Tiger Airways / bad service, overcharged me!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Review updated:

I am livid! I have sent this airline numerous letters about my bad experience and they still have done NOTHING! I have yet to receive a response! In October of 2009 my friend and I bought tickets to fly with Tiger. We had our itinerary and had everything planned out. We travel often, we know what we're doing. We knew to get to the airport in time. So, we get to the airport to check in a whole 20 minutes before boarding only to be told that check in for the flight has been closed. That it had been closed 10 minutes prior!!! We spoke to the employees. They were rude and said there was nothing they could do about it. They obviously didnt care. They just wanted our money. They werent going to let us board. That the only way we could get to Sydney from Melbourne was to take the next flight but we'd have to pay an extra $75! So, we did. We get past security and into the waiting area near our gate. As soon as we sit down we notice a line of people at the gate where we had originally had to be for our original flight. These people were JUST then boarding the plane! we could have been in that line! we were SUPPOSED to be in that line! They lied to us! That flight had not even begun to board yet! but no, we had to wait for our next flight and pay extra which not only ruined our plans but also left our pockets empty! I am so mad right now I can't even type! I want something done. I want my money back! I demand my money back Tiger Airways! Something will be done!

Comments

• So
      6th of Feb, 2010

It doesn't sound like they lied to you, check in and boarding are two different things.
    You can be late for check in but be there well before a flight starts boarding.
    On their website it says check in closes 45 minutes before departure, and you will be denied boarding if you arrive after that.
    I can't see how they are lying to you when they are doing exactly as it says on their website.
    If you travel often, you should be aware of the strict check in cutoff for budget airlines, if you were there 20 minutes before the flight it doesn't sound like you actually know what you are doing, you are lucky they did not charge you the full fare for the next flight.

7th of Feb, 2010

yes u are not travel smart. as if u never heard of budget airlines' reputation? any budget airline, not just tiger. u should be mad with yourself. i travel very often and never had any problems with budget airlines. i go with their flow and i agree that you should be happy that they didn't charge you full fare for the next flight. in fact, i think they should! so that you'll learn your lesson. :)

• Ih
      11th of Feb, 2010

Please be tactful and kind with your comments. I have never traveled with a budget airline before but I knew to not expect much from them. I know the difference between check in and boarding times. I still have the itinerary and it clearly states that check in opens 1 hour before departure and closes 15 minutes prior to departure (so I guess, yes, close call with only 5 minutes to spare). And yes, I have learned my lesson, to never fly with a budget airline again. This was a last minute/emergency flight we had to catch and we're just hoping we don't have to go through this again. Thank you for your feedback regardless :)

• Pu
      19th of Feb, 2010

I am travel smart, i have been backpacking around the world since i was 14 years old. I have travelled to hundreds of places and have never experienced the terrible level of service we received from Tiger Airways. Definitely DO NOT fly with Tiger Airways

After hearing all the problems people have had on other forums and websites I was very worried about flying with Tiger, so we got to the airport 1 1/2hrs before our flight to the Gold Coast.
    We sat down at gate 56 to listen to an announcement over the loud speaker saying that our 5.30pm flight was delayed because of a bird hit coming into Sydney and would not leave until 7pm boarding at 6.30pm. The board instantly changed the flight to boarding at 6.05pm so I went over to the two gentlemen at the gate to enquiry as to whether the announcement or the board was correct. James at the gate said the boards were all wrong and the flight would definitely board at 6.30pm, so I said we'd grab a bite to eat and come back he said that’s fine. We we're walking back to the gate at 6.25pm when I noticed the screen said final boarding call. We ran to the gate to be greeted by Dan the supervisor to say the plane had boarded, the gate had closed and we couldn’t get on the plane, by this time there were about 10 passengers in the same situation. He said he couldn’t do anything because Tiger contracts their work out and he doesn’t actually work for Tiger and we'd have to call head office in Melbourne and get the next flight in the morning. By this time James came back and admitted to all of us that he had told us the wrong time. He didn’t even apologise just stood there. Basically they said nothing could be done, no apology, no help, we were just told to go back to the counter and get a new flight.

I would naturally assume given it was their wrong doings that they would get us on another flight on another airline so we could get to our final destination.

On this occasion all ten people who missed there flight didn’t hear the announcements, but to be honest do you ever think your flight will leave half an hour earlier that indicated??

Then rebooking our flight at the counter they said they couldn’t print or email the booking to confirm the flights we're booked on so I had to take a picture of her screen from my phone. Then she had the gall to say at least you don’t have to pay the $70 rebooking fee.

It took up 5 exhausting hours of our night and was extremely upsetting.

23rd of Feb, 2010

Tiger appear to make it a point not to repay any money, I have contacted Tiger on many occasions re my refund, It takes a long time to get through and they blatantly lie like the dirty pigs that they are, there are no morals, no fair trading and no remorse about any thing sinister they do wrong. They stink

23rd of Feb, 2010

You will not get your money back, many are trying and they just do not give it back and there is nothing you can do about it.

• Ti
      1st of Mar, 2010

I have waisted over 60 hours trying to get my money back from Tiger, it takes at least 40 minutes to get through to an operator, they are Singapore people who answer the calls and are very well trained in telling lies to the public, I think. Over the months I am still no closer to getting my money back.

They have more tricks in verbal magic than any magician on this planet, again, acting dumb is an extra attribute they have, that's what I think.

On TV in Australia they have a programme shown recently on what Tiger is doing to terrorise their customer's, I believe Tiger is a2009, 2010 disgrace on any level and should not be awarded the federal government protection it has and at the same time dehumanise Australian air flying passengers asking for or demanding fair business play by this company . Tiger have been and are an extraordinary group in desensitising Australian airways customers even for the most average expectations.

Overall what I am saying, there is a enormous amount of complaints about this Tiger,
    Who can stop them,

What does it take to ensure this Singapore Owed Company acts and carries out it 's business in a respectful manner in its capacity to take on passengers from any big airport in Australia.

I think Tiger is not good enough to carry out business in Australia, most Australians think this and perhaps I think Tiger should fold up an leave our bountiful land. We do not need this trash.

I notice the Australian Federal police are aiding the protection of Tiger staff which are that I have noticed are rude and delinquent to paying customers and these staff have the ability to get them, the customer very upset, confused and angry.

With gun packing pack of federal police that can do and say what they want and stand over Tiger customers without any perceived rights in a federal administered airport. These people, who are only trying to normalise any rights they thought they had and put their view across to an unsympathetic, cruel and dispassionate Tiger Staff.

There are normal quality air carriers near by and they or their customers should not have to endure the complaints of Australians left grounded by Tiger for what ever reason they make up or have. The crying and screaming of customers and the filthy language directed to Tiger Staff should not be allowed to continue, there should be many trained trauma councillor 's standing by.

We must stop the Tiger or Lobby government t0 have the laws revamped to disallow Tiger terror in airports.

I think Tiger has the worst administration capability of any company in the entire world, well it is my view and up to you to prove me wrong.

Do not smoke, drink in moderation and absolutely do fly Tiger and you live mostly in harmony the rest of your life.

• Ti
      1st of Mar, 2010

Do not Smoke, drink in moderation and absolutely do not Fly Tiger and you will live mostly in harmony the rest of your life.

is what I meant to say.

• Ra
      26th of Apr, 2010

Take action. Join the fanpage and share your experience: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-Tiger-Airways/

• Ka
      10th of Oct, 2010

With any airline booking I always plan to be there 2 hours before departure. Yes even if I am leaving at some ungodly hour of the morning like 3am. That way I can be assured I will be there well ahead of any checkin closures..

However I am not happy at all with Tiger Airlines either. On the 19 Aug I booked a flight for a friend and I to travel to Queenslancd from Adelaide and we were to depart in January 2011. Total return fares for both of us incl baggage was $542.00 which was cheaper than Virgin or Jetstar even with all the extra luggage and seat allocation charges and so on.

Few days later went on to website and found that Tiger had cancelled booking. Rang call centre to find out what was happening.

Apparently as of Jan 2011 Tiger will not be flying to Brisbane any more from Adelaide. We will be getting a refund but not full amount we will only get $355 meaning my friend and I will be out of pocket. We were also told total refund will take up to 6 weeks to be processed we are still waiting 8 weeks later and was told yesterday it could be another 8 weeks yet.

So now I am in the position of needing to turn around and book a flight with another airline without that refund as we both need to be in Qld in January and bookings are getting scarce for that time period