Towers Business Solution / Fraudulent check

1 Green Valley, AZ, United States Review updated:

Received a check for 4, 979.00 with instructions to call a number in London Ontario 300 2nd St. (a trucking company) before cashing the check. Letter said we had won 79, 995 US Dollars, Called winnings from shoppers sweepstakes held on jan 27th 2009 with ticket Serial Number and lucky winning number. This check was to pay the taxes on the entire winnings. Telephone number [protected] and a Fax of [protected]
We are elderly and the check was made out to my wife who has been demented for several years. I think they are prying on the elderly and need to be exposed. Thank you

Comments

• Cl
      27th of Mar, 2009

I received the same letter and check with the bank that the check was drawn on. They informed that the check was a fraud and that they had received the same complaint from other people.

• Ka
      27th of Mar, 2009

I got the same thing, so after doing my due diligence and discovering it was a fraud, I contacted the Federal Trade Commision to register a complaint. This is what I wrote:

"I received a letter from Towers Business Solution (no "s")in London, Ontario, Canada stating I had won the Shoppers Sweepstakes in the amount of $79, 995.00, of which the enclosed check was to cover the taxes on the amount (which they claimed was $2, 995.00). The check from Towers Business Solutions (note the "s") in Deerfield Beach, FL on a SunTrust Bank, Bethesda, MD account was in the amount of $4, 979.00. It said to call the phone number before using the check, so I did. The operator did not ask me for any information other than to verify the info on the check itself. She then said I had 60 days to do my "due diligence" to discover if the check was real. I then went to my bank and was told that, though they could not find the business or the bank listed on any fraud/scam list, the check was probably fraudulent. I contacted SunTrust Bank in Bethesda by email to verify it was a real account. SunTrust sent me a reply email with an 800-number to call to give them more information. When I called, they said it was a real account but it was not the company listed so it was a fraudulent check."