Thyme and Sage Ranch / sick/dead dogs purchased

1 WI, United States Review updated:

If you have purchased a puppy/dog from Jennifer Petkus from Thyme and Sage ranch and would like to have your voice heard, please contact ALL of the following:

Email THYMEANDASAGESUIT@gmail.com - Possible lawsuit

Call the Richland County Sheriff (Deputy Chief Tom Haugon) at [protected], [protected] or [protected] (cell) as they are collecting complaints against her at this time and want your help.

Reporter at Channel 3 WISC-TV Madison - David Douglas
[protected] Desk [protected] Mobile ddouglas@wisctv.com

Reporter at Richland Observer
Dawn [protected]

Na

Comments

• Pu
      3rd of Dec, 2008
    Thyme and Sage Ranch - Sick Puppy and No info!
    Thyme and Sage Ranch
    Cazenovia

Dont get a dog from her unless you have the money to pay for the vet bills you will have to pay when you find out your dog is sick.

My puppy has a double yeast ear infection. Is under weight, hypoglycemic, and has an eye infection.

She did NOT mention any of this. She should have known about this. Especially the Hypoglycemia. I understand that this is fairly common. But I awoke at 4am to her limp as a wet noodle.

I rushed her to the emergency vet ($$$). Her blood sugar was 30!!! That is super bad!! Good is in the 100's. They had to give her a iv of dextrose and one dose didnt even help, they had to give her 2 just to make a dent!!!

When my regular vet opened I transfered her there. They were in shock at how quickly her levels dropped.

Its been 3 days, I have had to force feed her every three hours a mix of A/D and karo syrup. Not to mention I hardly get to handle her because we need to keep her in her carrier covered in blankets and a heating pad to keep her warm. She has no body fat to do that for her.

We called Jennifer to make her aware of the situation and we were told that is was pretty much basic knowladge that we would have to do that. Well I didnt have to do that with my other puppy when I got him. She didnt even tell me when I got her what to do. And that since she was sick we could return her and get another puppy from the same litter...um no.

Now from reading all the other complaints, Im going to have a fecal test tomorrow. Not to mention that it sound like the fact of the vaccinations are probably not real, a check on what I need to do about that.

So far, we are up to about $500 dollars in vet bills...

• Up
      10th of Dec, 2008

I am posting on further notice, my puppy died today. she said this was slander poing on this web site. so...that is all i am saying. for her lawyer may use this against me... ive got all my vet invoices. we did all we could, even giving her iv's of dextrose as was perscribed because she was SEVERLY hypoglycemic. and that i should have knowen that, it was "common sence" i have another dog a yorkie poo. No hypoglycemia nothing...so to say that is common sence. that is f'd up. i just got off the phone and is threating me that she will be going to her lawyer. well i have all my papers. and that 10day thing only stands if you bring the puppy back. well i drove 5 hours to get there, and in her condition...she would have died in my lap. i loved her so much and for someone to not mention that there even COULD be problems is not what i call a good operation. i understand that it was a "rescue" but a propper opperation should give more info than just coccidia. id like to see what comes of this. thank you. oh and fyi wisconsin has the very few laws protecting the consumer. never again.

• Ka
      29th of Dec, 2008

I am so sorry for your loss. Some notes: Hypoglycemia is very common in small breeds. If you buy another small/tiny breed, make sure you have some nutri-stat or nutri-cal. When my yorkie was a baby he went MAJOR hypo till he was 6 months. He was given the supplement morning, evening, after play periods, and before any situations I knew would stress him out (including lots of handling). He is eleven now, 4 pounds, and doing GREAT. Unfortunately, hypoglycemia is generally considered to be the responsibility of the caregiver. HOWEVER, did you check for a liver shunt? They can also cause bouts of low blood sugar and could be considered a congenital condition.

• Bo
      4th of Jan, 2009

I was considering adopting a puppy from Thyme and Sage Ranch but after reading the "beware" posts, I was concerned. Being a very experienced internet user and knowing that some people's compliment and complaint posts are less than genuine, we decided to drive down to the Ranch to see for ourselves. I think the first thing people who consider adopting a animal that was rescued from a puppy mill is that these are not premium health animals. There is a reason the mill was shut down and the animals were rescued...because the conditions were awful. Upon our arrival, we found our way into the house where the puppies are romping about. This is not a residential house but rather a house just to show the puppies to prospective adopting families. There is another kennel on-site and the adult dogs are kept in there but the "puppy house" is where the action is. When you first come in, Jennifer welcomes you and tells you a little about the different puppies and will help steer you to the right area to find what you might be looking for. There are 20 or so puppies in the house that are not housebroken so there is a urine smell. Jennifer and her volunteers try to keep up with all accidents but the puppies do walk through the pee and get it on their feet. As such, the puppies will smell a bit. And Jennifer makes it clear that these puppies have not been to a vet, she and her volunteers give the puppies their first shots and do their best to adopt out only animals that are healthy enough to be adopted. She tells everyone that their first step is to get a vet appt. She also tells people that if the vet finds anything wrong that is serious, you can get a full refund or exchange. I've adopted 7 rescued animals before and there are no guarantees that you have an animal in perfect health. Bottom line is that if you can't afford or don't want vet bills, you really shouldn't own any pets...they go hand-in-hand. Anyway, after about an hour playing with 6 or so different puppies, we settled on a very shy Lhasa-poo male. I suspect he has some kennel cough and needs a good vet check, something we have scheduled for tomorrow. I hope he is well but as I think I've made clear, I cannot be certain. I could never expect Jennifer or her volunteers to be certain. She rescues so many animals that there is no way she could afford to have a vet staff, not ideal for certain but what is the worse? Do you let the mills continue to treat animals the way they do or do you dedicate your life to rescue and do the best you can. There is no inhumane treatment at the Ranch. Sure, I'd like a pet store setting and my puppy to be vet checked prior to adoption, but think of that expense. Many pet stores buy from mills, either knowingly or not so is that a good option? There is a ton of info on the internet about adopting a rescued animal, it is not for everyone and it is your responsibility to go in armed with knowledge. Here is the best analogy I can think of: would you buy a car, 1000 miles away, without having seen the vehicle on eBay? This works for some people, and doesn't for many others. There are responsible breeders out there and if you are uneasy about adopting a rescued dog, then find one of those. You may very well still have a puppy with a medical condition that you are responsible to treat.

Bottom line: Jennifer has a personal conviction to shut down puppy mills. To do this, she needs to adopt out as many rescued animals as possible. If you consider adopting one of these animals, do your homework and know exactly what you are doing. Know your responsibilities and consider giving Jennifer and the Ranch volunteers a break. They really are trying hard and I bet none of us volunteer more hours towards our favorite charity or cause. I'll keep you updated on my puppy’s health.

• Je
      22nd of May, 2009
    Thyme and Sage Ranch - Animal Neglect
    Wisconsin

5 years ago a friend of mine made the mistake of letting Jennifer take a horse of hers. She could not afford him and was trying to find him a good home when Jennifer contacted her. It seemed like a good situation and so she let Jennifer have him. Within 6 months he went from a rating of 8 to a 1 on the horse condition scale. When it was suggested that perhaps her rescue was not the right fit for him and that she wanted him back - we were barred from the farm. I just pray that all of these animals are taken away from her and find a new chance at life. I don't know if he's still alive (highly unlikely), but if he is I'll be doing everything I can to adopt him.

I hope she gets the maximum sentence - it still wouldn't be enough to pay for all the suffering she has caused!!

• He
      30th of May, 2009

Jennifer Petkus of Thyme and Sage Ranch has been charged with 11 counts of animal cruelty. For additional information, Google her name or the name of her "rescue."