Transunion / blocks my government mandated free credit report

As we all know, we are entitled for one free credit report every year by logging on to annualcreditreport.com. This is the official web site supposedly set up by the three credit bureaus, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion, as mandated by the government. Obtaining the free report from Experian and Equifax was easy, but not with TransUnion. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to get a free credit report from them since this program was started.

Every time I request report from TransUnion through the annualcreditreport.com website, it would ask me for my "TransUnion" log in and password. Years ago I bought a credit report from them and I created a log in name and password. I don't remember that anymore. When I click the "forget my log in / password" icon, supposedly it emails the information to my old email address that I haven"t used for years now. When I call them, they also ask for my old user name and password which I don't even remember. To make the long story short, I am not able to obtain a free credit report form TransUnion. I always end up paying for it, which they make it so easy to do. I believe that they designed the procedures of obtaining a free report so hard and complicated to re-direct the public to their pay-only website.

Va

Comments

27th of Sep, 2008

I just tried to get my FREE annual credit report (only) from TransUnion. Every option on their website required submitting a valid credit card number or an online check. My credit card was charged $10.50. I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. I plan to dispute the charge with my credit card company. I had absolutely no trouble with Experian or Equifax. TransUnion appears to be blatantly ignoring the law or, at the very least, using misleading business practices. Is this the kind of company that we want to allow to maintain and disseminate our credit information?

31st of Mar, 2009

I had the same experience--three years in a row. Finally I sent in a complaint about it and they told me:
    You have to mail in photocopies of your ss card, drivers license, and some utility bill.
    I had to switch from paperless billing to postal mail bills just to get a utility bill for them (copies of online bills are unacceptable, they say).
    I did finally get the report. It is, of course, terribly inaccurate. Wish me luck getting the disputed stuff off of there. No intelligent company should base their credit decisions on Trans Union reports because the company does not lift a finger to correct anything that's inaccurate.

20th of Apr, 2009

I am having the same experience with TransUnion. After getting passes back and forth between annualcreditreport.com and Transunion and finally getting passes the security shell game, I get to the TransUnion link for a free credit report (It took a week of trying) and it denies me the report because it erroneously states that I already got the free report. What can be done about these credit bureaus proliferating false and duplicated derrogatory entries on credit reports and then making it nearly impossible to fix the errors with each credit bureau. We are being taking by highway robbers and there does not seem to be any recourse for the credit bureaus reporting false information or making it nearly impossible to fix. Can a congressman look into this and do something?

• Jw
      8th of Oct, 2009

Similar...I know it is my right to get a copy of my credit report from each of the three controllers of our credit information and score. This is the first time I have tried to get it: Experian was fine, the other company's info is all wrong and I cannot get a free report from transUnion any way I try. They want me to give them my credit card and they will bill me in a month -- I do not want their alerts, counseling, passwords or anything else just my CREDIT REPORT.

THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO KEEP THIS INFO FROM ME OR ANYONE ELSE -- IT IS ILLEGAL.

• Ho
      18th of May, 2010

I agree they are trying everything to make it impossible to get our credit score. I just tried and while Experian and Equifax were ok Transunion wasn't going to give up that information no matter what. I was told that I was not able to be verified online and that I would have to choose phone or mail verification, I chose phone. They then presented me with 6 phone numbers I never had and said I had to choose one. I said none they weren't mine. They said hmmm can't help you then, go and download and fill in this PDF file, print it and send it back to us by snail mail and we should be able to get to you in 3-5 weeks. Or you can go to our website and PAY, then you don't need the phone number (your credit/debit card will do just fine). What a ripoff, these people should be reported. Meanwhile they have inaccurate information on me I am unable to correct.

• Ha
      20th of May, 2010

Trans Union is based in Chicago, Illinois, and is one of the three national credit bureaus, or consumer reporting agencies, in the United States. It currently handles data on approximately 160 million consumers. As a consumer reporting agency, Trans Union receives detailed credit information about millions of American consumers from numerous credit grantors including banks, mortgage companies, credit unions, auto dealers and others. Trans Union compiles this information into consumer reports and sells the reports to credit grantors nationwide.

In addition to its credit reporting business, however, Trans Union also sells a variety of target marketing lists through its subsidiary, Performance Data. Using the consumer information it collects, Trans Union creates lists of the names and addresses of specific categories of consumers and sells them to target marketers who in turn solicit the consumers to purchase goods and services.

*not only are they guilty of selling personal and private information to whomever will pay for it,

THEY BLOCK ACCESS TO FREE REPORTS, AND DRIVE MOST INTERNET AND PHONE TRAFFIC TOWARDS PAYING A 14.95/MONTH (180/YR) SERVICE.

THE LINK PROVIDED FOR FREE ANNUAL CREDIT REPORTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)is annualcreditreport.com, but TRANSUNION WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY CREDIT INFORMATION AND WILL LINK TO A BROKEN WEBPAGE. THEY WILL ASK FOR VERIFICATION INFORMATION THAT IS INVALID OR OUTDATED, ALL GEARED WITH THE INTENTION OF DENYING PEOPLE ACCESS TO THEIR OWN REPORTS.

• 10
      13th of Sep, 2010

What is going on is they are trying to profit from forcing you to give them a credit card over the phone to pay for a new credit report... when in some cases you are able to get a credit report on your account. But when you are trying to dispute it, you are kicked off or logged off. You are entitled to a free credit report more than once a year due to the fact if you been denied a loan or even suspect being a victim of identity fraud. If you are having issues with the person you are dealing with on the phone with Transunion. Simply hang up and try calling back and hope you get someone else that knows what they are doing. Even though you forgot your username, they should be able to give it to you over the phone and send a reset to your new email address. You give them your new email address and they are suppose to send a special reset password link to the new email address your provide them. They cannot give you the password but should be able to provide you a username somehow.
    I was lucky to have old credit reports that were really old... they started asking me for account information and account numbers from 10 years ago... otherwise they would not grant me access. They are a pain but I think they are cracking down because they probably got into alot of trouble! Here are two numbers you could try calling for transunion... I would recommend having a Transunion File Number if available otherwise they should be able to unlock access. Make sure you do not get off the phone with them until its confirmed you could log in... you should even be in front of your computer on Transunion website and logged into your email while you have them on the phone. They will tell you that nothing is blocked but they are not even checking your account so you won't have to keep calling them back.

Transunion #'s
    (800) 888-4213 or (800) 916-8800

If anyone needs help with their credit, you could email me at 100creditrestore@gmail.com

Goodluck!

• Ca
      25th of Feb, 2011

For me it is always a group of phone numbers in a city I lived in last in 1996. None of the numbers ever match a number of even my friends and family. Previous to that it was the card number from my JCP credit card from the eighties.

• St
      17th of Apr, 2011

I went to annualcreditreport.com as well. I was able to get Experian and Rquifax, but TransUnion was "experiencing a problem with the web site" and I was told to try later. Now when I go into annualcreditreport.com, the TransUnion selection says "Verified" and I can no longer get the credit report - it says I already received it. I'm not sure why I bother, no one seems to care about the credit report anymore. All creditors want a credit score and the one that you can get, after paying lots of money for, isn't even the one the creditors use! Thanks Congress for really looking out for the people! What a joke...

• Lo
      23rd of Apr, 2011

Why the government has not shut down TRANS UNION?
    All the money they should be investing in customer service they are investing in lobbyists.
    With the importance of a credit report/score in every american life, you would imagine this entity would be subject to the most strict standards, after all they determine whether you are eligible to loans and at what rates.
    I've witnessed for many years horror stories about how this company fail to report accurate credit reports consistently.