Travel Guard / Cancelled trip - denied claim

1 AZ, United States Review updated:

I purchased a policy from Travel Guard covering me for $10, 000 for a trip on which I was scheduled to go. I had paid non refundable business class fare for the air and almost at the last minute the tour operator cancelled the trip due to a medical situation she was facing. When I took out the policy I paid a premium for the "Cancel for any reason" clause. After paying for the plan I received a certificate of insurance but no copy of a policy. When I called to file a claim I was informed that cancellation of a trip by a tour operator, airline or cruise line is not covered. What other reasons are 90% of trips cancelled for? To me any reason means any reason, there should be no exceptions. I have subsequently read of another individual who filed a claim for a cancelled flight and was denied because they do not pay if the airline is at fault. They have outs in their small print for the greatest majority of claims. I would love somebody in the Senate to demand a hearing where these con artists (hiding behind large underwriters) are forced to disclose what percentage of claims actually get paid vs. those that are denied.

Comments

• Vi
      26th of Feb, 2010

I won't burden you with my tragic story but take my heed and do not use Travel Guard, they are rip off artists, they require a library full of documentation to even qualify for a review to see if you are eligible to receive the reimbursement YOU PAID FOR. And I mean you have to have every receipt every conformation number, every doctor, every hospital, every every every. Then they take months to review and won't even talk to you unless it has been 5 weeks, ( I am serious) says so right on their form! Then no matter how much proof you have or how many doctors that verify and even write hand written notes to re-verify they will refuse to pay you. Don't bother wasting your money! And what is really sad their premiums are huge, so you pay top dollars for nothing. However a small portion of our trip I booked on Expedia and their insurance was cheap and they instantly refunded my money, no questions asked. They are cold hearted bigots and if I could figure out a way to put them out of business I would write a million of these.