Travelocity.comscam and cheating

I booked 5 tickets to Florida online on Travelocity.com for myself, husband, 2 young children & elderly mother-in-law in January 2007 for a trip in April 2007. I received a confirmation email w/ itinerary and a phone call confirming that I had made the reservation.

I was able to print out my itinerary w/ all of the details for our upcoming trip stating that the cost had been charged to my credit card.

When arriving at the airport the day of the trip (after confirming online the night before) - we found that we had NO RESERVATIONS on JetBlue airlines. While waiting on hold w/ Travelocity, I was able to log into their site @ the airport & view my active itinerary & listen to the automated telephone representative tell me I had a trip leaving in 1 hour! When finally talking to a live person I was informed that my trip was never booked because there was a problem with my credit card (which there was plenty of credit on). I booked the trip in January and was never contacted via phone or email regarding a problem w/ my reservation and nothing was noted on the itineraries or automated systems. (We don't receive this credit card statement at home because it goes to my husband's business & is paid by an employee - so I never checked for the charge since I had emails confirming that it had been charged).

I had to purchase 5 new tickets at full April Vacation prices while at the airport (a difference of $1388) and separate my family on 2 different flights.

Travelocity instructed me to email or fax Consumer Relations with all of my supporting documentation, which I have done 6 times since April and it has been sent via registered letter! NO ONE WILL CONTACT ME! I am only asking for the difference in price - not a total refund.

DO NOT EVER BOOK WITH AN ONLINE TRAVEL AGENCY - FIND THE DEALS AND CONTACT THE AIRLINE DIRECTLY - THEY WILL USUALLY HONOR THE PRICE!

Travelocity has shown extremely poor customer service (really - non-existent customer service)and has lost THIS customer and her family for a lifetime.

Comments

• Sk
      Oct 31, 2007
    Travelocity - Scam and cheating!

Please everyone do themselves a favor and use someone else to book tickets. We were told we could cancel a ticket and get a refund (minus processing fee). Well basically they have yet to do so. We've spoken to multiple people for hours and hours. Its frustrating speaking with Indians who can barely pronounce intelligible English. Their "customer service" is a joke. Different people tell you different stories, and they never follow through as promised.

Do yourselves a favor. Run away from Travelocity!!!

• Mt
      Mar 11, 2008
    Travelocity

I booked a ticket for a flight FLL to YYZ on March 10th. The email confirmation never came thru and everytime I called them they came up with lies. In the end after some 12-13 hrs. they told me that the booking did no happen but I can re-book without assurances that I would not be double charged, which I refused.

In the end my credit card was charged for $32.48 (???) but I never got a ticket.

• Ca
      Apr 14, 2008
    Phone: [protected]

BEWARE - No matter what the price - Travelocity will not refund your money. DO NOT USE THIS FOR BUSINESS.

• Da
      Jun 19, 2008
    www.travelocity.com

Apparently I bought a "package deal" online without it ever saying "Package" anywhere. I'm an ex-military guy going to college, so money is tight and now travelocity has it all... I wanted to cancel the hotel portion completely and now I'm stuck in a place I don't want to be. Thanks for ruining my honeymoon travelocity.

Your the best!

•   Aug 18, 2008

thanks for not reading the cancellation/change policies

• Ka
      May 06, 2009

Travelocity is the Absolute WORST online website. They are NOT flexible at all! and the darn people in India (bless their heart), need to learn to speak better english! I have been on the phone with them for 8 days straight, on a hold of 40 - 1 hour each time. (i'm not even exaggerating!). I understand that due to the swine flu the call volume has been high. But Travelocity were not helpful or accommodating toward its travelers. After arguing with them for 8 full days, they finally decided to make a change on my flight the day before I was suppose to fly into Mexico (flu and all!). Then, to make matters even worse, they tried to charge me a change fee for my flight... after arguing with them yet again, they decided to put me on an 8 hour flight to Cancun, (when I was flying direct 3 hours), and pocketed the $40 difference on airfare! Unbelievable! DO NO USE TRAVELOCITY!! YOU'LL BE SORRY YOU DID!

• Ud
      May 31, 2009

I am with all of you too! My story is way too long for me to post up here but bottom line is that they ripped me off big time. Their PRICE GUARANTEE policy is just posted on their website to pursuade customers to make purchases and they make any excuse in any way they can to avoid granting the difference. PLEASE FORWARD THIS ACKNOWLEDGEMENT TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO NEVER BOOK ANYTHING ON TRAVELOCITY!!!

Jun 18, 2009

Booked flight+hotel+car for an out of town event. Event is canceled the DAY before; these things happen. Call travelocity and they tell me they can only refund about 8% of entire cost of trip. I'm not buying it. Travelocity is not a small company and I'M SURE they can afford to grant their customers a refund, minus a reasonable penalty. Not only am I upset about the cancellation of the evnt but I feel ripped off too. I will not do business with travelocity again."

Jul 15, 2009

The size of Travelocity as a company has no bearing on hotel/airline imposed penalties for cancellation - especially with cancellations within 24 hours of your scheduled reservation. If you would not do business with Travelocity due to this situation, be prepared to sever all ties with any part of the travel industry as that is a fairly common practice to not offer refunds within 24 hours.

Jan 18, 2010
    travelocity.com

I had a problem with my reservation. Six times they told me they had taken care of it, and I would get a refund. This was four months ago! I will not be getting my refund, because I would rather pay the $200.00 then to drag this out any longer. My advice is DO NOT USE TRAVELOSITY!

• Su
      Feb 02, 2010

Judging from my experience, this is how they call their customer service.

- Make sure not to refund, with whatever a reason they can provide.
    - Organize their customers' files to mess up all the cases.
    - Confuse their customer with the information like who's the manager and who's the supervisor.
    - There's no such thing as an individual case. Find a category their customer's mail belongs to, and make the same reponse whatever the occasion.
    - Make their customers get sick of complaining, so as to never use Travelocity again.

Travelocity.com

Travelocity is running a promotion to book "secret hotels".
    If you do and have an emergency, travelocity will not change the dates and will keep the entire payment amount.
    In my case the hotel has received no money and no record of the reservation. Yet despite my pleas, travelocity is keeping the entire hiotel payment for the stay and will not modify the dates.

Jul 27, 2010

Actually believe it or not this is not all that unusual, it has to do with how hotels work. Hotels often sell a block of rooms to "wholesalers" at a deeply discounted rate based on the hotel's history of occupancy during that particular time frame.

If a hotel routinely has say 400 rooms that are usually empty that time of year, they'll take a good portion of them and sell thim in blocks of 25, 50 or even 100 rooms to a "wholesaler". In this instance travelocity is most likely the wholesaler in question.

Travelocity then has a block of rooms they picked up dirt cheap, and they can resell at far less than what a particular hotel would normally charge. It's a good deal for the hotel, they get a bit of money on rooms that would otherwise probably sit empty. It's a good deal for travelocity, since they make a profit provided they can book a few rooms at a discounted rate to cover the expense of buying the entire block, and it's a good deal for most consumers as they can get really nice hotel rooms for a lot cheaper than what the hotel would normally charge.

But like most wholesalers, theirs usually one caveat, that once you agree to the dates in question your locked in and your money will not be refunded. Otherwise the wholesaler could get themselves in trouble pretty quick if they get enough cancellations that they no longer have enough to cover the cost of the block of rooms they bought. It has happened before, and that's why most wholesalers generally have a non-refundable policy in this regard.

It's not a nice thing when you've paid for the hotel and then suddenly something comes up and you can't go, but I don't think you can really blame either the hotel or travelocity here, it's just one of those things that happen.

And for the record, no, I don't work for Travelocity, or a hotel, or any other related business. I just happen to know a bit about how it all works because years and years ago I did work for a hotel chain.

Jul 27, 2010

My reservation is more than three months away and I was merely asking for a slight date change. Your comments do not apply. Travelocity could easily change the dates but would rather grab the money.

Jul 27, 2010

But depending on what dates they purchased a block of rooms for, that might present huge problems for the wholesaler. Which is why most of them have a no refund, no date change policy. The more they have to spend on administration of such things, the more they have to charge on that room block per room, the less of a discount you get and thus the less they make. Nobody ends up happy that way.

Look, I've got no dog in this fight one way or the other, but seriously, unless travelocity never explained the restricitions on these rooms to you, which I highly doubt, then I just don't see that you have much that you can really complain about here that's their fault.

You made the original plans, and while it's maybe not so happy for you that they changed, again, this isn't Travelocity forcing you to cancel your original reservation. That's all you.

One of the reasons that this "secret hotel" thing is so cheap by comparison is because they have those restrictions.. same with getting cheap air fare by booking non-refundable tickets far in advance of the flight. The upside is, cheap tickets. Downside? Well, if you change plans it's all on you, no refund.

Jul 27, 2010

Travelocity has constantly lied to me during the booking process and since. When I received orders to appear in court during my trip period, I contacted them and asked for a slight change in date. They told me they were calling the hotel for their approval and put me on hold for long periods of time, . Each time, they said they couldn't get through to the hotel and to call back. THIS WAS AN OUTRIGHT LIE!! THEY NEVER CALLED THE HOTEL AND WERE JUST MAKING MY LIFE DIFFICULT!! WHEN I PROTESTED, THEY GOT MAD AND CANCELLED MY RESERVATIUON KEEPING MY MONEY!!

I THINK ANYONE WHO USES TRAVELOCITY FOR ANYTHING IS MAKING A HUGE MISTAKE!!!.

And by the away, the airline did change the dates of my nonrefundable air tickets. I was fortunate not to have booked the air travel through travelocity since they would have just kept that money too.

• Gr
      Mar 04, 2011
    Travelocity - Scam and cheating!

I booked two tickets through Travelocity from LA to Acapulco. They put us on Mexicana which ultimately went bankrupt. When I called and emailed Travelocity to get a refund I was told "bad luck, you have to do it yourself with the airline. I BOOKED WITH TRAVELOCITY, TRAVELOCITY TOOK MY MONEY. Now I have to try and get my own refund. Doesn't seem ethical to me??? G Brown, [protected]@yahoo.com

• Vm
      Apr 15, 2011

Google Travelocity and you see: :Travelocity Official Site - Hassle-Free Travel - No More Change or Cancel Fees on Travelocity.
    Check their hotel policy. Fisrt paragraph says: "We know sometimes you have to change your plans, which is why we do not charge any cancel or change fees. We do, however, have to pass along any change or cancel fees that come directly from the hotels or airlines." Looks good, I understand that if the hotel does not charge for changing plans, they won't charge me. BUT ...
    in the middle of the page reads: "No refunds for unused nights, including those resulting from delayed check-in or early check-out, will be given. " and you are screwed!!!
    They used to be good, now their "no customer service" is unreachable, uncooperative and their ad/slogans are deceiving and misleading.
    STAY AWAY!! I've got sticked for $400+

• Do
      Apr 15, 2011

The customer service is unbeliveably horrible. They are like robots, only trained to take your money. I am trying to report a potential scam from a site claiming to be Travelocity, which said it's my last chance to win $3000 worth of travel. After 3 hours on and off the phone, I can't even find someone who can confirm or deny whether the e-mail is genuine, or not. I have finally given up, and now I just want to warn people about this potential "travel prize" scam. I have placed Travelocity on my blocked list, and will no longer book ANYTHING through their site. It's just not worth the risk.

• Tw
      Sep 15, 2011

I booked a trip to Anchorage and asked to leave from Anchorage on 09/10/11. The flight said it would leave the next day at 1:55 AM. When I tried to sign in, it said the flight had already left. I had to pay a reschedule fee and purchase a new ticket. I think someone needs to make this clearer and refund to amount I paid for the first ticket.

• Go
      Sep 16, 2011
    travelocity.com

I have been trying to get a refund for a double-charge from Travelocity since April (it is now August). We have been given the run around time and time again. The ultimate was a representative from Tavelocity stating we would have to pay $150 today and then a credit would be issued in one to two billing cycles. That is a REAL SCAM.

Jan 11, 2012
    Travelocity - Scam and cheating!

Due to an employee that hardly spoke english I was unable to refund $155.55 for a refundable ticket who had ended up lying to me over the phone. Great work Travelocity.

Jan 11, 2012

we have no many connects to ignore
    you response was made to department that uses the coupon
    may rahmadigalish protect you puppies

• Je
      May 29, 2012
    1030 Braemar Court
    High Point
    North Carolina
    Phone: [protected]

Called travelocity to verify travel schedule posted as delayed on the webiste and given wrong information. Told it was on schedule. Then offered to rescedule and never followed through with. Two agent both gave the wrong data to me. Had to travel to t air port only to be told I should have delt with the airline, neve r should eal with thrid party service providers like Travelocity.
    A real waste to call Travelocity for any assistance.

• Ld
      May 27, 2015

Tried to cancel flights to Austin, even purchased the "Travel Protection-Cancellation Plan" for an additional $72.00. Callled Travelocity this morning to cancel my flight for my son & myself to stay home with an ill parent. I was told I would get a airline credit, if I another company, filled out several forms and had a note from my parents doctors proving illness. In addition, I would still be charged a $200.00 per ticket cancellation fee. What is the "Travel Protection Cancellation Plan" for ...what a scam!!! A better business plan for Travelocity would be to accommadate your travelers, why not do the right thing and refund folks that buy your travel protection...what's the worse that can happen ? I'll tell you, if you valued your customers they would become repeat customers & will respect a company that does right by them. Now, I will NEVER EVER book a flight through Travelocity and I will tell everyone I know about the way they conduct business. Run / Click away from this scamming company!

• Re
      Dec 17, 2015

Travelocity unwilling to provide refund for hotel, as hotel room was dirty and hotel wouldn't resolve the issue themselves. Travelocity supervisor sarcastic and disrespectful.