Toyota Financial / Toyota Motor Credit / Late payments difficulties

2006 I had fallen on hard times and made some late payments, October 2006 I had requested a deferment so that I can be caught up and start fresh. They accepted and not only willing to give me 1 month extension but offered me 2 month extension on the agreement I made a payment for September and the amount indicated due to me overpaying for 2 months in 05 that was actually suppose to be applied to principle and was not. An agreement was faxed for me to sign which was done and faxed back and indicated my next payment was 12/2/06 which was done and on time. Jan. Payment was late due to health reasons but I paid it online 1/19/07 and noticed it was not deducted from my acct. Tues. 1/23/07 my car was repossessed and when I called on 1/24/07 they said I owed 3 months, Nov, Dec. and Jan. I told them I paid dec. and have a deferment for Oct and Nov. and jan paid online. I was then told December payment went to Oct payment and they don’t see Jan. payment online and they never received the deferment agreement back from me which was faxed directly to a specific person and her fax. They told me they have called couple times in Dec. and once at my work on 1/10/07. I have never received any calls from them and no messages were left. They claim no one answered home phone or work phone I have voice mail in both places. They later claim that they can’t leave a message on a voice mail at my work unless its my personal voice mail which I told them it was they said they have no way of knowing that, and I told them my first and last name is on there. They tell my I can qualify to have my car re-instated If I pay 819.81 which are 3 months worth of car payment and $340.repo fee. And before they can accept payment I need to fax them copy of insurance and current pay stub which was faxed that day. I called later that day to follow up see if they received fax and was told know they did not receive, it was then faxed 2 more times and called an was told still not received and once they do receive it will take 48 hrs to have approved then when money is sent will take another 2 to 3 days how convenient because the storage of where you car is held is $35/per day from the time they pick your car up to the time you are able to pick your car up upon approval from Toyota and an appointment has to be made. 1/25/07 we faxed again making a total of 4x’s, we call and are still told no fax and sometimes takes 24 hrs for faxes to come thru. We ask to speak to a supervisor and was told no. We asked for a last name and was told they don’t have one but yet I have a first and last name for the person I faxed my agreement to and apparently no one has heard of her. The gentlemen became very rude and ignorant to us, everyone we spoke to was rude with the exception of one woman there who helped me get my car back but I still had to pay for all of it since they claim they never received that agreement. I even told them I spoke to someone in Nov. re: this deferment they told me all was fine and they have no record of that call. They have made it very difficult to get my car back and now 1/26/07 I was charged 4 days of storage total of $140.00 and the gentlemen told me he picked up 10 cars the night before and 3 of which was returned back. When I was with GMAC for 5 yrs I never experienced this problem.

Comments

• Vi
      2nd of Jun, 2008

I had almost the same thing happen to me re my 2004 Toyota Rav4.

29th of Dec, 2009

I have had similar experiences with SouthEast Toyota Finance. I lost my job and can not make the $730 monthly lease payments. I hav e called asking about lowering the payments by lowering the interest rate (e.g., to the level being changed now) or extending the term of the lease and they simply can not be bothered.

I too was with GMAC previously and found them to be considerate. I would recommend that one tries everything else before using them, or simply don't buy a Toyota.

- John Dohm, Florida

• Ca
      9th of Mar, 2010

I have been unemployed and have tried working with Toyota Financial on getting an extension. I have spoken with several people in the organization and too have found them to be very rude, unhelpful. I have continued to try and work with Toyota Financial asking for an extension since I have just started a new job. I spoken to very rudely by one of the Customer Servive Reps who stated that unless I make my payment they would repossess my car. I tried explaining to the CS Agent that even while being unemployed I continued to make my payments so I cannot understand why they could not work with me until I can get my financial position in order. The CS Agent Rep. was rude, escalated his voice and was not willing to hear what I had to say. He further stated to me that my car would be repossessed tonight.
    My car is one of the Recall Cars and in fact I was driving the car 8 hours from my home for a job interview and experienced the increased acceleration problem. Due to this problem I was involved in an accident and have still been unable to get the car recall problems fixed because Toyota Delerships do not have the parts to fix the issue.
    We as Americans would think that with all of the problems Toyota is dealing with and the nondisclosure of the problems with these cars hey would be more than willing to work with the consumer.
    If we as Americans can bail out all of the Banks, Insurance Companies (AIG), with us the taxpayers money you think that our Government would help all of us in our moments of crisis. After all we are not responsible for the shape the economy is in and we certainly did not expect to be unemployed. Many of us are having to relocate to other States to find jobs.
    If all of the other car finance companies can work with the consumer why we can not get the same treatment from Toyota Financial.
    This is my first time buying a Toyota and once I am in a better financial position I can guarantee you if will be the last Toyota Car I ever plan on buying.
    The best is how many people have lost their lives because of the nondisclosure of the Toyota car defects.
    In closing you would think that not only would Toyota Financial, Toyota Motor and the Government be willing to step in and help "Bail" us the American Taxpayers out of this financial distress we are in due to the ecomnomy. Are we the Taxpaying workers who have found themselves in the worst financial crisis of their lives not given he same opportunity as many Americans who the Government is helping save their homes from being Foreclosed on due to non payment. President Obama is trying to pass some legislation that will dictate to the largest Mortgage/Banking Firms to prevent them from foreclosing on homes. What about Obama passing legislation to assist car owners from having their cars repossessed. After all President Obama is preaching that he palns on creating more jobs for the unemployed. That sounds great but how does he expect us the working class report to work if we have no transportation.
    If President Obama would like to see the unemployment rate go down he also needs to look at how allowing we the car owners to be able to keep our cars in order for us to work and stay off of the unemployment ranks.

Cathy - Louisiana

• Us
      16th of Aug, 2010

I made my Toyota payment with online banking. Toyota claims they got the payment two days after my bank says they got it- just in time for Toyota to charge me a late fee. How convenient. I sent in my bank statement showing when the payment cleared and they still would not remove the late fee. The Toyota rep said my bank must deduct the payment in advance. Hmmm, what bank do you know that does that? I even got a written statement from my bank saying they don't do that. Really, Toyota?!?! Are you that desperate?

• 20
      24th of Feb, 2011

The obvious solution here is to simply not use Toyota's Finance Company. If you are unhappy with a lender simply refinance the loan with another lending institution. Preferrably a local Credit Union. They typically look out for the members as their reputation is far more important to them than simply making money.

• Ls
      30th of May, 2012

Toyota Motor Credit is calling my job and sending me a certified letter to collect a debt on my ex spouse loan he signed only. My ex is court ordered to pay the car as a temporary judgment as my spousal support. He paid the loan as ordered initially by Judge but when the divorce was granted on 1-27-12 he decided he wasn't going to pay it anymore and told me it's my responsibility. We still havent went to court on the final decision on the community property...Toyota is sending me letters & he & his attorney calling my job asking for the car...Is this harrasment??????..I'm not even the co-borrower on the loan..I sent Toyota the temporary court documents where as it clearly states my ex is to pay for the car!!!...What can I do its n repo to be picked but I haven't turned it over to Toyota yet because of the judgment but has sent them the documents & waiting on Toyota atty's to respond to me!!! any suggestions??