Two Small Men With Big Hearts / Double billing scam

1 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Re. Two Small Men with Big Hearts Moving

I, and my friends - a couple - moved in August using this company. We moved a week apart into a house that we share in Toronto. Apart from various horrors like turning up late, inexperienced staff, damaging a piano, not being able to fit a third of my friends' goods on the truck, I found out a week ago that the company double-billed all of us for the balance of each of our moving bills. I went to the company's office last week and confronted the accounting person, Julie Blake. After an hour and a half on the phone with MasterCard, TD Bank and MasterCard again I got my money back plus saw what their scam is.

It boils down to a loophole that they are taking advantage of. The moving company has something called a TD Freedom 4 terminal which they use to post all their credit card sales to their TD bank.

The day after my move, they put through the balance owing on my move through their Freedom 4 terminal to TD and ultimately to MasterCard. This is all clearly recorded on their credit card sales printouts for each day. However, the day of the move, one of the men who moved me had me sign a credit card slip for the balance, he then phoned in for an authorisation number. That should have been that and then the credit card slip should be posted the next day as they did. But, I found out that there are two different telephone numbers that can be used to get an authorisation number.

If you have the Freedom 4 terminal you are supposed to use one number that gives you authorisation only. If you use the other number, it will give you authorisation PLUS it puts the request through as a billing. The movers were using the "wrong" number so that a billing would go through in a way that doesn't show up on the regular posting records for the next day. Thus, the company can say to me - which they did - look, there is no record of a second billing...you have to go back to the credit card company and sort it out. Then they have that 35 - to 60 days to hang onto your money until things get "sorted" in a credit card company disput process. Or, some people might not check their account closely and never see the double billing.

My friends got their money back this week. I think that this was only because of our connection as friends and Julie's fear that I realized what they are up to. She is probably hoping that we're off her back!

I did report all of this to MasterCard security. In a previous call to a MasterCard customer service person - Rick - I was told that his department had been noticing a pattern of billing complaints for the last nine months regarding Two Small Men.

Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• Ts
      16th of Sep, 2014

For the record, these locations are no longer being operated by the franchisees who were responsible for these complaints and we have no way of verifying the information but, as far as we have been made aware, all of these complaints have been resolved in the customers favour and we are committed to excellence moving forward.

• Hu
      31st of Jul, 2011

I'v been a mover for the last 5 years and I can tell you that the #1 reason that customers endure 2-3 trips with their move is simple, DISCLOSURE! As a customer you can not lie about how much stuff you have just to get a hard quote! As movers we also know there is such thing as scamming customers! They try and get owners to commit to a price for a so called 3 bedroom house for let's just say $1000 and when we get their there is a 4th room being used as an office and garage packed to the rim and that takes extra time to move! In essence what happens is customers lie and us movers show up un-prepared because of a lie to save a few dollars! Remember you've spent over $50000 to furnish your house, don't be cheap trying to move it! And a little hint for a good move, let your movers know that you will feed and tip the crew!! That will get you 5 star service! Now you know!

6th of Nov, 2009

Oh for god sake, Jon you work for the dam company and are the chief scammer. A ### like you has time to come on this site and lie???? Are you kidding me. You are nothing but a cowardlly bully who would never meet anyone upfront. Tough on the phone, but i know that you are just a pansy!!! Any day you want to meet me in person jon and deal with my move I am willing!!!

TO ALL VIEWERS JON WILLOUGHBY WORKS FOR THIS SHADDY OUTFIT AND GOES ON THIS SITE WITH MANY NAMES PARAISING THE COMPANY. IF IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS AND IS WRITTEN BY ONE OF THE EMPLOYEES!!!

18th of Dec, 2008

Next time use http://www.dollysrelocators.com

I used them when I moved from Vancouver to Edmonton they where great...

I know this is a complaint site it always good to also put the good out there...

5th of Oct, 2008

I heard their management are ex-OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) Officers...geez!

• Mm
      30th of Apr, 2008
    Two Small Men With Big Hearts - loss/damage/missing goods
    two small men with big hearts moving co.
    Oakville
    Ontario
    Canada

if you want "the move from hell", call" two small men with NO hearts" movers. a direct move within the same city and here is a list of things that were "LOST"/MISSING OR BROKEN

antique headboard to which I HAD the full suite.
    2 carpets
    bissel rug cleaner
    3 christmas trees (1 with ornaments)
    glass for dinette suite
    2 casters from bed missing
    bureau cracked
    1 box packed at last minute missing

in addition, it took five hours to move a small 2 bedroom apt with maximum 10 minute travel. (3 guys)

in leiu of compensation, they offer $.10 on the dollar and if the loss is more than X dollars I was advised by letter that the issue would go to court.

• Pe
      14th of Mar, 2008
    Two Small Men With Big Hearts - Breach of contract + unethical behavior.
    Two Small Men with Big Hearts
    Vancouver
    British Columbia
    Canada
    Phone: (604) 266-1390
    www.twosmallmen.com

My son, his wife, son and dog were given a FIRM quote to move all of their belongings from Vancouver to Price George. The crew arrived, but said they would not do the move for the quoted price of $24oo - wanted $3000 or more, and before then drove off. The manager of the company, said his estimator made a mistake, but wouldn't stand by the quote. When I called, all he could say, is "sue me if you wish". This is unconscionable business practice.

I would suggest that no one ever deal with these folks again, at least in this part of their territory. Be wary of people who have no ethics or are willing to stand behind their contracts.