Total Focus Photography & Video / Overcharging

1 Ft Lauderdale, United States Review updated:

After being treated so well before becoming a customer I decided that total focus would be the best way to go for my wedding photos. I was mistaken and 6 mths later I am still having issues with the company and trying to resolve them. The package I purchased was supposedly given to me at such a great deal because there was a previous cancellation so I was excited about my purchase, initially.

After the wedding, there was no correspondence as to what I was supposed to do to actually view and order my pictures. They only emailed me after I requested that information from them as well as informing me that I would need to pay late charges for a number of days because I hadn't chose my photos as yet. At this time I hadn't received any information as to how I would do that!!! After paying the late fees and setting up an appointment to choose photos, I was told to get everything they offered me that day I would have to pay about $3700 in addition to the $2500 that I paid before my wedding.

I'd asked exactly what I'd paid for before and they explained that it was basically a basic package. But they could show me something different and work on the pricing. It came to about $2200 after that. I agreed to that, but the day after and prior to any payments I decided that I just couldn't afford it. I called the company to cancel but I couldn't get through to who I needed to speak to but told the receptionist of my intent to cancel. She stated the order would be placed on hold. A few days late when I got in contact with the manager he said it was to late to cancel.

We debated this back and forth and they finally charged my card anyway. I am now in a dispute with them and have not ever felt so ripped off and betrayed before.

PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY TO AVOID THE HEARTACHE AND DISHONESTY!!!

Comments

• Br
      29th of Jul, 2008

This company is a RIP-OFF They are the most unprofessional people I have EVER dealt with.. It has been over a year, and I STILL have not received my wedding album... I will be filing my own report after I get it.

• Li
      28th of Dec, 2009

I agree!! This company did the exact same thing to me! We started out with 3 hours of photography and I thought it was such a great deal. After the photographer came to take our pictures she told us they would contact us when the pictures were ready. I didn't hear from them for 3 months and finally I got an email saying I owed $50 in late charges or "storage fees" which is total bull since what are they actually storing? NOTHING. Finally when they put our pictures up so we could choose the "manager" told us we really weren't getting much and that we should really upgrade so that was another $1200! We paid over time and when we finally finished paying we still hadn't heard back from them about the order. I called and they said it would be just a little longer. Finally then I receive the email to pick up the photos or get them shipped and the "manager" informs me that I really should get the negatives or the proofs and that would be another $700!!! And if I wanted these that I had to get them now because they are only available when we pick up the photos. Of course they are, they just want to suck you in for more. I said no way, then he came up with this other "great deal" for 1/2 off. WHAT??? I mean really, this is like dealing with a used car salesman. 10 months later and still no photos. SO unprofessional.

• Ol
      19th of Jan, 2010

I am the commenter from above and would like to add one more thing. There was a Miami New Times article written about the poor business conduct of Total Focus Photography. They actually contacted Jim Peters the owner. How he responded should say it all about how he chooses to conduct his business. The first thing he said was that they often have six-month contracts with individuals and that WE, the consumer, forget what was actually on the contract. That is priceless. He is admitting there is something wrong with what they do, and in fact take advantage of it. If that is known by you Jim Peters, wouldn't the professional thing to do be to review the contract when sitting down with them? Or do you use that to your advantage? The other thing he said is that over the years, they have satisfied 1000's of customers. Really? Really? Thousands? Show us the letters. I think the assumption is that, hey, if they don't complain, they must be satisfied. WRONG. Defend yourself and your business. Let's not get confused. The photographers are not yours. They are contracted by Total Focus Photography. I enjoyed my photographer. He took good pictures. The bait and switch is what I am bothered by. How about telling customers that the $300 CD is just the pictures on the CD and that we have no rights to it. We doesn't you salesman say that? If we want rights to that it is $700. Hey look, if you can sleep at night charging people $700 for pictures of themselves, congratulations, especially when you tell them it is only $300. In two years, Total Focus Photography has compiled 13 complaints with the better business bureau.
    Why choose them? Do yourself a favor pick one of the 100's of other photographers out there.

• Lo
      18th of Mar, 2010

hahah, they used the same sales tactics with us

this company sucks!

10th of Sep, 2010

I totally agree with everyone. Me and my wife signed a contract with them thinking we wouldn't have to pay anything else. After the wedding we received emails stating we would be able to pick about 150 pictures out of about 400. When we did that we set an appointment and when we got there we find out we can only choose 50 out of the 150. We were outraged to hear that. Plus we had the basic package and was suppose to receive a wedding album, but they tried to charge us for that plus extra . We finally told them we just want the proofs of all the pictures plus the uncut video we ended up paying over $500 for that. All I am saying we really made a mistake choosing them and I am making sure anyone I know doesn't use them.