TJ Maxx / bait 'n switch

I shopped at TJ Maxx today and I saw some great jeans on a rack. I thought they would make an awesome present for my girlfriend who really likes this particular brand.

The sign on the rack said $79.99. However, when I went to the checkout, they came up at $99.99.

I told the cashier that the price was wrong. We could both clearly see the sign and the nice cashier agreed with me.

Then the manager decided to step in and veto the 79.99 (correct) price. She said that some of the jeans on the rack were 99.99. I showed her the signage. It says 79.99, not 79.99 and up. She agreed with the verbiage of the sign, but still would not give me the 20.00 difference in price. I think that's called bait and switch, right? Lure you in with one price and then make it more expensive. Good thing I've been trapped in retail for the past 6+ years. I have some connections with TJ Maxx. Just wish I didn't have to go through all of this because the manager had a chip on her shoulder despite her store's incorrect signage. Time to battle!

Va

Comments

• Am
      26th of Dec, 2008

That's really a common mistake that is the result of sloppy merchandising. All merchandise is what the ticket says it is so long as that ticket is the one that belongs to the item. If the sign says one thing, and the ticket means the other, that means that someone either dumped some jeans beneath that sign, or that an associate placed them there without realizing that the prices did not match up.

• St
      8th of Feb, 2009

Okay, maybe someone just put that jean there. If you work in retails before then you should know that whatever price is on the ticket is the price for the item. DUH! Genius. :) It's only 20 bucks different. Quit being cheap! It's ###en TJ Maxx man, you could of paid more!

• Ga
      12th of Apr, 2009

"Ryan With Connections", if you have worked in retail for six plus years then you know the drill and you are wrong. First, that is not what they call a "bait & switch". Second, a retailer is only obligated to sell the merchandise for the price on the ticket, if it is the correct ticket or otherwise what we in 20+ years of retail experience call the "correct price". Several things could have caused this error, you moved the sign from another fixture, an associate added the jeans to the fixture without realizing the sign did not match the price on the jeans (human error, glad you're perfect though), the pair of jeans you got were the only pair on the rack because a customer placed them there when they decided on the 79.99 jeans instead of the 99.99 jeans they had originally selected, or someone was in the process of filling the rack due to selling and had not yet changed the sign. I am sure none of these occurred to you since you have connections and a lot of retail experience. I would think someone with retail experience would consider some of these options and give the store some latitude, these kind of comments are something you expect from a customer ignorant of retail practices.

I find myself wondering where you work, I would be curious to see if your store is perfect. If not I would most definitly have to contact your supervisor and write a letter to post on the internet. Oh yeah and mention my connections within your company.

• Am
      7th of Jun, 2009

Those racks are there to try to make it easier for customers to find what they're looking for and for people who do not like to dig through long runs of clothes. Many customers find items and then change there mind and just set hang them on whatever is closest. In the future, remember that all items are priced according to what the TJ Maxx ticket says, not necessarily the sign. The signs usually tell the maximum price of items on that display or what vendor the clothes are from.

17th of Nov, 2009

I used to buy everything from TJMAXX but the managers and the cashiers should be more carefull handleling custumers!!!I went and bought a dress in september in a TJMAXX store in Suwanee GA and when I went to return it with the tag attached to the dress and the reciept after two days !!! they told me that the dress didn't belonged to the store and treat me like I was doing something wrong I could not believe it !! the manager was very unhelpfull It was only a dress that cost 19.99 so I kept it but promised myself never to shop in that store again.!!!

• Gr
      3rd of Jan, 2010

your an ###.

• Tj
      18th of Feb, 2010

As my unnamed store manager started morning meetings "our customers are pigs but..." Things get put in the wrong place. One time someone put a handmade $5 sign meant for mismated socks on the cashmere sweater table. Did I honor that? Do I have brain damage? The nice cashier is nice cuz you are psyching out, so they smile and nod so you don't snap.

• Ab
      12th of Jan, 2011

I work at a Tj maxx and i was right behind someone putting coats on a rounder that were 199.99 and the sign said 129.99 so its not just the "store's incorrect signage" its also the customers as well...

27th of Jun, 2013

I just bought 02 fragrances Burberry at Tjmaxx. Both have the red tag $22.00, one in my receipt was charged correct, the other was charged $29.00. I just realized today while I overlooked the receipt.
    So, this is not sign mistake, that someone place the item at the wrong spot. Who ever is defending the store ... check out my receipt!

Don't write disrespect thing to people, next time the target may be you.

27th of Jun, 2013

For some reason they website does not upload my picture.

Oh just did it.