Travel Guard InsuranceWorst company possible

B Review updated:

Travel Guard insurance was included with a travel package I purchased. My flight was delayed causing me to miss a foreign connection until the next day. I filed for compensation with Travel Guard on return from my trip.

Three months later I got a call saying my claim was invalid because the airline was at fault. They said that I could write a letter and include receipts and I may still have a claim. I already had to get documentation from several places including the airline and didn't feel that I needed to jump through more hoops. I think that this is their plan to wear you down and give up. I will never do business with this company again.

Comments

• T
      Jul 01, 2009

This is the type of complaint that looks as if it were written by a competitor. I have been a travel agent for more than 30 years, and the one company known throughout the travel industry for great customer service is Travel Guard. I know for a fact they would not "wait 3 months" to contact a customer. It's great to have sounding boards like this, but it would be nice to get both sides of the story. This one sounds very, very fishy.

• N
      Jul 25, 2009

An anonymous response from an unverifiable "travel agent" saying that this complaint must come from a competitor since Travel Guard is very, very good, as every travel professional knows? Garbage. Read the internet. Independent insurance review sites are filled with complaints about Travel Guard. More likely this response comes from someone associated with Travel Guard...

• V
      Feb 26, 2010

I agree nebti5, it obviously came from someone from Travel Guard, everything they said in there paragraph was exactly the opposite of what I experienced. If I was a travel agent I would be absolutely embarrassed to recommend Travel Guard, they are the worst of the worst, and when a class action suit is brought against them I will be in line, not just to be reimbursed but to stop them from scamming people out of their hard earned money. Travel Guard sucks, don't EVER use them!

• W
      Apr 16, 2010

In November 2009, my wife was scheduled to fly to South Korea to visit a friend. She had purchased a non-refundable round trip ticket. Two days before she was to leave, she became ill and her physician advised her not to travel. She had obtained travel insurance through Travel Guard. We contacted Travel Guard, followed their instructions for filing a claim, provided the requested documentation in regards to receipts and physician certification of the medical condition that resulted in her canceled travel, and sent the whole package off to Travel Guard. Three weeks later, we received a check from Travel Guard that was equal to the entire dollar amount of the receipts we provided - no questions asked. I'm sorry that Beatrice's experience was so unfortunate but we have nothing but praise for the treatment that we received.

Nov 08, 2010

Travel guard sucks... I was on my honeymoon in Spain with my new bride and she had an eptopic pregnancy and her falopian tube had burst. To make a very long story short, she almost died. After 3 days in icu and 2 more in a standard room she was released and told to head straight home for rest and relaxation. The doctor wrote that she needed to lay down the entire trip in first class. She was in constant pain if she tried to just sit up. Travel gaurd said therer doctors 1500 miles away from where we were at looked at the documents and said she would be just fine in coach and refused to put her in first class. After 6 hours of stressful mind numbing phone calls they finally folded after I said I would go back to the doctor and Request for him to say she needed an e-vac flight home. I hate travel guard... I can not state it any clearer than that. 2 Months later they still have me jumpin through countless hoops trying to get re-imbursed on what is owed to us.

Apr 26, 2011

At the beginning of Dec. I booked a flight to Turkey. At the end, before you click agree, a fee for travel insurance was listed. I purchased the insurance because of previous medical problems. Just in case... As it happened a few days later bone spurs in my foot got aggravated and walking was almost impossible. I had been through this before and since cortisone shots did not help, I opted to cancel my trip and file reimbursement. I searched all correspondents (emails ) but no mention was made about how to contact or even find TRAVEL GUARD. Airfare.com would not answer the phone nor was a letter acknowledged or even answered. By mid Dec. I contacted my bank. They got me an immediate credit but that was later revoked. At beginning of March I sent a letter certifieed threatening to take legal actions. That made Airfare.com contact me with a claim number. When I contacted TRAVEL GUARD I was sent a package of materials to complete. Including a release of medical records. Absolutely no rules or regulation requirements were ever disclosed to me. No, there was no fine print. And NO this is not a letter from a competitor, only a disabled person who is on a limited income and who would like a refund for the money I paid for insurance.
    years ago I had to cancel a trip I had booked with Orbitz .. one call and 2 days later the money was back in my account.
    Oh and by the way, when I called TRAVEL GUARD the attitude was incredible. No I am sorry.. Oh no.
    I have contacted the FTC and the California Dept. of Insurance. I find it unsettling that a company can operate and scam people like this. Especially since no information regarding specific coverage was provided.
    Next, Small Claims Court.
    Airfare.com will be included. it was their website through which I was offered and purchased the insurance.
    For everybody thinking about purchasing travel insurance .. stay away from Airfare.com since they don't answer their phones, answer inquiries, and certainly don't check to make sure the people they do business with are honorable.

Apr 26, 2011

I wished I had known the name of the insurance carrier and their reputation before I paid for the trip and the insurance

• J
      May 17, 2012

DID ANY OF YOU THAT COMPLAINED ABOUT TRAVEL GUARD PURCHASE THE EXTRA INSURANCE THAT COVERS CANCEL FOR ANY REASON, PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITIONS AND THE OTHER OPTIONAL COVERAGES?

IF NOT THEN NO TRAVEL INSURANCE WILL PAY OUT. ACESS aMERICA WONT PAY FOR ANYTHING. TYHEY DO NOT COVER ANY OF THE ABOVE. READ THE COMPAINTS AND HORROR STORIES ON THEM. IT IS WORTHLESS TO GET AIRLINE INSURANCE WITH THEM IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL THE RESERVATIONS. I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY WHEN OUR PLANS CHANGED AND WAS OUT THE INSURANCE COVERAGE AND $900 AIRLINE TICKETS.

Jan 22, 2013

NEVER BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE FROM THESE PEOPLE...WE ARE OUT OF $950 FOR A CRUISE BECAUSE THE DOCTOR CANCELLED THE SURGERY AND SENT MY HUSBAND TO THE VA. VA SCHEDULED IT FOR A DATE AND HAD TO CHANGE IT...SHE SAID IT WAS THE DOCTOR'S FAULT...AND THEY WON'T PAY...SO THE "POOR SUCKERS" SUFFER AGAIN. WE HAD A LETTER FROM THE DOCTOR SAYING HE COULD NOT TRAVEL AND THEY DIDN'T SEEM TO CARE. ATTITUDE TOWARDS COMPLAINT IS STRONGLY AGREE...

• F
      Aug 22, 2013

I thought that buying travel insurance that states you are covered for canceling your flight 5 days in advance and within 24 hours of purchasing tickets would suffice for a full refund. But instead I was told that my reason (business) changes was not covered even though they sold the insurance to me stating I was covered for canceling for ANY reason. This company is bunk and so is Frontier airlines for offering this coverage on their website. Here goes the letter writing to the Department of Transportation, and the BBB, and the chamber of comerce, and advertising against this fraudulent Travel Guard company. Liars they are and liars shall have their part in the lake that Burneth with fire!

• J
      Dec 10, 2013

Same thing happened to us with Travel Guard. Even though the airlines (United) first said that it was weather related), and I filed the claim as such, in the United email statement, United said that it was mechanical error. Travel guard then denied the claim. Any kind of insurance is a racket. If you read the policy, there are so many loop holes, you might get lucky and have some meals paid for on your claim. Don't expect them to be on your side. They are NOT. This is true with CSA as well. Bad experiences with them as well. Keep every damn receipt you may have whle on your trip, just in case. Also remeber, that you will more than likely be covered in some way with the airlines, so foregoe that amount when purchasing insurance. Also your credit card may help out with that if used to buy the tickets.
    Remember, while traveling and you experience problems, get stuff in writing, get signitures, statements, bills, etc. Protect yourself for the later hell you will go with these travel insurance companies.

• O
      Dec 15, 2013

I booked online thru YAHOO Travel. Purchased American Airlines tickets. During checkout, travel insurance window pops up offering insurance for WORK RELATED delays. I purchased for $31.94. I am in pipeline OUTDOOR construction and delays do occur. I did not make flight. On next Credit Card bill, located contact phone number.
    IMMEDIATE answer was, "NO, you are not covered." EVEN before I gave my trip ID # and my name. Agent explained that Yahoo Travel markets TRAVEL GUARD INSURANCE which is TRAVELOCITY...and here is the best part... which is AIG!
    Enough said. You can screw me once, but I will go out of my way to SPREAD THE WORD...
    TRAVEL INSURANCE...A I G...a true oxymoron business deal!
    SAVE YOUR MONEY. AVOID< AVOID< AVOID

Mar 25, 2014

I agree. My wife bought airline tickets to South Africa, and purchased Travel Guard insurance to cover any and all cancellations because I had recently suffered a stroke and we were not sure I would be ready to travel. When we had to cancel the Travel Guard agent told us to go ahead since we have the insurance. My wife cancelled. A week later another agent called us back to say the claim was invalid because the policy was paid for one day after we paid for the tickets, and not on the same day. So the Travel Guard agent didn't tell us to postpone our flights for another year, she just told us to cancel, while she had the policy open on her computer. So now we are paying off $7000 for a flight we couldn't take. These agents are incentivized to 'not pay.' Believe. This company is trash.

• S
      Jun 11, 2014

Having gone thru a claim with Travel Guard, I found them to be a rip off and dishonest. When I purchased my travel with the cancellation insurance the agent did not provide full details as to what is covered or not and what the conditions of coverage are. All they told me is that the insurance is good for ANY medical reason. After the tickets and the insurance had been purchased and time for no charge cancellation had passed we received our policy which states preconditions are not covered. It seems if you even have the sniffles, it is considered an existing condition and as such you are out of luck. Hope there is some politician who can stand up against these giant fraudulent corporations. Unfortunately, they are the strongest and richest lobbyists as well as political contributors and they have card blanch to do what ever they please. LEGALIZED EXTORTION and THIEVERY. Shervin

• C
      Jul 25, 2014

I think Travel Guard is a scam. We purchased the gold Policy for our upcoming trip to Israel. We had to cancel and Travel guard is rejecting our terrorism claim. The FAA canceled all flights due to rockets.
    They will not return phone calls or emails and are very rude. Would recommend everyone to never purchase insurance from this company ever!