TRS Home Furnishings / Harassment and unauthorized transaction

1 12493 W IH 10San Antonio, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: 210-561-7792

BEWARE if you are in dire need or just want to buy new furniture. TRS Furnishings is actually a collection agency as described by the Better Business Bureau! Sometimes people want to buy something new because their credit is not up to par. I was given the option to pay a "90 day same as cash". I bought a sofa and loveseat and was told that one item would be credited as such with the overage I was paying (aside from the payment). The manager at that time was Hugo. Hugo would never give me an itemized statement; I had to go to the store and demand it. After speaking to him a while, he threw it in the trash can. As I walked out the doors, I returned and asked him for that print-out. Hugo said I would not understand it if I tried. Everytime I asked for my balance, Hugo said he did not know because of the way the computer's info was organized (or should I say disorganized). The furniture sale was a little over $2000 to include taxes. I was left with a $700 balance and I decided I could not make the 90 day same as cash deal. Hugo said he never told me it would be applied to one of the items. That was in about February this year. My balance to this date is $1400.00. This is after $750.00+ in payments. Someone took it upon themselves to run my credit card, so I was left owing the bank $75.00 for three returned checks. Hugo said he would credit my account and would send me a letter. Low (very low) and behold, Hugo no longer works there and neither does the girl who ran my card. The new manager (John) called and gave me credit for the month of July which I did not pay. He said to pay my August payment. When I asked what my balance was at that point, he said it was $1400.00. Wow!

Read everything that you sign! $2, 000+ on furniture plus rental fees and what they call "report your good credit to the credit bureau" fees apply each month, making your grand total after a 2 year agreement $6, 000 +.

Now the new manager JOHN is harassing me. After a conversation with him on the phone I hung up on him. No sense in arguing about the same thing over and over. John said that the constable was going to pick up my furniture after they turn my account over to their attorneys. It is my understanding that a collection agency is not to make threats like this until it actually goes to court and the judge listens to both sides of the story.

I need to see if anyone has had this type of problem with this company and how you handled it. It is awful that companies such as these can prey on people who have credit problems. Not all of us are deadbeats! Some of us go through bad divorces that leave one in a not so good situation financially. At this point, I am afraid to make a payment for fear that they will take money out of my bank; Money that is waiting to be cashed for utility bills or house payment.

Di

Comments

Me
  19th of Sep, 2008

I totally agree! I have gone through a nightmare of an experience with TRS. They have been reported to the better business beaureu. It's a scam. THey have illegally charged my card without my consent when I mail them the payment. SO I double pay and I have told them time and time again not to charge my card. THis has caused me hundreds of dollars in bank charges. Plus my balance always changes depending on who I speak to. Apparently the workers don't communicate with eachother or do whatever they want. They agree to one thing and number over the phone andyou call again and it has changed I think they charge interest per second! IT's a mess. A scam and they should not be in business.

Sa
  23rd of Oct, 2008

TRS IS A BIG SCAM. MY HUSBAND AND I PURCHASED SOFA, LOVESEAT, CHAIR, OTTOMAN AND 3 TABLES THROUGH TRS AT ASHLEY'S FURNITURE LAST OCTOBER. THE BALANCE AT THAT TIME WAS $2300.00. THE MONTHLY PAYMENTS STARTED OUT AS $340.00/MONTH BUT SOMEHOW INCREASED TO $368.00/MONTH. WE WERE NEVER ABLE TO GET A BALANCE OVER THE PHONE. THEY ALWAYS TOLD US WE HAD TO COME IN TO GET THE BALANCE OWED. THE PAYMENT WAS DUE ON THE 6TH AND THEY WOULD START CALLING ON THE 6TH IF WE HADN'T PAID AND CALL EVERYDAY UNTIL WE DID PAY AND ADD $5.00 PER DAY TO THE NORMAL PAYMENT. THEY WERE THE RUDESS PEOPLE I HAVE EVER SPOKEN WITH. MY HUSBAND PASSED AWAY IN SEPTEMBER. THIS WAS ONE OF THE BILLS HE PAID AND I WAS OUT OF THE LOOP AS TO THE STATUS OF IT. WELL THEY STATRED CALLING ME ON THE 6TH OF SEPT. FOUR DAYS AFTER MY HUSBAND PASSED .I TOLD THEM THE SITUATION AND THAT I WOULD HAVE TO GET BACK WITH THEM. THEY CONTINUED TO CALL ME, EXPRESSED NO CONDOLENCES, COMPASSION OR UNDERSTANDING. I TOLD THEM THAT I WOULD BE PAYING THE BALANCE OFF AND ASKED FOR THE PAYOFF. WELL NEEDLESS TO SAY THE PAYOFF BALANCE CHANGED FROM WHAT WAS ON THE LEASE PAY OFF SHEETS, WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN AROUND$1500.00 TO $1751 AS OF 10/11, THEN BY THE TIME I GOT THE CASHIER'S CHECK ON 10/18 IT WAS $1880.
00. I WAS SPEAKING TO BERNARD WHO AFTER REPEATED PRESSING WOULD NOT OR COULD NOT CLEARLY EXPLAIN WHY THE DIFFERENCE IN THE FIGURES. HE KEPT TELLING ME THAT IT WAS "TAXES". WHEN I ASKED WHAT TAXES, HE STATED SALES AND PROPERTY TAXES. I TOLD HIM THAT IT THAT WAS A BUNCH OF BULL AND THAT THE CONTRACT WAS FRAUDULENT AND AS SUCH UNINFORCEABLE. THAT IF I CHOSE TO CHALLENGE IT IN COURT IT WOULDN'T HOLD UP. HE STATED THAT IT WAS A FEDERAL CONTRACT TO WHICH I REALLY HOWLED. I TOLD HIM THAT THAT TOO WAS BULL AND HE MUST REALLY THINK I'M STUPID. I TOLD HIM THAT I WAS GONNA PAY THE CRAP OFF BECAUSE I COULD AFFORD TO BUT THEY HAVE NOT HEARD THE LAST OF ME. I TOLD HIM THAT HE SHOULD START TRYING TO FIND A REAL JOB BECAUSE I PLAN TO DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO SEE THAT TRS BITES THE BIG ONE! TRS IS A FRAUDULENT OPERATION AND NEEDS TO BE BROUGHT DOWN! WE OVER THE LAST YEAR HAD ALREADY PAID MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL PRICE FOR THE FURNITURE $2300.00. DO THE MATH $368.00 FROM NOV '07- SEPT '08. THEN STILL HAVE A PAY OFF OF $1880.00. THATS WORST THAN A RIP OFF THATS DAMN RIDICULOUS!!!

Em
  23rd of Nov, 2008

If you work the program correctly, and it was explained properly to you, this is an absolutly great way to build your credit. Yes, you may pay some interest but it is worth it in the end if you pay within the first three months. I am an employee and if my company allowed me to use this program, I would!!! I think a lot of the confusion is with the contracts in themselves and the possible employees who are not explaining them correctly. It's a great program, ask to speak with the Lease Manager, this is the person who will have the best knowledge and can help you make the best financial decision for you and your family!! :) With much love, TRS.

Sh
  29th of Nov, 2008

We used TRS and had a terrible experience. We signed the lease agreement at the beginning of March and did not get our furinture until May. Our payment were due on the 8th of every month. We were a few days late a time or two but not many. They started calling us on the 1st for our payment and we could not figure out why. They said that we were late that our payments were due on the 1st of the month. They said that we changed it over the phone. Why would we do that?We asked to hear the recording they said that they had and we have not heard it yet. We had paid the original amount of the furniture off and now we were just paying interest. The furniture was around $2000.00 and if we paid the amount of time on the contract it would be around 5800.00. The girl Alicia called us liars and said we were the worst cutomers they had and they train their people to be on time with their payments. I guess with their mob like tactics. I agree that it could be a good program if it were run right.They deducted money from our account, unauthorized, we never signed an agreement for that, and there is nothing in writing saying we changed our payment date, which would have been stupid on our part. They saw the furniture was actually paid for and saw the chance to take it back and make more. By changing our due date to the first that put us being late, we ended up only being about 10 days late and they came and took our furniture and threatned that they would sit in our driveway and wait on us no matter how late we were getting home. We were out of town.

Ra
  17th of Feb, 2009

You Just need to pay your account in full and on time i have bought several items at trs in mesquite tx never had a problem i paid my account in the 90 days no other charge you just need to pay attention to what your signing. If your account is not payed on the date ur 90 days is over you basicly didnt pay it off in 90 days thats why its called 90 days same as cash not 91 days same as cash keep records of ur payments be a smart buyer not a ignorant one

Ou
  24th of Mar, 2009

I think Raquel Smith is fortunate in that she was able to pay her furniture off in the 90 day period, however, for some of us, less perfect people, there are unforseen events that take place and make it impossible. I don't think any of the complaints verbalized her are in dispute of paying what they owe. I know it isn't my own. I do however have problems with people who are disrespectful, and totally out of line whenever they deem it necessary to contact you. As for me, one manager changed my due date because my payroll dates were changed, and the very next month, everyone there pretended it never happened. That is not only unethical, but downright dirty. For myself, I am seeking legal assistance. Whenever I ask what the payoff amount is, I am given the original price, which is ridiculous, yet no one is willing to put it in writing. There are such things as consumer rights and I am about to seek mine. I will no longer accept the beligerent behavior, and utter disrespect. I am am woman of 55 and I do not permit disrespect from anyone. I give respect, and I expect it. If you are incapable of reciprocating, perhaps they are in the wrong profession. The up side is, life has a way of visiting the harshness you have shown to others right back to you. I assure you, it won't be so enjoyable on the return trip. I have every intention of paying this account in full, but before I do, I wil request the aid of the BBB, because I no longer trust anyone in this firm.

Ha
  20th of Oct, 2009

Well I used TRS.. put down 1000 on furniture that cost roughly 4000.. I have been paying 350 per month for the past 16 months which is $5600.. and they are still after me for more.. Then they come up to my JOB and harrass me. WOW.. This company is funny.. I just don't get it.. When I ask for my payoff, they say they'll give it to me when I come in. Sounds like some of the stories above. It seems to me like they would be willing to take the $350 for 2 years which would put my total paymen to this company at $8400 and I put 1000 down on the furniture... they make threats.. I went off on the district manager.. RIP off!!!

Tr
  1st of May, 2010

I totally agree, TRS, is wayyyy pass a ripoff! I recently purchased a livingroom set from Room To Go...Sofa, loveseat, 2 end tables, center table, and 2 lamps. Well, the total came to a little over $1150.00. I could not afford to pay for it in cash at that time, however, would have came out better paying it that way. I was introduced to TRS, by the sales associate. When I spoke with a TRS rep, he told me I would have put about $350.00 down and pay about $205.00 a month with agreement of 2 years. At first, I was sort of shocked in regards to the down payment because I have never had to pay that much down on furniture whose stores have REAL IN HOUSE FINANCING! Anyway, after further being explained about program, I became even more shocked that 98% of the monthly payments would be going towards leasing fees and taxes...after a 2 year period...mmm, let's see, that's about $5000. Anyway, I decided to go ahead with the contract (it was actually 3) and get the furniture...because of what I was explained, I could pay off a piece anytime I wanted to and would only have to pay the payoff balance for that piece with sales tax, if the piece was over my monthly payment. And besides, I really wanted the livingroom set...it was on sale. So I paid the down payment. A couple of weeks later, 5 days before my due date, I called to verify the payment process and to get the total payment amount for the piece I was going to pay off. I was told the same thing, by a female manager, pay the payoff balance for that piece with the sales tax...that came to a total of $405.80. Came in and paid that amount...no problems. Ok, couple weeks later, I call to inform them that I may not be able to have the whole amount to pay off another piece/contract (the 2 end tables, center table, and 2 lamps), therefore, I wanted to see how much I would have to pay for just the tables vs. the whole contract. I was then told by a different female, if I pay off this contract, I would have to pay the payoff balance, sales tax, and the lease fee for the other contract (which was the sofa). I was outraged!! She told me that is the way she understood it. I told her that is not what I was told...I was told I would only have to pay the payoff balance and sales tax, which should have came to the previous amount of $405.80. Spoke with the same female manager and she confirmed I would only have to pay the $405.80, if I paid off this particular contract. However, if I only wanted to pay a separate piece off the contract, I would have to pay the payoff balance for that item, sales taxes, and lease fees on other items not being paid off...which was about $350.00. So I decided from that point, it would be better for me to just pay off that contract. Well, low and behold, I get there the day before monthly payment is due and is told I have to pay payoff balance for the contract, sales tax, and about $75.00 (lease fee) for the sofa I was not going to pay off. I was only expecting to pay the $405.80...and now I get slapped in the face with an extra $75.00 charge. I was hot!!! And the funny thing is, all three reps were in TRS center. The guy and manager tried explaining it to me, however, I decided to pay the whole thing off, which was a little over $850.00. No sense in arguing over something that is not going to change. However, what I did not understand is why I now have to pay the lease charge for the item not being paid off when I didn't have to pay this the first time. What I mean is, when I paid the loveseat off, I didn't have to pay lease fees on the sofa and tables/lamps. It really confusing to understand something when you have different people telling you different things. And it's very sad that rooms to go have a financing company like this ripping people off left and right. This is a real disgrace for hardworking people who can't afford to pay for furniture in cash or have great credit and can't get credit card approval. Not everyone is that lucky...doesn't mean that they are not good, decent, hardworking people.

Bi
  7th of Jun, 2010

Went to the Ashley store in San Antonio, Texas. The mattress set that we brought was settng on the floor the sell person don't tell us how high they would be on the bed frame. I was going to refuse at drop but was told due to the EPA laws that we could not return the mattres even though they were still in the box/package and they do NOT fit the frame of the bed. Now I am stuck with them and am not very HAPPY with the quailty of the mattress. Took my mom to Matress Firm and got a set from them, there return policy is 90, but you had to sleep on them for 30 days. My problem now is I can't get a correct payment. I pay extra and made an extra payment and everytime I call I get a different amont, the differance between the two is $116.00. The Assistant Accountant and two other people gave us the less amount and now we call and they give us the higher amount. I will tell all my friends and family not to do business with Ashely's because apparently they don't know what they are doing. We will pay them off and never do business again. I will probably get rid of the mattress I purchase next year due to them not being very comfortable.

Tx
  4th of Oct, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I thank everyone here for reporting this here. My husband and I were going to purchase furniture through them. He didnt want financed, but I did. I've been to another website and it has similar stories to all of the consumers of TRS, here on this site. As for the employees who are commenting I suppose you would say good things about the company. Afterall, that is who delivers your pay check. And it's always easy to see things from 1 side of the femce. So employee's purchase your furniture through them and then right another review. For those who had a decent experience with them, thats great. But each store/employee is different- different attitudes, explanations and understandings. Wish all best of luck.

Ju
  21st of Jan, 2011

Worst experience ever with trs . Cancelled my cc and changed my phone number. Good riddance .. Best luck to anybody forced to use them..

Sh
  26th of Jan, 2011

They did me the EXACT same way. my lease agreement was for 24 months at $166 a month for my laptop. So I just ended up saying [censor] it and paid it off this months the itemized cash statement says I would owe $827 but when I got there they charged me $946 just to pay it off. Mind you I been having it 6 months already I hate this place!!!

Be
  8th of Mar, 2011

TRS in Albuquerque, New Mexico gets their employees from the Dumb Farm and sends them to a special training on how to stalk and harass people. If you decide to use this program and KNOW you will have all the money to pay off your loan in the very near future then go right ahead. But besides that you are getting ripped off. Pay VERY close attention to what is said to you at the time of signing the contract. Remember, "special training, " they are taught to keep certain information from you in order to make you feel comfortable with the contract. until down the line and after months and months of payments, your balance has gone down a hundred dollars. Wow! For a company to ACT like they are there to help those in need of furniture for their home and do not have great credit is down right cruel. there's a special place in hell for these TRS employees...I'm just saying! Best regards.

Se
  18th of Apr, 2011

Now TRS is RAC, which is Rent A Center. I will never purchase anything through this rip off company again. Their fees, interest and so on is too high and you will pay so much more on your furniture or other items. This should be illegal and they need to be out of business. Customers stop buying things using TRS or RAC because the interest is too darn high and they will call you everyday like a rent to own store if by some chance you have to be a few days late. In the real world sometime people have to be late with a payment. They prey on individuals who have low credit scores. I did not know at the time when I used them that my credit score was 675 because I would have used Citi Bank instead. Stay away from RAC/TRS if you want to keep your money.