TigerDirec.com / OnRebate.com / Rebate rip-offs!

The $50.00 is no longer the point; the point is that while numerous companies may benefit from the reality that many advertised rebates never reach the customer, few companies are as adept at insuring that customers never receive a rebate as TigerDirect.com and its sister company, OnRebate.com. The two companies (both are owned and operated by Systemax, Inc.) employ practices that are purposeful and gouged to deny customers promised rebate checks and, if we agree that fraud can be defined as ‘gain through deception’, their practices are certainly fraudulent in nature. The strategy employed by TigerDirect and OnRebate is simple; merely confuse, delay, then deny the rebate, demand additional paperwork or copies of documentation, approve the rebate claim if the customer is really persistent and then delay some more until the customer becomes totally frustrated and decides that the dollar value of the rebate is not worth the effort to further pursue the issue. My claim has been rejected, approved and then rejected again citing reasons that have no basis in fact; delays and a lack of responses to inquiries have been the norm and assurances have been meaningless. Contact the SE Florida Better Business Bureau and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to register complaints.

Comments

5th of Jul, 2007

In early April I sent in all documentation to OnRebate for a $50.00 rebate for item purchased at TigerDirect Canada. They supplied me with a tracking number through which I could monitor progress. Consequently they posted the following:
    "05/09/2007 Documentation received"
    About a month later they posted:
    "06/05/2007 Claim was approved".

Furthermore I received an e-mail confirming that a check would be mailed approximately June 26. Today (July 5) I sent an e-mail inquiring about my check. Very quickly I received a response saying that a check is issued 8 weeks after approval. I responded pointing out that 8 weeks would take it into August and that it does at all come even close to June 26. I received another response this time saying that disbursements are made within 8-10 weeks and subject to final approval.

It would appear the more you inquire the more they extend the date. I suppose that at the end final approval would be denied and you kiss your $50.00 goodbye. I will test this theory and keep on inquiring.