thunderbird formula boats / in the shop for 3 months

Mooresville, NC, United States Review updated:
2.5
I dropped my boat off on May 2, 2008 at Northpoint Watersports in Mooresville, North Carolina for some simple preventitive maintenance and minor warranty work. I made an appointment an was told it would be 3-5 days of work.
It is now mid August and I have missed an entire summer of boating. Family and friends have cancelled their trips. My son has gone away to school. My summer vacation time has ended. My newer boat is beached in the parking lot while the dealer blames the manufacturer and then the manufacturer stalls for the dealer. Meanwhile they have all come and gone from their summer vacations and conventions and my boat continues to sit neglected. My dock sits empty.
Formula Thunderbird boats do not stand behind their warranty or their words in their website mission statement. Northpoint Watersports has not phoned me one single time to update me on anything.
An oil change and some gel coat repairs do not need to take thhree months during prime boating season. Buy a boat from a manufacturer and dealer that cares about the reasons why you buy from them. ...and as the Formula site says, "walk the talk".
They just talk and crawl !

Comments

Ma
  19th of Aug, 2008
I heard Fomula is having financial hardship and maybe going under.

Im sure the dealer whats to ensure that they will get paid for warrenty work.

Bummer about your summer =(
Ba
  9th of Dec, 2009
I bought a new 353 formula fastech i will never purchase or recomend anybody to buy thunderbird product "formula boats". They do not stand behind the product they sell. It was a dream of mine as a kid at boat shows to someday own a formula. I wish the dream would not have come true. It is the worst warranty service and when you have a problem they hide behind lawyers. Ive been in litigation for 13 months for something that happened to me in my boat wich the dealer did not disclose had happened to them. I am furious and will not give up in my fight with the dealer and formula boats. I will talk to my attorney to see if i can post my situation without having any conflicts.
Ri
  28th of Dec, 2009
I would agree with both of you. Formula Boats is a good company but they are in trouble. For a company that usually built several hundred boats in 2006 and 2007 they may build 100 boats in 2009 and who knows what they will do in 2010. The amount of new boats they are able to sell directly impacts their ability to handle customer issues.

I just hope you do not have the VOLVO OSI composit drive on your boats. If that is the case you are in trouble. I could tell you stories about dealing with both Formula and Volvo with this issue. Good luck.