Transamerica Moving / Unauthorized charges

1 18341 Sherman Way #201BReseda, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 818-705-7783

I contracted with Transamerica Moving to move a small amount of household items and some furniture from California to Hawaii. The company quoted a fee of $8-10K total door to door, based on a rate of $1.40/lb. When it came time to deliver the goods, Transamerica and their local agents demanded additional funds nearly double the estimated quote before they would deliver the goods. They also demanded a $400 cash payment before unloading the truck citing 'extra effort' needed to unload, despite being able to drive their truck to within 10 feet of the final destination.

Additionally, there were a number of items 'missing' or rather stolen from the shipment, including 422 DVD disks, an antique clock, tools, garden equipment, compressor and pneumatic nailers. Many of the items arrived broken or otherwise damaged.

Formal claims were forwarded to Transamerica's 'customer service' department without response. Complaints were lodged with the California PUC and the Federal Surface Transportation Board with no response forthcoming. A complaint was also filed with the Better Business Bureau, since the company advertises membership on their website.

Transamerica Moving apparently has no intention of responding to customer complaints or claims, and operates with impunity whenever possible. I would recommend that anyone contemplating doing business with them to look elsewhere.

Lu

Comments

• Fr
      8th of Apr, 2009

I TO HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH THIS COMPANY ON A MOVE FROM HOUSTON, TEXAS AREA TO FORT WORTH, TEXAS.THE QUOTE ON ABOUT $ 3000.00 MORE THAN THE QUOTE ORGINAL.THEY HAD MY BOEXS AND ALL OM HEAVY THINGS SITTING OUTSIDE IN FRONT OF THE CURB AND THEN I WAS APPROACHED THE TRUCK DRIVER AND TOLD ME THE MOVE WAS GOING TO COST MORE THE ORGINAL ESTIMATE BY ALMOST $ 3, 000.00 AND WANTED ME SIGN THE CONTRACT BEFORE THEY WOULD LOAD THE TRUCK.HE ALSO DEMANDED 1/2 OF THE MONEY THEN.I EXPLAINED THAT I WAS TOLD BY THE SALES PERSON IN CALIFORNIA THAT I COULD COULD GIVE IT TO THE TRUCK DRIVE BEFORE THEY UNLOADED MY THINGS IN FORT WORTH.HE TOLD HE WAS NOT GOING TO MOVE UNTIL AT LEAST PAID HIM $ 2, 000.00.I HAD MY HOUSE SOLD AND NEW OWNERS WHERE DUE THE ABOUT 8:00 PM TO MOVE IN.SO I WENT TO THE BANK AND GOT THE $ 2000.00 THE MOVE COST ME CLOSE TO 10, 000.00.TO MAKE MOVE FROM. THE ESTIMATE OF $6500.00 WAS BY THE SALESMAN.
    THEY BROKE AN ANTIQUE MARBLE TOP WHICH WAS OVER 8' LONG IN TO, THEY SHEARED THE LEG OFF OF THE ANTIQUE SERVER.BROKE A 1887 KITCHEN GRANDFATHER CLOCK, BROKE SEVERAL THINGS THEY WHERE NOT PACK BY THE CORRECTLY.
    THEY CONTAINED THAT THEIR INSURANCE WAS FOR ONLY .60 CENT A POUND.I TOLD THEM THAT I WAS NOT DISPUTING
    60 CENT CLAUSE BUT WAS DISPUTING THE
    WAY THEY PACK AND MOVE MY THINGS.WE RECIEVED THREE LARGE CHANDLIERS NO CHANDLIERS BOXES BUT WITH BUBBLE WRAP AND ONE OF OUR TOWELS AROUND THEM, THE SEVER AND TOP WAS NOT PROTECTED AT AS THEY WHERE EXPLAINED TO US THEY BE.THE CLOCK WAS IN A BOX WITH OTHER ITEMS IN IT NO PROTECTION AT ALL.THAT WAS WHAT I HAD A PROBLEM WITH ON PAYING FOR MY DAMAGED THINGS.
    MY COMPLAINTS TO THEIR OFFICE FELL ON A NO RESPONCE EAR.
    I HAD MY ATTORNEY SEND A LETTER CERTIFIED TO THEM AND THEN I CALLED THEM AND THEY OFFERED ME $ 250.00TO SIGN A RELEASE.I SENT PHOTOS TWICE ONCE EMAIL IN WHICH THEY CLAIMED THEY NEVER GOT AND THE I SEND THE SAME PHOTOS BY USPS AND THEY MISPLACED THEM.
    I HAVE TURN THIS OVER TO THE BBB ALSO.IN THE LOS ANGLES AREA WHERE THEY ARE.

GO TO A WEB PAGE OF
    onlinebusinessbureau.com

1629 K STREET SUITE 300
    WASHINGTON, DC. 20006

Look up TRANSAMERICA MOVING
    7142 WHITE OAK AVE
    VAN NUYS, CA. 91406

WHEN SOME INFORMATION COMES UP AT THE BOTTOM OF IT
    I HAS A GREAT BIG RED WARNING ABOUT THIS COMPANY.

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY BECAUSE THEY IF YOU DON'T I AFRAID YOU WILL BE HERE NEXT WRITTEN SOMETHING ABOUT THEM AFTER IT IS TO LATE.