Turn Around Business Development Group / Grant Writing Scam

1 KY, United States Review updated:

I am in business with 2 more partners. Turn Around Business Development Group contacted us about writing a grant. We paid the initial amount down ($2000) to write and submit the grant in Oct. of 2009. In March 2010, they contacted us and told us "congratulations, we have been approved for funding" by a grant foundation. To be eligible to receive it, we needed to to perform an impact study and submit results to them ASAP. When given the specific details to be included in the impact study, we were concerned about being able to do so in the time frame aloted. They offered their services for an additional $8, 000. They reassured us we had already been approved for the grant, and the foundation was simply waiting on this required paper work. We paid the $8, 000, and they said to expect funding by first week of April. The time came, and we heard nothing. We called and they said about 2 more weeks. This passed and still nothing. We continued to call, and their answer was consistantly the same and now we were in July. We began to call them weekly, and they finally called us and said, because we weren't "Non-Profit" our chances of funding was only 70%. For an additional $8, 000 they would make us non-profit which would guarantee us the funding in amount of $250, 000. We told them they were liars and wouldn't receive another penny from us. We haven't heard a word since. I have the cancelled checks, but all of their communication was mainly verbal so I have nothing in writing about being approved for funding. My business partners can verify all of the above.

Comments

• Very common scam. They prey on those who need the money most. Same is true with the consulting companies where they have 400 telemarketers for few untrained consultants. ie. Consulting Co. out of Garden Grove, IL When it is to good to be true it isn't. Hope your company can survive. Many do not.

• Je
      Aug 24, 2016
    Turn Around Business Development Group - Grant Writing Scam
    Turn Around Business Develop't Group
    Whitley City
    Kentucky

I am a Senior partner of Superior Support Services, LLC. Turn Around Business Development Group contacted us about writing a grant. We paid the initial amount down ($2000) to write and submit the grant in Oct. of 2009. In March 2010, they contacted us and told us "congratulations, we have been approved for funding" by a grant foundation. To be eligible to receive it, we needed to to perform an impact study and submit results to them ASAP. When given the specific details to be included in the impact study, we were concerned about being able to do so in the time frame aloted. They offered their services for an additional $8, 000. They reassured us we had already been approved for the grant, and the foundation was simply waiting on this required paper work. We paid the $8, 000, and they said to expect funding by first week of April. The time came, and we heard nothing. We called and they said about 2 more weeks. This passed and still nothing. We continued to call, and their answer was consistantly the same and now we were in July. We began to call them weekly, and they finally called us and said, because we weren't "Non-Profit" our chances of funding was only 70%. For an additional $8, 000 they would make us non-profit which would guarantee us the funding in amount of $250, 000. We told them they were liars and wouldn't receive another penny from us. We haven't heard a word since. I have the cancelled checks, but all of their communication was mainly verbal so I have nothing in writing about being approved for funding. My two other business Partners, Phil Dahlstrom (Whitley City, Ky.) and James Burden (Westport, In.) can verify all of the above.

Sincerely Jeff Bryant, 142 Tunnel Ridge Rd, Stearns, Ky. 42647