[Resolved] Travelzoo / voucher fraud

1 Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:

Travelzoo shouldn't try to be something they aren't. They do no quality control on their offerings or on the people they are associating with. Geordie's Restaurant at the Wrigley Mansion was a complete and utter rip-off through the Travelzoo prepaid voucher program.

The "regular price" of $120 was completely fictitious, made up for the promotion. This was $50 worth of food, total, in a "$120 regular price" fraudulent offer from Travelzoo.

It was, according to the manager, a "Tastings menu"... NO WHERE IN THE VOUCHER PROMOTION DID IT STATE that the offer was for three very tiny "tastings" items. A tiny one or two bite "appetizer", a tiny cup of soup, and an ultra small serving of salmon. This was, at its most, a meal of $25-28 in any restaurant in town. These were "tastings to entice you to come back to our restaurant" according to the manager, but they USED A MADE UP REGULAR RETAIL PRICE OF $120 to base the tip and the tax. We ended up paying over $50 additional, after the coupon!!!

We want a response from a senior management person at Travelzoo. Read the reviews of this restaurant and some of them are now mentioning this Travelzoo ripoff. We will no longer trust Travelzoo. I have over 60 Groupon's currently in my inventory and we use daily deals all the time. BUT WE WILL NEVER TRUST TRAVELZOO AGAIN.

• Resolution statement

• Travelzoo Customer Care's Response, Jun 14, 2012

Customer Service Related Complaints towards deals seen on Travelzoo.com.

Comments

• Ga
      16th of Aug, 2011

Just got burn $89 by Travelzoo. Bought a dinner for 2 at Whistler's Four Seasons. When I called to make my reservation I discovered there was a huge blackout period when the voucher couldn't be used. Hotel Management said Travelzoo were told of this but they didn't pass the information on to the purchasers. After 4 emails and a phone call I was informed I was stuck with the voucher wouldn't trade it or refund it. Definitely a buyer beware situation. I won't conduct any further business with them.

• Ga
      16th of Aug, 2011

Travelzoo rectified my complaint.
    Just thought I'd let people know that my $89 voucher for the Four Seasons Hotel in Whistler has be Refunded. Not sure if this happened because of my reply email from yesterday or from the blogging I did last night, regardless, this morning I received a phone call notifying me a refund was being processed. Good for Travelzoo Inc. for turning a wrong into a right!

• Su
      24th of Oct, 2011

We also got ripped off by that Geordies Wrigley Mansion Travelzoo voucher. We could have had a better meal for much less just about anywhere in the city.. The view from the lounge was beautiful, but dinner was a joke for the supposed $120. Travelzoo must not do any checking on what they promote, but I will never trust them for anything but air travel in the future. BEWARE

• Ad
      1st of Feb, 2012

I went from loving travelzoo deals to absolutely hate them. First I purchased a dinner deal at showcase restaurant, I was totally not impressed with the quality of steak they served (both pieces were totally overcooked). However, I thought it was a one time thing so I just took it in. Then I purchased another deal last december for adesso bistro for $49 (for up to $102 in value). Absolutely horrible! I went, and was offered a "special menu" for travelzoo vouchers, and half of the items on that menu had extra charges, and only 2 people can have the deal, otherwise I had to order more (which I was forced to order something else, but nowhere on it said it couldn't be shared with 3 people). The voucher indicated the deal was for the regular menu. When I order from the regular menu according to what's included with the voucher, I got charged extra for EVERY SINGLE THING ordered. I told the owners this is wrong and I shouldn't be charged something that's included in the deal but they insisted of charging me. I asked the owner to put together a combo that will add up to the value of $102 as indicated on the voucher, but they couldn't do it because most of the stuff only added up to around $75, and they said they charged to low on the menu so they have to charge extra. I had to pay because they were making a scene with bad manners. Very unethical business, will NEVER return. Then I reported this to travelzoo immediately and wanted a refund, all they could say was they are sorry I was not "happy" with my experience, but refused to issue a refund (WTF!?...) and I should resolve this issue with the merchant (the restaurant) myself. I can not believe it. At the end, this so called deal only saved me $26, not $102. I have brought this issue with my bank because I am furious.

• Sh
      8th of Feb, 2013

Here's something I caught reading the 'Official Rules". Completely contradicting. So which is it!!?? Haha...this is crazy! (I copied and pasted portions, see their page for full Official Rules)

(GRAND) PRIZE: Trip destination to be determined by the Sponsor. The potential winner will be informed of the selected location during the notification process. Trip includes round-trip coach airfare for two (2) from winner's nearest major airport, and hotel accommodations to be specified by the Sponsor.
    ARV is $3, 000 USD.

PRIZE CONDITIONS: All travel related expenses for ground transportation to and from home, taxes, gratuities, incidentals, upgrades, insurance, service charges, airport surcharges, departure taxes, hotel, resort or property fees, food & beverage and personal expenses such as telephone/Internet charges, and gift shop purchases are the sole responsibility of prize winner.

Anyway, it still sounds good because of the $3, 000!!!

• Tr
      1st of May, 2013

travelzoo voucher sucks! I have very bad experience about that for a local horse riding deal. The refuse to redeem it!

• Ra
      20th of Nov, 2013

I've bought pretty much hundreds of Groupons, Livingsocials, Spreebirds, and other coupons and there is one thing in common with these companies that TravelZoo DOES NOT have: good customer service, being reasonable depending on the circumstances and an idea of fairness.

I bought a voucher for 2 people to have brunch at a local restaurant and thought it would be something cool to do. Well--it WOULD have been if we were actually able to get reservations to the place. Needless to say, I tried thoroughly and we could NOT.

I called for 3 different Sundays (Sunday Brunch was the deal) and without exaggeration each time I called 7-8 times before either giving up due to constant busy signals or ringing with no pickup--or finally reaching someone (twice only, for the second and third Sundays). Week 1: I called over and over and got busy signal or no answer so I gave up (I called literally 7 times). Week 2 I called SEVERAL TIMES on Friday and Saturday and finally got someone Saturday who told me that they were all booked up for that Sunday, so I passed hoping that week 3 would work better. Then finally, week 3--the last week to use the voucher--I called on WEDNESDAY several times to get answer and was told they were all booked up for that Sunday. I found out a friend had that same voucher and had booked the week 3 Sunday but 2 WEEKS AGO, and asked them to ask if we could be added on to their reservation and they said the restaurant said: 'no since they were all booked up'. I tried calling on Saturday of the last week and after several attempts got someone who said they were all booked up. Then finally Sunday, I couldn't get through after literally calling 10 times! I gave up, being busy with other things to do.

Important note: I also found out my friend went to the restaurant and had to wait for over an hour as they had overbooked. They had like NO tables.

So here's where Travelzoo comes in. I called them and explained everything and especially that the voucher said 'Reservations Required' but, although I tried MANY TIMES, I was NOT able to get a reservation. I told them that this wasn't a fair business practice and that I was sure they had received other calls about this and the person on the phone did NOT dispute that. We went around in circles with the poor lady on the phone constantly having to go back to her 'supervisor' who flat out said--and for no good reason except 'it is company policy'--that they would do nothing about it and just to use the voucher for face value, like this was something that was fair and good. WTH? I told them that was extremely poor business practice and that they are pretty much reneging on their end of a contract since what they promised was essentially impossible to enjoy, and perhaps to escalate this and to change their policy to judge when the fairness of the voucher is in question. The same answer came back every time (something you would expect from a scam company when they've 'got you'), and I felt bad for the person on the phone (seeing as with Travelzoo all they do for you is the 'my supervisor' runaround, allowing you to take out your frustrations on someone who just repeats 'policy') so I let it go for her sake (there's no reason to make someone feel like c*** because the company is basically screwing the consumer and has it built in so their employees get yelled at while they profit).

However, I did tell Travelzoo to file a complaint for me and that I would be taking all action possible to rectify this total unfairness, including telling everyone I know about it. The answer--over and over again--of 'well, you should have called us during the non-expiration time DOESN'T fly, because I was TRYING TO ACTUALLY GO TO THE RESTAURANT DURING THAT TIME.

INSTEAD, how about: 'Hey Travelzoo, why don't you actually screen and make sure that the restaurants you offer and the vouchers you offer ACTUALLY GIVE A FAIR CHANCE TO USE THEM?' or 'Why don't you try some fair business practices and some reasonable thoughts when running your business', instead of just trying to throw it back in the consumer's face?

Honestly, I have seldom had such a bad customer service experience in general, and NEVER EVER with other coupon sites. They get complaints like the one I'm making, they check it out, they try to be reasonable and we work it out. I'M not the one trying to pull a fast one here Travelzoo--YOU ARE. With Travelzoo--they basically say: 'well, you're SCREWED, too bad'.

Nice one Travelzoo; you'll feel THAT one eventually I'm sure.

P.S. I even asked for Travelzoo credit (which I wasn't at all sure I'd be able to use, but just to get a more fair resolution) and they said 'there's nothing we can do'. I said: 'yes there is, you can be reasonable and at least give me credit--you can definitely do that'.