Travelocityflight change charges

Wife and I in Ukraine did online flight change accepting the $300/ticket change fee and some reasonable fare adjustment. Instead billed over $4000!
We had booked 2 adults as a RT flight (UA Conf # GH42YK, Lufthansa PE5Y5J - TO Itinerary # [protected]) from Roanoke, VA to Kiev through Travelocity (TO) for just over $3000. We understood that a flight change would incur a $300/ticket penalty and some possible fare "adjustment".

When we decided to come home 3 days early, we used TO's online service to make the change only to discover that 1) they had converted our RT tickets to separate one-way ones *and* the didn't just change the return flights to a different day, but cancelled the return altogether without refund and rebooked on a different carrier (AirFrance/Delta - TO Itenerary # [protected]) charging us over $4, 000 as a result. We called TO to protest the billing but after talking with a "supervisor" who clearly had no idea of the actual problem and faced with the problem of our VISA credit card not working in Ukraine and rapidly running out of local currency (of course not TO or the airlines' fault), we decided to take the flights as scheduled and dispute the fare charges on return to the US.

Our bank records show the charges were actually levied by Lufthansa on the outbound leg and Delta on the new changed flights.

While I can't wind the clock backwards, I am positive I followed the "Change Flight" procedure on TO's web site and was also sure the penalties were only the $300/ticket and a fare adjustment. The $4, 000+ charges in addition to the RT fare we had already purchased should not have occurred.

Ed