Tropical Fitness (Fitness First) / Continued Charging of Credit Card

1 3401 Deer Creek Country ClubDeerfield Beach, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: (954) -429-1111

It took them over 2 weeks to have the "only person who handles cancellations" call me...then another 5 days to cancel my membership...they continued to charge it after the cancellation and no one would call me back regarding this - I called 4 times and the same woman who handles cancellations was never in...after filing a complaint with the BBB she called me back, calling the club by a different name and stating that she didnt have me as a member (but apparently still had my credit card to charge me) - I have to cancel my card! Worst service ever and not very cleanly.

Comments

• Ju
      17th of Feb, 2009

I'm going through a similar issue -- so much so that I have been sent a collection letter by Griffin & Associates (of Ft. Lauderdale) to the effect of owing over $600, even through Christina at Tropical said my membership was cancelled w/ no issues (I had surgery and was unable to attend the gym -- and this was after pre-signing up with the promise that they would open within 3 months, and it took them over 8 months before they even called to say they "might" be opening soon).

• Tr
      4th of Feb, 2010

Obviously this is an ongoing issue with this "business". My membership was cancelled in June, with no further charges to my card. Then, out of the blue I was charged four charges on one day totaling over $450.00 with two more pending charges. Of course no one was available at the gym to speak to. However, I was able to sneak a peak at their phone list - if anyone else is experiencing this problem Christina's (the woman who handles the charges) number is 561-667-1924. I have called NON STOP to no avail. I will be calling the BBB to file a complaint on 2/5/10.

• Cf
      24th of Feb, 2010

Chrisine's a piece of work.
    She started double billing me a few months ago.
    The place is a total scam.
    I guess the only way to cancel your membership is to cancel your credit card.
    They can't possibly stay open much longer.

• T1
      3rd of Nov, 2010

I can't believe this place is still able to do business. I had canceled my membership in April, two months went by with out any charges, then in July I was being charged again! I tried calling everyday for a week to get the problem resolved, but they only have 1 person who handles the accounts and she apparently is never in the gym! After much frustration, I finally canceled my credit card. All was quiet and well for another two months and then I started getting emails from a collection company called EFit Financial claiming I owe $98.43 threatening to ruin my credit! I'm back to trying to reach Christina again daily, with no response. I was able to speak to a former employee, and was informed that it is standard for them to go back into their files and charge former members regardless of canceled memberships! Dirty crooks. 11/3/10

• Su
      26th of Feb, 2011

When the first month was due on the membership to this gym, they tried to debit my CHASE account, but because THEIR employee did NOT write down my credit card number and the information was illegible, they decided to exercise their right to "DEFAULT" my account as stated in the contract signed. They made NO courtesy call to try and collect the month that was tried on the card and has NO proof to substantiate their claims. The next month, two days before they debited my account for the $399.25, they were able to collect the fee for that current month. When I brought this to their attention, Kent Lafleur said that according to the contract he has no obligation to call me or have proof that he called me. I have proof that I spoke to them every week for 3 months, and also have proof that I went there twice to try and collect my money back.

• Br
      7th of Apr, 2011

I have the same problem as everybody above, the business department should do something with this place, they really mess up with the member's lives. It's a shame.