Tune Up Plus / Terrible company

I recently took my vehicle in for a 'tune up' because I felt my spark plugs needed changing. Manager called back with a laundry list of things 'wrong'. My car has less then 50k miles on it. One issue they informed me about, particularly bothered me, and that was that they said my 'transmission fluid was very dirty'. I felt this was almost impossible since I had it changed less then two years ago, and less then 15k miles ago. Additionally, they refused to warranty the 'tune up' unless I replaced a coil pack. Suspicious, I took the car to my Moms trusted family independent mechanic.

Upon checking the transmission fluid, he found that not only was my fluid down a quart, but oil or brake fluid (he could not identify exactly what it was because it was mixed with old transmission fluid) was actually put in the transmission. He was almost positive it was done recently, and it was not likely my transmission would have survived almost two years with that junk going through it for it to have been the last place it was serviced to have been the culprit.

Tune Up Plus falsely 'dirtied' my transmission fluid to coerce me in to a $90 service, wrote up a ticket to absolve them from any 'responsibility' by 'warning me of the problem', and then banked on my transmission going within a short period of time for additional business. The manager even went so far as to brag how many cars on his lot needed new transmissions. On top of that, the mechanic stated that there was no reason the coil pack should have been changed unless I was having ignition problems. A useless repair I was forced to make to have the tune up warrantied.

Ni

Comments

Ja
  22nd of Mar, 2010

i cant belive you would even put something like this on the net! yes your transmission fluid can get VERY dirty in 15, 000 miles! mine does in 10, 000 miles! its alot of stop and go traffic and weather change in va and for you to think a shop would add something to your car is unreal! i looked into it and tune up plus does not even do transmission repairs only fluid and filter changes so WHY would they do that? and why would you belive the 2nd shop over the 1st? i went out to eat and my steak wasnt cooked right should i say the owner or whole business is bad because of the cook if i thought he did something wrong? you need to learn how to check your own fluids as my 14 year old son does and i bet they offered you to come up and see it yourself huh? ya most shops do! its people like you who want to bad mouth a whole business because your not happy with 1 guy that makes me sick! do us all a favor and go away!

Pt
  6th of Apr, 2010

I worked for tune up plus they want 150.00 per car and to beat last years sales, they mark there parts up 5 times the cost and pad the labor, , half the time they charge you for parts they don't replace or say there top of the line parts and there not they buy there parts form advance or auto zone and say it came from there ware house, , ive even seen them paint peoples parts and say its new, I HAVE seen all this with my own eyes and the owners don't care that they do that kinda stuff hell some times when they do oil changes they just clean off your oil filter and also they will use cheap oil and say its the best, , STAY AWAY FROM TUNE UP PLUS! all of them!!

Tu
  20th of Nov, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. Tune Up Plus is committed to providing quality automotive services and a great customer experience. We invite you to contact us directly on our customer service line at (757) 459-2580 or email us at customerservice@tuneupplus.com to resolve your issue. Thank you.