 to TXU. I called TXU on Friday (10/31/08) to see what was going on. I was informing that TXU had not switch the address and that they will do it immediately. TXU advice me that I will not loose any power, and that I did not have to pay anything because that was their mess up. On November 3 my power got turned off because TXU did not take care of this issue as they said they will. I call that same day to have the issue taken care of. I was then told that TXU was no longer my provider and that i had to call Center Point to find out who my provider was. I spent about 2 hours on the phone with TXU trying to resolve this issue. After they reviewed my old account they realized that they had messed up and not process the transfer two and half month ago as they where supposed to. I was told by a Supervisor that he was going to submit the paper work to have my electricity turn on in a couple of day. I waited a day and called Center Point to find out if they had received the work order which to my amusement they said no. I then call TXU and spoke to about 3 different supervisor and they said that the paper work was not process and that they had to resubmit the paper work moving my power date to Monday 11/10/08. I spoke to Center Point and they advice me that all they needed was for TXU to send a notification to connect my power immediately. I call TXU again and spoke to the Manager John (ID XLGG) and he said that he will TRY to send a not to Center point to expedite the process. I told the situation that I had a 1 year old daughter and that I could not have her in that heat for a full week. I also ask if I would be reimburse any on my losses and they told me no. Today is November 6, 2008 and I still have no power connected in my apparent and I have being calling TXU trying to resolve the issue and I keep getting different stories every time I call. I have tried every not to take TXU to court but think I might just have to do that and file a complaint with corporate about this issue. I will be changing Electrical Company immediate and will never use TXU again. They are the worst company and a bunch of liars too. They do not document what they tell you. They make up stories by saying that they told you something and that the call got disconnected. If they are recording the conversation, why can’t they match up their notes with the recorded conversation?? This is the worst nightmare I have ever had!!!

• Ur
      19th of May, 2009

I have been a TXU customer since July 08. For a few months I was able to submit payments online with no hassle. Well, I soon realized that I have two jobs. My full-time job, as well as, dealing with TXU. For months I have to call and make payments because the system is down and the automated system cannot seem to find my account. Then when I get in touch with a TXU Representative they cant find my account. After giving them my S.S number D.L Number, Address, and Acct Number (which I usually have to repeat to them 3 times) they mysteriously find my account information. And then they tell me that I no longer have service. That sure is strange because they are still sending me bills and they are getting paid on time (not without a hassle though). After months of them repeatedly telling me the same thing, they give me a new account number. Apparently it takes 6 months to transition onto a new system and I am assuming that this is where the problem came from. Not really sure why this would be that complicated though.
    Well, I then got a bill for $512.28. Which included this month and two other months (the two other months have already been paid) stating that if it is not paid my electricity will be turned off. I called to speak with a Rep regarding this issue. I gave him my "new" account number and surprise! surprise! he says I dont have service with TXU. And then he mysteriously finds my information and tells me not to worry about the electricity being turned off and my account will be updated in two weeks.

Well...after months of frustration I am not waiting another two weeks. I am going to another provider

• Up
      24th of May, 2009

I am just about "spent" over TXU! I received a low bill in December of 08 of $11.01. I called and told them there is something wrong with my meter because it is not reading me a base charge. They sent someone out to check my meter and I called a few days later and they told me that my meter is fine. Well this continued until January of 09 when I got an even lower bill. I called again and they told me my meter was fine. this continued until February and March. In March Oncor finally put me a new meter in. When they did that they went back and rebilled me for January, February, and March. My electric bill is now over $1000.00. They set me up on payments andstarting with my June 09 bill I will have to pay $252.96 plus what my June bill is. I am going to call Better Business Bureau and contact my lawyer. Maybe I can get something done then.

14th of Jul, 2009

TXU nightmare: Promised a SimpleRate 24 plan at a good price per kWh back in March 2008 and offered a $75 coupon incentive. So, I switched to TXU from my previous provider. Service finally started 10 weeks later and it was a much higher rate. Called several times in July 2008 to correct, but no one could find a record of the recorded call I made with the sales representative. All they would do is offer me their current promotion (of course at a higher rate). Frustrated with still being at the beginning, I sent an email in July and September. No responses from those emails. Tried again in October and finally reached a Complaint Coordinator who seemed to understand my plight and said he could fix my rate to where it should be. Said he would even give me the $75 coupon promised.

When I didn't see any changes on the next bill, I called back in November and confirmed that nothing had changed. They could not help me.

Emailed them twice in December. The first time they just closed my request without doing anything. The second time I was promised a call within 48 hours. Never did receive that call.

In January 2009 it was a fresh year, I thought I would start off for a fresh resolve to this. I called, repeated my story again (for the 20th time) and was told that to get out of my current plan (that I was incorrectly placed into) would be a $200 cancellation fee. Called again the next day to start over and moved to the Escalation Team where they seemed to understand what had happened. A supervisor supposedly moved me to the correct plan (again) and told me I would get the $75 coupon promised and the $125 overbilled from last year.

February - noticed that I did receive the $75 credit for the coupon promised, but did not see the $125 for overbilling nor did I see the switch to the correct plan. The imcompetence is overwhelming! I'll be patient again and see if it takes two cycles to post everything.

March - Early in March I called and asked about the credit, as usual I was switched several times to several people and had to repeat my story mutliple times. Said I would receive the $125 credit and a phone call to confirm the credit. Finally on March 31, after never receiving back the promised phone call, I called them and was able to confirm that the credit had just been applied.

April - Still receiving bills with the overcharged amount, but just too disgusted to call them and begin the process over again.

May 2009 (15 months after the journey began) - Have picked up the torch again. Not able to resolve through TXU, so I placed a complaint with the Public Utilities Commission and provided them with all my documentation.

June 2009 - Four weeks later I received a reply, that I would be moved into the month-to-month plan that has no early cancellation fee and that they would credit my account for the $159 overcharge that they determined. A manager called me and left a voice mail stating this, but did not leave a working phone number to reach her at. I did not agree with her calculations and still see that they owe me $75 in overbilling. Tried to reach her by calling TXU multiple times, but TXU states they have no internal email system to email employees or cannot transfer any phone calls to another employee. There is absolutely no way to contact the manager. Is that ludicris?

July - Have not seen the $159 credit yet, but I believe I have been switched to the no cancellation fee plan.

In conclusion, this is a company that is at best, incompetent. It has no accountability, so they have no incentive to get it right. From my discussions with their supervisors, their set up is also totally designed to prevent their employees from being accountable... no emailing employees and no forwarding of phone calls to specific people (only general queues to throw you as the customer into). I have been lied to countless times about return phone calls and credits to my account and have been disconnected (hung up on) multiple times. I have no faith in anything they say...as I believe it is nothing more than dribble to get you off the phone. I have spent well over 40 hours of my time dealing with this complete debacle.

• Ha
      31st of Aug, 2009

I bought a new house in May '09. I was instructed to have the electricity switched over into my name with TXU, which I did on 05-28-09. To have electricity to move in, I had to give a $400 deposit. Two days later I called Green Mountain Energy and had them take over my electrical needs on 06-01-09. Several months later now I am receiving bills from TXU with estimated readings stating I owe Hundreds of dollars for service that was never provided. Meanwhile I am paying Green Mountain for actual service provided. I have called TXU multiple times over the last couple of months and have spoke with employees and account supervisors for customer service. Customer service, who is stationed in Central America, has told me numerous times the system is down and they can not help me or that they do not know what is happening. Each time I call the next supervisor acts like this is the first time I have called and asks the same routine non helpful questions. I have contacted the billing department for TXU and have received the same insufficient help. I have made a complaint throught the customer service as a formality, what a joke right like thats going to accomplish something. Each time I call TXU the supervisor calls ONCOR and ONCOR tells TXU account supervisors that I did switch over to Green Mountain Energy on 06-01-09. TXU sent me a bill stating my deposit would be credited to the amount I owe them and I am responsible for the remaining hundreds of dollars. I HAD SERVICE FOR TWO DAYS and they tell me I still owe them hundreds of dollars, this is ridiculous. They refuse to fix this. I made a complaint through the Public Utilities Commision web site and have heard nothing back. TXU refuses to give me a number or email to any corporate person to help me with my needs. A lawyer would cost more than the ficticious debt owed. I do not know what to do. Does anyone have any numbers for corporate personnel or any suggestions.

• Te
      17th of Nov, 2009

I hate txu i meter went bad and onocor nor txu will make any adjustments on my bill which is now 565$ thats for 4 months because my meter was bad and I contacted them the 1st month it happened and it took oncor 4 months to come change my meter and many phone calls! How frustrating, has anyone taken this to court?

• Ti
      11th of Jan, 2010

TXU sucks.. Money hungry trolls !! They could care less about customers as long as $$$$$$$$$ is being brought in!! My bill has NEVER been over $250.00.. then I get my bill today and it's $100.0 more and when I called TXU .. the CSR kept telling me that I dont have any options but to pay.. I told him.. OH YES I DO I CAN TAKE MY MONEY AND GO TO ANOTHER COMPANY!! I will never refer TXU to anybody I know .. They are nothing but RIP off artists in disguise as an honest business.. Ever heard of David and Golath TXU? The lil guy won!!

15th of Jan, 2010

T

Txu is indeed a rip off company, this company charged me in May of 2009, $400.00 deposit for service at my small one bedroom apartment . in the hot summer here in Texas I never went over 500 usage . they sent a rep to my apartment who changed
    my energy meter to what they call a advanced meter my bill shot up to 1987 usage from
    $31.89 to $180.00 with then one month, I live alone and have never used a lot of energy. I'm on social security disablitie that all the income i get and I have to pay or be in the dark. I have to choose between energy or food with my fix income TXU-Oncor has no heart for their customer. they won't stand for their mistake!!!

Herbert K Jackson
    herbert_jcksn@yahoo.con

15th of Jan, 2010

TXU _Oncor sucks; they are not fair for a big energy company they with not help the little people who are on disablitie goverment funds and so much trying to stand on my feet and have a place to stay and just live peaceful life !!! every time they change the new meter they steal from the customer!!! STOP RIPPING OFF GOOOD PEOPLE!!!

• Ji
      1st of Feb, 2010

********** Executive Feedback **********
    I have a complaint in regards to your billing services, I feel that TXU made a HUGE mistake that left my family out of our home on 01192010 while I was on a business trip, They disconneted me by mistake - I called in and the operator stated that she had to collect 159.16 as well as an additional fee for Same day reconnect, I paid it all even after explaining that my statement had a due date of 01252010 and late after 01272010, I also explained that i had a payment scheduled to pay 200.00 on 01252009 at your website. Nonetheless, i paid because my husband and children were locked out of our home without power.. I got on my plane and when I arrived in PA, I called my husband it was 830PM and they were still outside, since 1Pm. I called TXU and they assured me someone would be out before MN. No one ever came - when I arrived at my hotel around 11PM I called TXU and they could not tell me why noone had shown up, but did tell me the disconnect was a mistake, she then connected me to the emergency outage department and they stated they never received the order to reconnect at our address, called TXU back and she stated that they had sent the order but it had been rejected. My family was out of luck. She then assured me that they would go out PRIORITY STAT at 0800, and offered me a credit of 100.00 No one came the next day until noon - I clled on 01232010, explained I was cancelling the 200.00 payment previously scheduled to pay on 01252010 and asked about the credit for 100.00 as I did not see it. She could not find it either but read the notes and was turning it in or credit and said my balance was 42.52. Now I get A DISCONNECT notice today!! I called in and they are telling me (MIKE 80490) is now telling me that my balance is 142.52 and not only am i due to be disconnected because my statement was due 01252010 and it does not matter that my WHOLE family was inconvenienced - the bill is as it stands AND that it WILL affect my internal credit with TXU! This is a way for TXU to give credit and then charge it back to me after my children had to stay outside of our home and miss a day of school! This is the worst treatment I have exer received. and feel that TXU has taken advantage of us all over again. This should not be the way you do business.

• Ar
      24th of Feb, 2010

Texas has a screwed up way of distributing power. There is no way to get around ONCOR because they are incharge of the line maintanence. The few retailers provide you with the only choose allowed. Either way, i agree that ONCOR is one of the most unhelpful groups around. They sometime take up to 2 weeks to respond to service requests. Try getting a planner out to a site to discuss power availability, they either take forever to respond or they don't show up.

Stay out of Texas, that's the only way around these issues... Or you could move rural and get power from a coop, it' s gonna cost you a few extra bucks over the year but MAN do they appriciate you business.

• Ag
      9th of Mar, 2010

I have never in my life dealt with a more fraudulent company than TXU. I was ignorant and I guess spoiled coming from the North East where utility companies are regulated and kept in check with the government to make sure they aren't over charging and lying on bills about usage. Here's what I just submitted to the BBB, I doubt it will get me anywhere. But basically my bill went from being $60 to $430 the next month and this was with no one living there half the time!!! We have tried and tried and tried to get TXU to admit they are either lying or made a mistake and they won't budge. Dealing with them for the year and a half I was in Texas was a nightmare, our electricity was going out all the time, they turned it off without warning and would turn it off even when we paid our bills on time and try and charge us a fee to get it turned back on, not to mention that they wouldn't send someone out for another day after they turned it off. And we were being overcharged the whole time we were there. We had bills up to $600 for one month in a one room studio apartment. Oh and we almost never received our bill in the mail. I would have to call them several times before I could get a bill actually sent to me, including my last bill for the apartment I moved out of, I still have not received it even though I've asked them to send it multiple times. I also have never been able to actually view it online because their website conveniently enough doesn't load the current or past bills:

I believe that TXU Energy has provided false meter readings and estimates for account number {woops editing out my account number and former address}.
    I initially contacted the company in the beginning of January 2010 regarding a $430.27 charge for the month of December, because the charges had almost doubled from the previous month and had gone up more than 5 times from the month prior to that. Considering that I was not living in the state and there was only one person living in the apartment part time the reported usage was obviously false. I was told that the meter reading was estimated based on the usage from one year prior. When I mentioned that the previous year we had had an issue with a heating unit which was malfunctioning and over using electricity and that after it had been fixed our electricity bills had been reduced significantly, if they were estimating based on the December of 2008 then the estimation would not be correct because the heating unit not only was now functioning properly but was also not being used the majority of the month because we had already begun moving out of the apartment and were not there for much of the time in the later months of 2009. I was told that the corrections would be made on the next bill when they were able to get a new meter reading.
    I have since contacted TXU again because my bill is still very high, and believe that they still have the incorrect meter reading. The meter reading for the month of December 2009 which was based on an estiamation on January 3, 2010, not an actual reading had not been adjusted by even a single digit, the bill had not gone up or down at all, TXU claims that they estimated the bill for Decemeber 2009 usage down to the very last penny without looking at the meter. Additionally we were told that there was an estimation because on January 3, 2010 the meter was not accessible. This statement is false. There are no fences on the property, the meters are outside of the building, there are no animals living on the property and there were no weather issues on January 3, 2010 according to weather history data. It was stated by the TXU representative that they are allowed to make estimations 3 times per year. Because there was no reason for there to be an estimation at this date it seems highly likely that the estimation was made to maximize TXU's profit rather than bill me, the customer the actual amount of electricity used for December 2010.
    Our situation is certainly not unique, upon researching the company there are countless complaints of this very same issue with other customers and former customers.

• Yo
      9th of Sep, 2010

its just a matter of luck! I know people that they like TXU Energy but its ONLY because of their customer service, and ONCOR, CENTERPOINT ENERGY, TNMP COMPANY, AND MORE, they are the ones who deal with cables and poles and wires.

SIMPLY ITS BAD LUCK AND REVIEW AND MAKE A DIAGNOSIS OF YOUR LIFE AND YOU WILL DISCOVER THAT ITS BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG IN THE PAST, I HAVE BEEN WITH THEM, AND LOOK, NO ISSUES AT ALL.

WHO LIKES TO PAY BILLS?? WHO LIKES THE Racism ??? SPECIALLY IN U.S.A???
    LET GOD BE PART OF YOUR LIFE AND YOU WONT SEE THESE TYPES OF ISSUES NO MORE.

IF YOU ARE THINKING CHANGING FROM TXU ENERGY AS A COMPANY WILL FIX YOUR PROBLEM, WRONG, WRONG WRONG, YOU WILL HAVE EVEN THE SAME PERSON OR TECHNICIANS TO PROVIDE YOU THE ELECTRIC SERVICE.

DONT BE FULLISH OF FOOLS!

DONT BE A Racism PERSON!!! WHAT MAKES THE DIFFENCE BETWEEN YOU AND THE PEOPLE LIKE THEM??
    DO THEY THINK THE SAME WAY YOU THINK?? YOU THINK YOU ARE SMART AND THEY ARE NOT

GET GOD IN YOUR LIFE PLEASE, IF NOT YOU WILL BURN IN HELL

• La
      26th of Jun, 2011

well when I called over my most recent 530.00 txu bill I was told that they never read my meter they guess estimate it due to my dogs gates well newflash I have no dogs no locked gates liars!! And to the above holy roller judger would you be able to pay a 500.00 a monthy txu bill no I didnt think so !! lol crazey sick person I had the same eperience that most of these customer did idiot over sea customer service with no education no answers-- I am a houston attorney and I did record all of my calls made to txu customer service - I would highly recommend to drop txu and switch to ambit they are way more skillful and you get a american educated customer service rep on the phone not a idiot from panama canal without a last name !! Thanks also there is alot of legal action against txu thanks to customer like you and I..