Tiger Kim's Tae Kwon Do Academy / Deceptive Sales Practices

1 Denver, CO, United States Review updated:

On January 31st, 2007 I entered Tiger Kim’s Tae Kwon Do Academy looking to become a student of Tae Kwon Do because my 5-year-old son attended classes there. Prior to sign a contract with Mr. Sung Kim, the Co-Owner of Tiger Kim’s Academy, I asked several important questions regarding the terms of their contract(s). First and foremost I asked about the different options that were available regarding length of time. Mr. Kim abruptly informed me that they only provided 2-year contract and that everyone signed the same contract. I asked him if he could do me a favor and offer a 1-year contract instead and he denied my request. Since my son was already a student I decided to sign-up so that he and I could practice martial arts together. After some time, maybe 1 year 3 months went by, I found out that Mr. Sung Kim was allowing new students to sign shorter-term contracts and I became angry. At that point I decided that I was not going to honor the original agreement because of Mr. Sung Kim’s deceptive sales presentation. Clearly, if I knew about the shorter-term 1-year contract I would have signed that instead of a 2-year contract. Upon further research I also found that on the FAQ page of Tiger Kim’s Academies website it clearly states:
“Do I have to sign a contract?
No, but most of our students do commit to an extended-length course. Depending on what rank you wish to achieve, we offer various short-term and long-term course plans”. Please note that this information has been saved as a screen print on my desktop for proof.
None of the information in that question regarding course plans was presented to me. I was lead to believe that a 2-year contract was all that was available. Mr. Sung Kim knowingly used high pressure/deceptive sales practices to persuade me into signing a 2-year agreement as opposed to a shorter-term contract. It had also come to my attention through past Tiger Kim’s Academy employees that Mr. Sung Kim used these sorts of deceptive sales practices when he felt that certain individuals could afford longer-term contracts then average person.

Comments

• Bo
      6th of Jul, 2009

I checked Tiger Kim's out prior to signing a contract. I did all of the research possible except checking the FAQ page on his website. I shouldn't have to be a victim of Deceptive Sales Practices because of that though.

• Rc
      30th of Aug, 2009

We have ben there 5 years. I have never heard of this kind of deception before, but I have known others like me who were given clear chooices with regard to the term of the contract.
    The one complaint I do have is that Master Kim and the others running the place allowed two women to ruin the black belt ceremony with half-hour speeches. One of these windbags got up and did this two ceremonies in a row.

The kids never had a chance.

• Ef
      2nd of Jan, 2011

Congratulations, You just got sucked into a contract w/ McDojo and master wallet is vely preased. Don't feel bad - same thing happened to me, only it was a 3 year contract. They stated "3 years or until Black Belt" and when my kid got her black belt in 2 and some change and i wanted to terminate they told me "we meant she could continue taking classes if she didn't make black belt in 3 years - free of charge" but that it was $3, 000 pro-rated w/ interest. Not very clear when we sat down to talk initially. If anyone trusts these Koreans - I know some Nigerian royalty that need you to cash some checks.

24th of Dec, 2015

rather martial arts
    work . as a supplier and manufacture
    products. martial arts uniforms and boxing gloves
    reason. for business corporate