Two Small Men With Big Hearts Moving / Lost property and unreturned phone calls

This national moving company "lost" my tv set and antique rocking chair in the move from Winnipeg to Toronto. I spent the next 9 months submitting claims and making follow-up phone calls to three different regional offices with each refusing to take responsibility. The Toronto Office was rude, the Red Deer Office was courteous but stated this was not their problem even though the Toronto Office insisted it was, and the Winnipeg office in my last call to them stated there was likely nothing they could do as the time limit for making claims had passed (even though my claim was made before the deadline). The gentleman in Winnipeg stated that if he couldn't sort things out, he'd send me a tv for Christmas. I never heard from the company again. This is the same gentleman who sold me the insurance on my property which I susequently found out was a pittance compared to the replacement cost of the lost items - a fact he failed to mention and that I was unable to glean from my reading of the contract prior to signing it. I know, that part is my fault for being gullible. But would somebody explain how these guys are still in business?

Va

Comments

• Va
      30th of Oct, 2006

I had also booked this company to come over and move my one bedroom and den apartment for May 2004. I had already taken the pains to move all small items to my new house that was situated 5 minutes away so the movers only had boxes and furniture to move. I was quoted $95/hr for two men and a truck. Everything had been organized for what I thought would be an easy quick move. The movers showed up at 10.15 am and 6 hours later at 4 pm the move was complete.

Amazing considering it was a one bedroom and den, distance was 8 street blocks over and 14 avenues up – 5 minutes and I did not even get them to place the furniture/boxes in the proper rooms. I was so frustrated with the length of time that I had them move it right into the living room without questioning them why did it take them almost an hour to go from point A to B. But that wasn’t even my complaint.

A concrete table top that was 3 ft by 2 ft imbedded with copper – commissioned piece was placed haphazardly in the packing where it was placed balancing on something instead of upright and the table broke in several pieces. The piece had already gone through several other moves with no incident – it was a matter of common sense really to pack it properly. I was quoted $300 for replacement value by an artisan.

Anyways the long and short of it Two Small Men with Big Hearts Moving Company refuses to take any responsibility for the damage hiding behind policies and what not which on several occasions I have requested the simple paper work with an actual itemized receipt be supplied only to be met with silence – saying they are in the mail to the eventual ignoring of my requests. I couldn’t bother with this anymore as it had already taken up countless hours of me dealing with the inaction on their part.

My cost of dealing with this unprofessional, unscrupulous and runaround company was more than the $690 bill I paid plus tip to the movers. My time in replacing the broken furniture, trying to deal with Two Small Men with Big Hearts, my frustration in dealing with them can never be recouped. I will not make that mistake twice and I encourage anyone not to make that mistake in the first place. Do yourself the favor and do your research and talk to co-workers and friends. If I would have taken the time to talk to my co-workers I would have found out about all their problems and personal horror stories in dealing with Two Men with Big Hearts and made a better choice in moving companies.

• Da
      11th of Dec, 2007

Oh my god!!! They are the worst crooked outfit I have ever deal with!!! They were 7 days late, promised a credit then overcharged my credit card by $1500 and threatend to damage my furnature if I didn't pay!! The driver was high (yes drugs) when he arrived and swore at me when I said I wanted to call the credit card company to see if what they were doing was legit. Again it Was Tom in surrey, BC. They also damaged some of my furniture too. i put in a claim for it but never heard back. When I call Tom he hangs up the phone and willnot talk to me!!! WTF? ***AVOID***

• Je
      13th of Mar, 2008

Tom is the most CROOKED most DISHONEST so called businessman I have ever dealt with as im sure these people will agree with me. I move across the country and asked for an EXACT price quote, i said I only have 1300$, so tell me what i have to get rid of so i can make it fit my budget...not a penny more please. He says NO PROBLEM it will be exactly what you said you want it to be 1300$ so i go and pay him the 30% deposit of $1300. When it came time to drop off my stuff they were late, made ME call his driver and said it was gonna cost 2300$ now because it weighed more!!!

It's beyond belief how this TOM guy is still doing what he is doing, he LIED and threatened to hold my belongings AFTER we had came to a VERY CLEAR agreement that I would NOT have anymore money to spare for the move!!!

He then got FLUSTERED after my boyfriend talked him through the agreement they had made, Tom realized he was wrong but would NOT admit it and was persistent with saying it weighs more than what he thought so we needed to pay more....if thats the case WHY NOT communicate with your clients who made it clear that it couldnt cost more than what was agreed???

He then lied and said "oh well we will weigh it and see if its the same as what I ESTIMATED"... meaning that he did NOT weigh our things and only is wanting to weigh it now because we were disputing his new "extra weight" charge. Are you not supposed to weigh the stuff before it leaves its origin point?

We ended up paying the extra thousand otherwise he would have kept our belongings!!! Thats how he makes his money he holds your stuff hostage, He's CROOKED.

TOM also known as THOMAS from the SURREY office is DECEITFUL and does business as poorly as he looks.

STAY AWAY from this THIEF and i hope he gets whats coming to him.

18th of Apr, 2008

On June of 2007, my company transferred me from Vancouver BC, to Toronto Ontario. I had several moving companies visit my 6000 square foot home. The salesman from Two Small Men with Big Hearts Moving was by far the most professional. He took a great deal of time to go thru the house to estimate the weight, and the estimated cost of packing. The rate he provided was competitive, and was presented to me in a clear and concise format.

After receiving the quotations from all the other movers, we asked a few of them to visit us again as we had some questions, and concerns, none of the larger companies agreed to visit our home. The representative from Two Small Men with Big Hearts came the next day and spent over two hours with my wife, and myself answering our questions.

As my company had only agreed to a pay a certain amount for the relocation we were going to have to pay approximately $5000.00 of our own money in order to move all our possessions. We were about to pay the money out off our own pocket, when we received a call from the salesman from Two Small Men with Big Hearts. He had taken the insinuative to make some phone calls on our behave, and arranged for a trucking company to move my collection of books, which greatly reduced the cost of our move, and as I found out later greatly reducing his sales commission.

On the day prior to the move, the packing crew arrived to pack our house at 8.00A.M.
    At 9.00 AM the salesman came to our house to see how thing were progessing, he brought breakfast for my family, and the packing crew, he also returned at the end of the day to check up on things and help pack.

The following day a forty foot moving truck was waiting outside our door when we woke up, the crew took a great deal of time to pack and inventory our belongings, once again the salesman attended our residence to assist us. Our goods were scheduled to arrive in 7-14 business days, as we were flying to Toronto and did not know anybody there the salesman suggested some places for us to stay. During the period of time our goods were in transit, he touched base with us several times to update us on the progress of our shipment.

Our good arrived early in ten business days, the crew that unloaded and unpacked our goods did so in a careful, and professional manner. Once again the salesman phoned the following day to see how thing went.

In closing we found Two Small Men with Big Hearts to be very professional and careful in the transport of our goods, and the personnel attention we received was above and beyond our expectations. I would highly recommend them.

• Sl
      24th of Apr, 2008

Jon Willoughby, YOU HAVE SOME NERVE.
    ATTENTION ALL, I have been reading these complaints on this company along side my legal rep, this man works for two small men, I have been dealing with this lier for over a year as a claims manager.
    This is great for my defence, keep up the good work Mr Willoughby as we will be talking soon.

• Pa
      10th of Jun, 2008

I''ve recently used Two Small Men with Big Hearts Moving and had no problems at all. The movers I had hired never showed up. I called Two Small Men With Big Hearts Moving last minute. They arrived when they said they would and moved me quickly. They saved what could have been a disasterous day.

• Al
      4th of Aug, 2008

AVOID TSM MOVING COMPNAY LIFE A PLAGUE! They asked for outright 20% down payment, I trusted them, they promised to pick-up my stuff on July 10, they picked it up on July 11. They promised to deliver my things on July, July 19 came no delivery yet. They promised the delivery is moved to July 21, it never happened they moved it to July 25, then 28, then 31, then Aug 4, then until now (August 4), when I called the dispatcher the delivery date is still uncertain. They're not even a member of Canadian Association of Movers. Don't be deceived by the Consumers Choice rating--TSM Moving is indeed DECEITFUL!

• Aj
      18th of Aug, 2008

Two Small Men with Big Hearts is a terrible mover. Only engage them if you want your movers to show up late, wrap your furniture poorly, drag your furniture on hardwood floors and then not reimburse for the damage, and use profanity when you call to get an explanation.

20th of Aug, 2008

ATTENTION ALL WHO READS THIS JON WILLOUGHBY IS THE SCAMMER WHO WORKS FOR TWO SMALL MEN WITH BIG HEARTS. HE IS A LIAR AND A CHEAT... DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING WRITTEN BY HIM. IM SURE HE ALSO HAS A FEW OTHER NAMES HE MIGHT GO BY ON THIS SIGHT. PLEASE READ ABOUT MY MOVE AND YOU WILL KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. IF YOU NEED HIS NUMBER IN SURREY PLEASE EMAIL ME I WILL SEND IT TO YOU. YOU KNOW YOU SHOULDNT BE IN BUSINESS WHEN YOU HAVE TO COME ON THIS SIGHT AND LIE, AS JON IS DOING!!!

• Di
      26th of Feb, 2009

I had a similar problem with the Toronto office when they moved my stuff to Calgary and lost a couch, chair and 4 lamps. So much for their so called tracking system. I got the same run around with complaint forms, insurance that won't cover the cost of the lost items and calls never returned. I got a used old couch and someone else is enjoying my new couch and chair, no wonder there was never a complaint lodged from that end.
    If you value your possessions, DO NOT USE THESE MOVERS because there is no way they are award winning, consumers choice reps for the moving trade. Like others have said, I don't know how they remain in business. STAY AWAY!!

• Qu
      8th of Mar, 2010

I wish I had read all of these comments before I hired TSM Moving Ltd. (Total Service Moving), also known as "Two Small Men With Big Hearts Moving".

TSM Movers Ltd.:
    - Improperly explained and misrepresented their insurance policies before the move began
    - Almost completely destroyed our downstairs stairwell while moving a couch
    - Damaged a number of furniture items
    - Overcharged by several hours (i.e. charged when no work was being done)
    - Movers exhibited unprofessional, unethical behavior
    - Office agreed to accept complaint, but later lied and said I had submitted my complaint too late

Have you seen their BBB rap sheet? http://www.bbb.org/calgary/business-reviews/moving-and-storage-companies/tsm-total-service-moving-in-calgary-ab-36439

Avoid at ALL costs!!!

• Ts
      9th of Apr, 2010

This company should be shut down!!! Plain and simple!!! Our belongings were moved from Winnipeg to Toronto over a year ago. ALL items were severely DAMAGED AND BROKEN. No furniture, appliances, interior or exterior items where wrapped or protected. EVERYTHING WAS ABSOLUTELY TRASHED not to mention soiled with dirt when it arrived.

We were told that our items would be in a temperature controlled storage facility. NOT….. Our items sat all winter long outside IN THE MANITOBA ARTIC TEMPS and came off the truck in ON still in a frozen state in May 2009. Didn't even thaw during the 3 day transport!!!

I HAVE TO SAY THEIR SALESMAN, MARIO, WAS NICE DURING THE QUOTING PROCESS. HE STATED THAT THE "BIG MOVING COMPANIES" WOULD NOT "TAKE CARE OF US". OH, THE IRONY!!! MARIO HAS SINCE DEPARTED FROM TSM. ACCORDING TO HIS BROTHER WHO NOW RUNS THE BUSINESS SOLO, MARIO HAS MOVED ON TO BE AN INSURANCE ADJUSTOR (GO FIGURE). OH AND THE BROTHER LEFT BEHIND RUNNING THE TSM SHOW IS UP TO HIS EYEBALLS IN SH... WHILE HE IS GOING THROUGH A DIVORCE (WHICH IS OF NO PARTICULAR INTEREST TO ME). HOWEVER, THESE ARE THE REASON I AM GIVEN FOR THE LACK OF RIGHTFULL COMPENSATION.

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT IT COULD NOT BE ANY WORSE, TSM PUTS ADDITIONAL CHARGES THROUGH ON OUR VISA WHICH IS OVER AND ABOVE THE CONTRACTED PRICE. FURTHERMORE THEY WILL NOT PRODUCE A BILL OF SALE FOR THOSE ADDITIONAL CHARGES. DOES SOMETHING SEEM ODD HERE? No invoice or paper trail but a thousand plus charged against our VISA. We requested the invoice numerous times; however, they can’t find it. A reasonable person would ask….. So why the extra charges without authorization!!! DID SOMEONE SAY FRAUD!!!

LET’S MOVE ON TO THE TSM TEAM... WHERE TO START...

THE TEAM OF PACKERS AND MOVERS ARE ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING AND UNPROFESSIONAL. ONE TSM TEAM MEMBER ACTUALLY MADE THREATS AGAINST US!!! WHILE AT THE SAME TIME USING COLOURFUL LANGUAGE THAT MY CHILD COULD HEAR. LOVELY. I REQUESTED THAT THIS TEAM MEMBER LEAVE OUR PROPERTY.

I HAVE MOVED SEVERAL TIMES ACROSS CANADA WITH THE "BIG COMPANIES" AND THEY WERE ALWAYS EXTREMELY POLITE, PROFESSIONAL AND PROVIDED OUTSTANDING SERVICE. I DID NOT SELECT TSM BASED ON PRICING (AS THERE WAS NO PRICE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TSM AND THE PROFESSIONAL "BIG COMPLANIES"). I SIMPLY WANTED TO KEEP THE BUSINESS WITH A MANITOBA COMPANY TO HELP THE MB ECONOMY.

Of course the TSM owner promises that all will be taken care of. I REQUESTED THAT A CLAIMS ADJUSTOR come to our home to start the claims process on May 1, 2009. NO ADJUSTOR EVER ARRIVED AS TSM MISREPRESENTED THEMSELVES!!! OH GEE, EVEN THOUGH TSM CHARGED US FOR INSURANCE THEY ARE NOT INSURED!! In the owner’s own words “they are not insured - no premiums have been paid as they are in a state of chaos since the breakup of the partnership (two brothers).

Here it is a year later and still no resolution!!!

GUESS IT IS OFF TO COURT!!! OH, DID I FORGET TO MEANTION THAT I HAVE 20 PLUS YEARS IN THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY AND IT IS ABSOLUTELY ILLEGAL TO SELL INSURANCE COVERAGE THAT DOES NOT EXIST. NO DOUBT, TSM WILL HAVE SOME EXPLAINING TO DO TO THE INSURANCE GOVERNING BODY. I HAVE ALL THE TSM PAPERWORK THAT CLEARLY STATES THAT ALL OUR CONTENTS ARE INSURED. DID SOMEONE SAY CLASS ACTION!!!

IF YOU REFER BACK TO MY OPENING REMARKS TSM SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN!!! A CLASS ACTION WILL BE LAUNCHED AGAINST TSM IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY.

SEE YOU IN COURT!!!

• Sk
      10th of May, 2010

I think people that are stupid enough to move with a company that has such a horrible reputation deserve what they get. Its like trying to stick your hand in a boiling pan of oil. Did you think you would not get burned?? Perform your due diligence and if you find a company with tons of scam info like this STAY AWAY!!! I am all about using the local companies to help the economy, but not if it will cost you an un-imaginable price or suffering.

• 2s
      9th of Jun, 2010

We had to sue these guys. They said they "delivered" our computer equipment back to Dell where we were leasing but miraculously Dell never received it. After months of extra lease payments, thousands of dollars in legal fees and finally having to threaten that we were going to have the police charge them with theft, the equipment reappeared and was delivered. They were impossible to reach, disrespectful and are a band of thieves.

• Nu
      23rd of Jul, 2010

Today my mother was moved into her new home by Two Small Men with Big Hearts moving company, which is part of a larger chain. The main man that moved her in was named Bill. My mother is on social assistance so these men were paid in advance from the ministry. They arrived, loaded up...although truck wasnt full left anyways leaving much behind including dressers, stove, clothing and some boxes...keep in mind my mother doesnt own a vehicle so this company was depended on and paid to do a complete move. When they arrived at the new place, my mother couldnt enter the home because the new landlord didnt explain that it needed two keys to enter, so she called and got her spouse to bring the new key which took all of 15 min. In that time, Bill and his staff laughed at my mother and told her they were leaving and began to pack up...at this time my mother panicked, a women on disability in her 50's and ran up the ramp to enter the truck and tell them that no they werent as they were paid to provide a service and she didnt want them stealing her things. She was very fearful that they were stealing from her, I could tell this because she phoned me and was terrified on the phone. These men ended up calling the police on her and lying to them, telling them she wasnt allowing them to do their job. When the police arrived it was the same time the other key arrived so they opened the door. They moved some stuff in and stacked it to the ceiling, with the couch on top ( not how I would move personally) they threw stuff off the back of the truck onto the lawn, including a lazy boy and mattresses while it was POURING rain outside, she found her entertainment stand and coffee table glass in the backyard garden...much of her stuff is ruined and damaged and if she wants any money back she will have to sue them, which she cannot afford to do.

It is disheartening to know that people are being taken advantage of in this way with absolutely NO recourse what so ever. I strongly urge people to NOT use this company, at least in Kamloops...as not only are reviews online terrible to read, our recent experience leaves me feeling nauseated for my mother. This company should be called Two small men with NO hearts moving company because they just take advantage, with staff that are NOT bonded and completely unprofessional...Shame on them!!