TWX Magazine / free subscription - unfamiliar credit card charge

NY, United States Review updated:

I just spoke with a rep at TWX Magazine (I used the 800 number found here) who explained to me the nature of the unfamiliar pending charge that I had noticed on my credit card today. This is very interesting: I subscribed to MATCH.com and got a promotional free subscription to Rolling Stone Magazine which they coordinate and offer to active credit card holders only. I was told the pending charge should disappear by tomorrow and I would not be charged, as stated in the promotion. The reason they place that allegedly temporary pending charge is to confirm I am indeed a credit card holder, that is that the card is active. The charge was $2.01 and I will update my post if it's not gone by tomorrow.

Jo

Comments

• He
      Sep 01, 2008
    TWX Magazine - Unauthorized Bank Withdraw
    TWX

When I checked my bank account I noticed a charge for $2.01 from TWX. I have never given my information or purchased any magazine subscription. I am not sure how they got my information but when I called the number it was automated and they didn't recognize my name. Go figure since I have never signed up for them. Because they didn't recognize my name I was unable to cancel or get my money refunded or even talk to a live person. I had to go through my bank's fraud department to get this stopped.

Sep 11, 2008
    TWX Magazine - Magazine!!!
    225 High Ridge Road - East Building
    Stamford
    Connecticut
    Phone: Phone: 800-927-9651
    twxmagazine.com

This company is nothing but a huge scam...They tried to say that i ordered a magazine two years ago and never canceled, but i was never charged anything until now Sept 11th, 2017. Two years later, so i had to cancel my credit card number because of this stupid ###ing company!!! This company should be shut down now!

Sep 24, 2008

Just like Heather...in checking my account, I also have had a completely unauthorized amount of $18.00 taken from there by TWX. Tried to contact them, only got an automated system, which of course didn't recognize my shipment, my address or anything...surprise, surprise since I've never even heard of these crooks!! Because of that, I was never able to even speak to a live person, so couldn't cancel or get reimbursed! I contacted my bank, now disputing the charge, and was told that they were totally familiar with these people who do fraudulant charges like this all the time! From here on out, my card is safe because they will now be blocked, but what about all of the other people that they will continue to do this to? How can they get away with this ###?!!! I'm furious!! Not done looking into this!!!

• De
      Sep 25, 2008

OH be so thankful you didnt get my surprise as I just checked my account... and find that TWX has charged me a total of 178 USD for magazines I have no memory of ordering. Worse part... I live in another country and even if they sent the magazines to my permanant address...I wouldn't know they were there. My mom must be having fun reading my magazines that I never ordered and havne't ever read myself!! What to do???

Sep 27, 2008

Well, as I was not charged as much as you were. I literally just had my credit card numbers all changed b/c of this ### company. I have never actually ordered any magazines. The worst part is that even after I got all my credit card numbers changed. I just pulled up my accounts and I found out that they charged me twice. One for 24USD and then again 3 days later for an additional 41USD. I just called them and actually got to speak to a "PERSON"! They are giving me full reimbersement and cancelling me out of their system. Instead of going through their automated system just wait until they transfer you. Just have patience and you'll get them off your back. It literally took me less than five minutes. If you don't get to talk to someone. They'll never stop charging you. Hope I could help and Good Luck keeping these CROOKS out of your accounts...

• Ke
      Sep 28, 2008

I want to cancel my subscription. I do not want these magazines.

Oct 02, 2008
    TWX Magazine - Was chrgd w/o being member
    5160 Silver Thistle Lane
    Saint Cloud
    Florida
    Phone: 4074334199

I never even heard about this magazine. Somehow I have a charge this month for the amount of $22.00, who are these people that they can just go into your account and charge for things that you have never ordered!!!
    Please advise how can I go about cancelling these charges from my account.

• Na
      Oct 08, 2008
    TWX Magazine - taking money out of my account
    Newark
    Ohio

Two years in a row now, a charge has shown up on my bank statement, that I know I didn't approve. At first, because it said TMX Magazine, I figured maybe we had ordered a subscription from one of the neighborhood kids. This last time, sent me over the edge. I went to check my online statement and there is a charge on my account for 39.95 for TWX. Now I know damn well I did not authorize that payment.
    After reading what a couple other people have posted in dawned on me that we had been at best buy and the said something about free magazines.. That was a really long time ago... Plus, we are not getting any magazines from theese people!!

• Ih
      Dec 18, 2008
    TWX Magazine - Rip Off
    TWX Magazine

I ordered something from Delia's online store, and at check-out there was an offer for 3 free trial magazine subscriptions for 3 months. So I decided to try it, and 3 days later I check my online bill statement and have a charge for $2.01 from TWX Magazine. First I call Delia's, which has horrible customer service as their listed customer service number does not even work, and they give me the number for TWX Magazine. The number they gave me does not even exist! So I came here and tried the different numbers posted and finally got through to them. I told them to take off the $2.01 charge and to completely cancel my subscriptions. They said they only do a pending transaction of $2.01 to make sure the account works. This transaction (the woman at TWX said the $2.01 would not be taken from my account) was not even authorized! I didn't give TWX the permission to use my credit card. Now I am going to have to close my bank account and open a new one at a different bank. ### YOU TWX! But thanks to all of you who warned everyone about TWX and other charges they have made to your account.

Dec 25, 2008

I was checking my account to be sure I had enough to subscribe to Blue Mountain e cards so I could send out cards to friends for Christmas, when I saw a charge that I have no idea how this was done. This is who charged me: TWX*ENTERTAINMENT WKLY
    800-828-6882 NY. I have not been offered any subscription. Nor have I received any magazines. I have not called anyone yet, as it is Christmas Eve. Great way to start Christmas though. At 1:32 am. No more Best Buy for me, even though I didn't buy anything there. At least not this year. And time warner? If I know it's a time warner product, unless I have NO choice, I want nothing to do with it. I hope I'm not held up to long on this. And I'll be looking for the class action suit.

• Ak
      Mar 29, 2009

i think they have a website called magcustomerservice.com, or i dialed 800-927-9651, and dealt with an automated service for about 20 minutes until i was forwarded to a receptionist with an attitude. I guess i had subscribed to a magazine with was fully intended, and this business had an ad at the end advertising 3 free issues of a bunch of different magazines and you could pick 3 or something like that. I picked a couple, and got all of one of them, and didnt see any from the other one. I called and asked the woman why i was charged $17 for the first one, and $36 for the other?? She asked me if i unsubscribed. I asked her, why would i have to, its just 3 free copies? and why would i be charged in the first place? She refunded my money and asked me if i wanted to receive 3 free copies of another magazine. I wish i could've jumped through the phone and punched her.

its these types of ads that get people in trouble. please please please beware!!!

• Ki
      May 18, 2009

I've apparently have gotten ripped off by Best Buy also. I just noticed today. I noticed a charge when I checked my bank account online. It had this charge of over $44.

TWX*ENT WKLY/BESTBUY

I used to like Best Buy. Now I see things differently. I never even got a magazine, but I never would want an entertainment magazine anyway. I'm just not into those kinds of things.

• Go
      Jun 13, 2009
    TWX Magazine - UNATHORIZED CHARGED TO CREDIT CARD
    TWX MAGAZINE
    Arizona

THIS IS THE NUMBER YOU WANT TO CALL TO CANCEL 1-800-586-2710.THIS PEOPLE TOOK MONEY OUT OF MY ACCOUNT AND DIDNT WANT TO REFUND IT, IT'S ONLY $2.01 BUT WHY WOULD I GIVE THIS PEOPLE MY MONEY. AT FIRST I TRY TO GET A HOLD OF THEM AND IT WAS A PAIN IN THE A** IT WAS JUST A STUPID MACHINE. BUT I READ SOMEONE ELSES COMPLIANT AND I GOT THIS NUMBER AND U CAN ACTUALLY SPEAK TO SOMEONE IT TAKES A LITTLE TIME FOR THEM TO ANSWER BUT YOU'LL SPEAK TO A REP. ONCE AGAIN THE NUMBER IS 1-800-586-2710

• Am
      Jun 16, 2009

They did the same thing to me and then they took 12.50 out of my account and I dont even have an account with them, how can I get a rufund without giving them my new credit card number? I cancelled the card that they were taking money out of because they did it 5 times before I noticed, please email me with an answer, [protected]@hotmail.com

Aug 01, 2009
    TWX Magazine - Really not that bad...
    Twx magazine

Wow.. This company really is NOT that bad. I got a 90 day free trial from an fye store. The terms and conditions were right on the receipt (which responsible people actually read), I got them free for three months, and then I got a postcard in the mail letting me know I was going to be charged with the full price and the # to call, so I called and they hooked me up with 16 issues for like 6$, and they told me over the phone I'd be charged agian after that was over, so I called back a few days later and they set it up so it would never charge me again, no problem... I mean, honestly, most of the complaining I'm seeing is because people got charged.. how naive do you have to be to think that a for-profit company is just going to keep giving you stuff for free?

• Or
      Aug 25, 2009

I too was ripped off by TWX magazine. Checked my account balance to see that I am $149.00 in the hole. There is a number you can call. It is1-800-586-2710. This number will connect you with a person instead of a machine. That is whats wrong with this country. Machines are taking over the phone lines. Press 1 for english and so on. I called TWX and they said they would refund me within 72 hours of this day 8/25/2017. If this don't happen I will be contacting the BBB and anyone else I can take this matter to. TWX we are tired of your ripoff service . They also told me that they send out a psot card letting you know that you are fixing to be billed. That is hog wash. Will see what happens if I get a refund.

• Al
      Sep 20, 2009

Finally, an intelligent customer! I work at FYE, and the company doesn't scam people like everyone says. Our VIP program is free for the first 30 days, then you are charged $9.99 a month afterwards. If you don't know that upon signing up, (which can only be done in the store to my knowledge) then it's the fault of the cashier, not the company. I'd suggest you go back to the store and speak with a manager about the cashier. I get so many people that come in to complain about being charged when I remember checking them out and giving them all the information they needed to cancel. In my opinion, most of the people complaining about the VIP program were either misled by a cashier or forgot to cancel and now they're throwing a fit.

• Ka
      Oct 06, 2009
    TWX Magazine - unauthorized debits
    Ohio

I was surprised to see a 22.00 debit being taken out from my checking account by twx. I have never ordered any magazine(s) and they are stealing from me. I have contacted the local police and they are forwarding it to the FBI internet fraud Dept. I suggest you all make police reports and take a copy of this site and show them that they are ripping you off. I have called the 800 number and I always get hung up on before I even get to talk to anyone. Anyone else getting anywhere? Since this was a debit they will not refund money. I stopped my debit card.

• Su
      Oct 13, 2009

Offering (read pressuring) people to buy something at the register is bordering on unscupulous in the first place. Customers are not stupid (it our money that keeps you fed) it is the modern sales person who lack a developed sense of morality. It is immoral (you know what is right and what is wrong) to pressure people to buy products with an automatic debit which is difficult to cancel at the register when they do not have time to assess the offer.

This is company policy developed to pressure the customer and increase comany revenue - I disagree that it is a cashier problem. When the company offers cashiers incentives for selling more they alone are responsible for the cashiers behavior. In the long run the companywill loose customers who will not be back and you will be out of a job due to their short-sighted irresponsible actions.

This magazine reseller is scamming people. I did not agree to this offer and they charged my card for $150. I do not even live in the United States and never recieved one magazine or "postcard". Fortunately, in Europe we can refuse these charges and retrieve the funds.

TimeWarner should also take better care of their reputation by discontinuing their relationship with this reseller.

• Jp
      Nov 10, 2009

I have been dealing with TWX since 2017 when I answered a survey online. At the end of the survey I accepted the free magazine subscriptions. I have always received the postcards informing me of my subscription terms and when the renewals would take place. I have also found myself frustrated with automated phone systems and the difficulty in getting through to a human being. TWX system is difficult to get to a human because it doesn't give you an operator option. However, i have found that by not responding to any prompts and keeping silent forces the system to transfer through to an operator. I have found that although the operator is a sales person and must go through their routine, they will comply with your request if you are clear and adamant(not rude) with them. I have had to have charges put back on my card and I have accepted other offers from them. The important thing is to be a responsible consumer and pay attention to detail. TWX actually offers a pretty decent service at quite reasonable rates.

• Ti
      Dec 13, 2009
    TWX Magazine - automated renewel w/o notification
    TWX
    North Carolina

Ok, I took advantage of the offer to check out some magazines on a trial basis but Nowhere did it say that my subscription would automatically be renewed nor did I receive anything in the mail stating that it would.The automated service took forever but after hitting the pound sign over, over and over I got an agent on the line.She kept trying to get me to renew, which I'm aware is her job, but finally she refunded the charges.You also have to tell the agent to cancel any other magazines you have with them because they won't ask!!!

• Ms
      May 02, 2010

I also just checked my online Bank staement. I have two mag. sup. One of them is for US Weekly which I would never get, and the other one is for Essence mag. It is a nice one but I didn't order either one. How can they do that and how can I cancel and get my money back?

• Do
      Sep 01, 2010
    TWX Magazine - No warning
    New York

Purchased from Stein Mart and was informed that I "won" 3 months of free magazines. I initially said no, but the clerk insisted that there were no strings attached. I would be sent the OPTION to renew if I wanted to - I would not have to cancel. Well now I have a $58.95 charge to my debit card with no authorization from me. Shame on them for not at least contacting me. I might have kept one of the magazines that I really enjoyed, but no way now - at least not from this company. How is it possible to debit from someone's checking account without prior authorization? Their business practices are deceptive, and they should be stopped.

• Ka
      Sep 21, 2010
    TWX Magazine - DEBITING MY BANK ACCOUNT
    McMinnville
    Tennessee

They have debited/credited my account for a magazine subscription that I have cancelled with the magazine itself. The first time I called them and told them that I did not want the magazine(s) renewed. They returned my money but now they have done so again. I do not want any magazines at this time and I did not authorize them to take money from my account. Also, the first time I knew which magazines they were attempting to renew but today they have opted to leave the name of the magazine out of the subject line. I am going to call my bank and see if they can help me. What can I do in the future if they attempt to do this again? Surely this company can be kept from debiting/crediting people's accounts without their express permission.

• Mu
      Nov 30, 2010

Are you ###ed? No prior authorization? When you said yes to the magazines you gave your authorization. And as for them not contacting you? You got a postcard in the mail saying when your card would be charged and where to call to cancel. Also you can easily just call now and they will credit your card back the money. Or did you not think of that? I work at Stein Mart and I can tell you right now that its idiots like you that make my life difficult. You probably wanted the magazines, forgot about them, threw away the postcard when they sent it, and now you feel like an idiot for getting charged and want to complain to make yourself feel better. Get a life and stop making work horrible for me.