TXU Energy / Lack of customer service

1 Grand Prairie, TX, United States Review updated:

After having had our power disconnected without notice we complied with all of TXU's requests. We spoke to two customer service reps and were given the same information. If we made a payment before 4pm we would be able to have power restored before midnight. Additional fees were never disclosed. We made payment as directed and called at 3:45pm to advise them of the cash pmt. They then proceeded to inform us that for $10 they could put in a work order to have the power turned on but they could not guarantee that it could be done the same day, but for $89 they could do it by midnight and TXU could not afford to absorb the cost. These stipulations were never disclosed by customer service on our first two calls. We were them informed by a supervisor that we had to have the payment post by 2pm to have the power turned back on the same day. We were then transferred to a case manager who told ud the cut off time was 3pm. When I asked to speak to someone in the corporate office to file a complaint I was told that they had no such office and she was the end of the line. We have had MANY issues with TXU, most of them TXU errors without apology. Now that the customer service has moved offshore we will be taking our business elsewhere. If a company is going to screw the public out of so much money they should have the decency to keep the jobs in US where we need them to pay for the outlandish electric bills!

Comments

• Gl
      12th of Sep, 2008

THE LAST BILL I RECEIVED FROM TXU WAS 5/08. I CALLED THE MIDDLE OF JUNE AND ASK FOR A BILL AND WAS TOLD THE ACCOUNT WAS CURRENT? OKAY, MAYBE I OVERPAID?
    IN JULY, I CALLED AGAIN, AND MY DAUGHTER MAID A CALL AND THEY COULDN'T GIVE US AN OUTSTANDING BALANCE?
    I ASK FOR A BILL EVERY TIME! IN JULY I CALLED AGAIN AND NO ONE COULD FIND ANY RECORD OF MY ACCOUNT???? I ASK THEM TO SEND ME A BILL, ONCE AGAIN!
    THIS WEEK, I RECEIVED A CALL FROM NATIONWIDE RECOVERY SAYING MY ACCOUNT HAD BEEN TURNED OVER TO THEM FOR COLLECTION??? I PAID WITH A DEBIT CARD AND ONCE, AGAIN CALLED AND TALKED WITH EBIA. FOR 2 HRS, WHICH I SPENT ON HOLD MOST OF THE TIME, SHE INFORMED ME THAT I OWED $1021.99 AND I TOLD HER I HAD PAID THE COLLECTION AGENCY. SHE ASSURED ME THAT I WOULD RECEIVE THE FINAL BILL I HAD REQUESTED FOR 3 MONTHS, SO I COULD SWITCH SERVICES. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A STATEMENT, AS OF YET AND I DON'T KNOW
    WHY? SHE ALSO ASSURED ME THAT $1021.99 CLEARED UP MY ACCOUNT! I AM SOOOO DISGUESTED WITH YOUR LACK OF COMPLIANCE, SINCE MY CREDIT SCORE IS IN THE 800S AND I HAVE A RECORD OF PAYING MY BILLS!
    NOW, I AM PLEADING WITH YOU TO CHECK THIS OUT...FIND OUT WHY I DIDN'T RECEIVE A BILL FOR 3 MONTHS AND CAN'T GET A FINAL STATEMENT SHOWING THAT MY ACCOUNT IS PAID UP? I WILL BE HAPPY TO TALK WITH ANYONE WHO CAN CLEAR THIS UP !! G. WINCHESTER

• Ry
      2nd of Dec, 2008

Greetings, All!

I am very sorry to hear about your trouble relating to your TXU experiences. Unfortunately, TXU doesn't seem to care about their customers and their issues. They were once a giant monopoly here in Texas, as was Reliant. But since deregulation, you have the power to choose your electric provider.

I work for Stream Energy via Ignite (the marketing arm), a competitor to TXU and Reliant in Texas. Unlike those two companies, Stream Energy does not advertise. They rely on word of mouth referrals from their customers to spread the word about the company. I am a Director with Stream Energy, and I'm here to offer you all a solution to your energy nightmare.

TXU charges in upwards of 13.8 cents to 16 cents for some month to month plans. The kicker is that sometimes they lock you in for a low rate, but when that rate ends, they don't tell you about it and put you on some plan for a ridiculous rate. Reliant is similar. My mother was on a low rate forever, and when she called Reliant, she found out that her contract had ended and they had rate hiked her to over 15 cents per kWh!

Let's assume you're on a Competitor's 12 month fixed rate plan. To be generous, I've calculated an annual electrical expenditure based on a 14.0 cent, 15.0 cent and 16.0 cent plan.

A Competitor

.160 (16.0 cents) x 1000 kWh = $160 x 12 months = $1, 920
    .160 (16.0 cents) x 2000 kWh = $320 x 12 months = $3, 840
    .160 (16.0 cents) x 3000 kWh = $480 x 12 months = $5, 760
    .160 (16.0 cents) x 4000 kWh = $640 x 12 months = $7, 680

Instead of paying those rates, how would you like to pay 12.6 cents per kilowatt hour instead? Let's run the math on this and see what it comes out to be.

Stream Energy Fixed Rate plan @ 12.6 cents (12 months) (Houston might be a cent more per kilowatt hour. I will check on this)
    .126 (12.6 cents) x 1000 kWh = $126 x 12 months = $1, 512.00
    .126 (12.6 cents) x 2000 kWh = $252 x 12 months = $3, 024.00
    .126 (12.6 cents) x 3000 kWh = $378 x 12 months = $4, 536.00
    .126 (12.6 cents) x 4000 kWh = $504 x 12 months = $6, 048.00

As you can see, the saving are huge in comparison. You should not be forced to pay a higher rate for your electricity to fund your electric company's advertising costs.

If you are interested in saving money with Stream Energy, please visit the following website to Enroll for Service with Stream Energy. Http://hadley.igniteinc.biz/

My name is Ryan Hadley, and when you sign up for service, I will be personally responsible for monitoring your service plan. If your rate is about to expire, I have tools that let me know when it will expire, and when that time comes, you will be made aware of the new rate after your 12 month fixed rate is completed. It is my honor to service and support you.

If you have any questions or comments, please, do not hesitate to call me or email me regarding your electric service. I am here to help!

Kindest Personal Regards,

Ryan Hadley
    972.979.3531
    electric.guy.ignite@gmail.com

• Te
      13th of May, 2011

TXU has been an absolute nightmare to deal with! We had the same problem as CVresendez; when the power at my late father's empty house was shut off unexpectedly, we got hit with exorbitant undisclosed charges for turning it back on, and TXU even charged a new deposit by claiming the only way for my brother out-of-state to arrange payment was for a new account holder to be set up (at additional expense) since my father had died and could no longer pay the bills himself!?! In the two years that the house sat empty, the bills varied widely, although nobody lived there-- the kicker was that the bills went from double digits to triple digits in the final months, after there were no furnishings and no appliances of any kind left in the empty house. Despite repeated complaints and questioning by us, TXU could offer no explanation for the horrific final bills, then offered us a $50 "shut up and go away" account credit-- which they NEVER posted to the account, referring our account to collections for $50 after service was terminated!!! T XU made our grief over the loss of our parent even worse, through their horrendous lack of ethics and service. Somebody should launch a class action lawsuit against TXU for fraudulent practices!!!

• Mi
      26th of Jul, 2012

After a high pressure door to door salesman repeatedly came to my house, I agreed to switch to TXU as my electricity provider. After locking in a 12 month contract with a penalty for early cancellation, I realized the salesman misrepresented several things to me, including the amount of my rebate and the cost to cancel with my old provider. Basically, it cost me money to change to TXU. When I complained and provided proof of the misrepresentations, TXU told me "too bad".

A year later my contract has expired and I went online with TXU and selected a new plan for a slightly lower rate. One day later, after locking me in, I receive a letter from TXU that says "thanks for selecting our new plan. By the way, since you have been late at least once in the past 12 months we need a $400 deposit". If I had just chosen to go month-to-month and not selected a cheaper plan I would not have been charged a deposit. I called TXU and the representative said "I can waive that. That was just charged because you did that online". Hey guess what - she was wrong and she didn't waive the deposit. When I complained to TXU I was again told, just like last year, that their employee was wrong and I was stuck with the charge. And, once you pay a deposit, they will keep the money for 12 months. If you are late EVEN ONCE during that 12 months they will extend the deposit time for another 12 months. In essence, never be late, even a day, or your deposit will be theirs for another year. Yet you also pay a late fee each time. Plus “Jay” (employee id 17378) responded to my complaint about the new deposit by rudely asking me “Do you EVEN read the notices you receive??”

So basically I have chosen TXU twice, and both times it’s ended up COSTING me money. TXU's customer service is non-existent and they can apparently make promises to you that they will not back up. Even though I have their door-to-door salesman’s promises in writing, and even though the promises their employee made to me were on a recorded call, TXU’s response is “oh they were wrong”. I cannot believe I signed up for another 12 months. This will be the last time.